External Hard Drives

Old June 26th 04, 02:33 PM
James

Default External Hard Drives

Hi,

I'm looking for an external hard drive for my laptop, which doesn't have USB
2, anyone have any suggestions about models and where to buy etc? I'm in
the UK.

Thanks!

Old June 26th 04, 02:46 PM
Nik Simpson

James wrote:
Hi,

I'm looking for an external hard drive for my laptop, which doesn't
have USB 2, anyone have any suggestions about models and where to buy
etc? I'm in the UK.

Thanks!

USB2 drives should work just fine with USB 1.1 ports, I move my USB2 drive
around from USB1 to USB2 systems without problems.

--
Nik Simpson

Old June 26th 04, 02:49 PM
Al Dykes

In article ,
Nik Simpson wrote:
James wrote:
Hi,

I'm looking for an external hard drive for my laptop, which doesn't
have USB 2, anyone have any suggestions about models and where to buy
etc? I'm in the UK.

Thanks!

USB2 drives should work just fine with USB 1.1 ports, I move my USB2 drive
around from USB1 to USB2 systems without problems.

--
Nik Simpson

You can buy a USB2 PCMCIA card for a few bucks. Backup with USB1.1
works, but fast really better. Buy a USB2 disk. It will work with
USB1.1, and if you want more speed you can always buy the PCMCIA card.

--
Al Dykes
-----------
Old June 26th 04, 03:13 PM
Miss Perspicacia Tick

Nik Simpson wrote:
James wrote:
Hi,

I'm looking for an external hard drive for my laptop, which doesn't
have USB 2, anyone have any suggestions about models and where to buy
etc? I'm in the UK.

Thanks!

USB2 drives should work just fine with USB 1.1 ports, I move my USB2
drive around from USB1 to USB2 systems without problems.

Oh they'll work, but you can measure the data transfer time on a geological
timescale!

Old June 26th 04, 03:59 PM
Nik Simpson

Miss Perspicacia Tick wrote:
Nik Simpson wrote:
James wrote:
Hi,

I'm looking for an external hard drive for my laptop, which doesn't
have USB 2, anyone have any suggestions about models and where to
buy etc? I'm in the UK.

Thanks!

USB2 drives should work just fine with USB 1.1 ports, I move my USB2
drive around from USB1 to USB2 systems without problems.

Oh they'll work, but you can measure the data transfer time on a
geological timescale!

Transfer rates don't seem that bad, of course it depends on how you want to
use the drive, but for the purposes of moving some files around its
acceptable IMHO.

--
Nik Simpson

Old June 26th 04, 05:28 PM
Bill Todd

Nik Simpson wrote:
James wrote:
Hi,

I'm looking for an external hard drive for my laptop, which doesn't
have USB 2, anyone have any suggestions about models and where to
buy etc? I'm in the UK.

Thanks!

USB2 drives should work just fine with USB 1.1 ports, I move my USB2
drive around from USB1 to USB2 systems without problems.

Oh they'll work, but you can measure the data transfer time on a
geological timescale!

Transfer rates don't seem that bad, of course it depends on how you want

use the drive, but for the purposes of moving some files around its
acceptable IMHO.

No need to qualify that opinion: it's entirely acceptable for much or even
most use. Far faster than a broadband download, no noticeable delay at all
for smallish files (up to 100 - 200 KB), fast enough to stream audio and
most streaming video.

Only when moving data around in bulk (multi-MB files that aren't too
fragmented) will the 1.5 MB/sec transfer speed seem a bit leisurely. No,
you might not want to use it to perform a full-disk image copy (though I've
used it with Partition Magic to back up my laptop's half-full 2 GB system
partition to a spare 3.5" disk: well worth the wait if I ever need it).

- bill

Old June 29th 04, 06:30 AM
kony

On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 14:33:44 +0100, "James"
wrote:

Hi,

I'm looking for an external hard drive for my laptop, which doesn't have USB
2, anyone have any suggestions about models and where to buy etc? I'm in
the UK.

Thanks!

Does the laptop have firewire (1394)?
That is the preferred interface, it is faster than USB2 in use.
If you also needed another USB2 port, then USB might be a good
compromise solution, but if the only real need is the external
drive, get a firewire card and enclosure... keeping in mind that
you'd also need firewire on a desktop (if drive is to be moved
around), which some have but others don't.

External hard drives and cases Pete Homebuilt PC's 8 November 23rd 04 02:09 PM
Slow boot for GX1 PCs - Hard drives not recognized properly KWA Dell Computers 5 August 23rd 04 08:44 PM
External Hard Drives James General 17 June 30th 04 05:27 PM
External Hard Drives Edward W. Thompson Homebuilt PC's 0 August 26th 03 06:53 AM
newb questions about SCSI hard drives fred.do General 7 June 26th 03 01:59 AM