New disk for Dell GX1 - What Issues?

Old February 18th 04, 09:16 AM
BarryNL

Default New disk for Dell GX1 - What Issues?

The disk in a friend's Dell Optiplex GX1 seems to be dying (increasing
bad sector problems) so I'd like to put a new disk in there. However, I
doubt the BIOS in this thing can handle a 40Gb+ disk (currently has an
8.4Gb) - so I assume I will need a controller card too - is that right?

Also, if I fit a controller+disk and remove the current disk will it see
the new disk and boot automatically (once OS is installed), or does this
require BIOS changes. I ask as I can't get into the BIOS config screen
on this machine - it seems to have some wierd BIOS installed that
doesn't give a "press F1 to enter setup" option (it's peculiar to this
machine - other Dells I've used running the same? A07 BIOS allow entry
to the setup screen). However, I'm loathe to try installing a new BIOS
unless absolutely necessary in case there is something wierd with this
machine and I kill it.

Any experience out there?
Old February 18th 04, 02:03 PM
Roy Smith

I would suggest you try: forums.us.dell.com. This is a great site with a lot
of Dell experts who shoud be able to help you out.

Old February 18th 04, 04:53 PM
Ric

BarryNL wrote:
[...]

flash the bios if you're below A06 and they'll cope just fine with a 40GB
one - i've put 80GB plus in GX1s.
it will say on the screen what to press for the bios: normally F2.
you won't need to even do this if it's currently set to auto though, just
plug and go.

ric h

[Announcement] FlashBoot - a tool to make USB Flash Disks bootable PrimeExpert General 0 February 6th 05 05:58 PM
Computer Boots and Locks Up after 5 Seconds or so (Also, Boot Floppy Disk Issues)... Christopher Kurtis Koeber General 1 July 11th 04 09:18 PM
Best drive configuration? Noozer General 20 May 27th 04 03:10 AM
RAID card for my PC?? TANKIE General 5 May 22nd 04 01:09 AM
Lost Hard Disk Robert Brown Homebuilt PC's 2 October 9th 03 01:13 AM