- Canon i550 and refilling Cartridges (or using non-branded carts)

Old August 2nd 03, 09:17 AM
Graham Chapman

Default - Canon i550 and refilling Cartridges (or using non-branded carts)

"tHatDudeUK" wrote in message

"tHatDudeUK" wrote in message
Just spent a while with Windows calc...

Shocking results...

BCI-3e colour holds 13ml
BCI-3ebk holds 26ml

60ml colour = £6.99
60ml black = £5.99

Special formulated ink total for full set inc 4 needles & syringes =

£31.45
inc postage etc

Cheap colour SVP cart (excl postage) = £1.99
Cheap black SVP cart (excl postage) = £2.24

£32.73 equivalent in SVP carts (compared with refill ink [black works out
least worth it but colour more than makes up]) (haven't worked out in
relation to SVP's refill ink..)

genuine Canon colour (from dabs excl postage) = £8.22 (or nearly £10 in
WHSmiths, do they still do 3 for price of 2?)
genuine Canon black (from dabs excl postage) = £8.22 (same again at
WHSmiths)

£132.78 equivalent genuine carts (compared with formulated refill ink
[assuming none is spilt or dries up etc].

That's a saving of over £100 for a total of 2 and a bit black refills and
nearly 5 colour refills each...!

Shocking considering I thought that the Canon carts were rather ok Priced,
esp in comparison with Lexmark et al which also reputedly print fewer

pages
than your average canon......

I think I'll save £100 and if it knackers my printer I'll buy a new one

with
the wad of cash I saved ;-) (subject to not spending it on an ADSL router

or
other nice bit of kit)

what are the results of using these compatible inks? I mean, do these inks
really damage your printer, or is it all hype?
Graham

Old August 2nd 03, 06:20 PM
tHatDudeUK

"Graham Chapman" wrote in message
what are the results of using these compatible inks? I mean, do these inks
really damage your printer, or is it all hype?
Graham

I'd like to know. We know the manufacturer's like to tell us to use only
genuine carts and refilling and non-genuine can damage the printer.

Old August 3rd 03, 12:08 AM
Peter Duck

In message
"tHatDudeUK" wrote:

what are the results of using these compatible inks? I mean, do these
inks really damage your printer, or is it all hype?

I'd like to know. We know the manufacturer's like to tell us to use only
genuine carts and refilling and non-genuine can damage the printer.

The 'gypsy's warnings' of printer-damage are inherently implausible as
regards makes in which the (thermal) print-heads are integral to the
tanks, i.e. most (all?) inkjets apart from Epson: the worst that could
even theoretically happen is that the cartridge-plus-head wouldn't
outlive many refills.

That said, Epsons, in which the (piezo) heads are part of the machine,
not the cartridge, don't seem in practice seem to suffer clear
ill-effects either, at least with the various inks and
'clone'-cartridges that my friends/acquaintances have used, most for
several years.
Some have *perhaps* been more prone to blocked jets if left unused for
too long - though that happens with genuine cartridges also - but
un-bunging them hasn't (yet) proved too tricky, or even time-consuming.

And, as has been pointed out, new (and ever-better) machines become
markedly cheaper year by year, which is certainly more than can be said
for the (genuine) cartridges ...

(Semi-)professional photo-printers, etc, might be concerned about
possible differences as regards colour-accuracy, fade- and
water-resistance, etc., but for most domestic/'home office' users
genuine cartridges IMO make little/no sense: I don't think I know anyone
who admits to spending their own money on them ...

--
Peter Duck