newbie

Old July 11th 04, 09:25 PM
ivan

Default newbie

Nvida xfx nforce2 motherboard
AMD Athlon xp 3000+

Thermaltake 480w power supply

512 PC3200 DDR400 Memory

256mb G4 FX5600XT

machine seems to be runing fine but

1.can i over clock my processor how ?

2.read manual for bios but are there any setting i should be looking at

3. my FSB says 166mhz is this set correctl ? on boot up expected it to say
FSB400 mb ?

ps : looks good so far need good DVD writer now nec? or lg less than £100
recommend.pls

Old July 11th 04, 09:41 PM
Ted F

Is the AMD Athlon xp 3000+;

333FSB? OR 400FSB?

If its 333FSB go into the bios and slowly change the CPU clock speed one
point at a time(i.e 334FSB,335FSB ect.). REMEMBER...save the changes when
exiting the BIOS and reboot.

The same if you have 200FSB (i.e 201FSB, 202FSB ect.)

k...

Old July 11th 04, 11:32 PM
Wes Newell

On Sun, 11 Jul 2004 20:25:08 +0000, ivan wrote:

Nvida xfx nforce2 motherboard
AMD Athlon xp 3000+

Thermaltake 480w power supply

512 PC3200 DDR400 Memory

256mb G4 FX5600XT

machine seems to be runing fine but

1.can i over clock my processor how ?

Yes, Multiplier x FSB clock = cpu speed.
Can you change the multiplier? Can you change the FSB? The answer to these
questions are your answer.

Short answer, raise FSB to about 185. Raise vcore to t 1.85v (as needed).
That'll get you 2405MHz as long as you have a decent cpu, good cooler, no
ram problems, etc. If not, lower the FSB to 180, etc.

2.read manual for bios but are there any setting i should be looking at

Sure, all of them.

3. my FSB says 166mhz is this set correctl ?

If your 3000+ is a /333 model, then yes, that's default.

on boot up expected it to say FSB400 mb ?

Why?

ps : looks good so far need good DVD writer now nec? or lg less than
£100 recommend.pls

No comment.

Old July 14th 04, 06:55 AM
LostSoul

Like my xp 2500 barton is 333fsb processor running at 10 multiplier an 225
front side bus its UNLOCKED. I dont suggest big moves all at once on fsb as
this may cause instability or a no boot at all. If you run into a no boot
you may have to reset cmos to get back to defaults instructions should be in
youre manual for this unplug power to board before ressetting cmos then put
jumpers back on the way they first were. An yes that is correct if its a 333
fsb as 166 x 2 = double data rate 333.fsb. Everything is probably at default
now as it sounds. go little by little 167 save then if stable 168 save an so
on . Also i have oc memmory runnig at 2.8 volts my memmory spec tops at 2.75
manufacturer does not garantee voltage over 2.75 so im taking chance on
burning up memmory but its been stable at that for 1 year now to different
sticks running cas 2 -2 -2 -11 dual channel. High frontside bus pushes all
components above spec just wanted you to no ie memmory, harddrives,
processor etc. Agp is locked to 66 no matter what on nf7s v2.0 thank god
making it easier to overclock. Only turn up voltage on memmory if you cant
go higher with out doing so do at youre own discretion as i will not be
liable for this info. What works for me an others may not work for you. If
youre processor is locked you will not see higher or lower multipliers ie
8., 9.5, 10, 10.5,11 etc if you change them it will still be the same
multiplier even though you changed to 10, 11, 12 or whatever if its locked.
But you can still up the frontside bus. Im allmost not thouroughly but
almost certain you can get higher frontside bus. But please go gradually up
not hugh moves. If that pans out you may be able to manually set memmory
settings to lower = better. They are probably default too i dont know what
memmory youre running so i can only sprculate on that cas2 memmory = big +
for overclocking all thogh good memmory rated at 3 can do to at a lower
frontside bus like 166 or even 200 in my case an then some but i can lower
multiplier an this helps get better memmory bandwidth an speed. In
conjuntion with frontside bus an memmory settings hope this helps. Hope this
helps an i didnt lose you. Also playing with all the above takes time an
patience to find the best settings took me weeks at first till i got the
feel for the board nf7s v2.0 is good board. P.S. I was not rushing to do
this took my damm time. OK spelling police can tear this info up an smudge
my face in mud im done Peace

Old July 14th 04, 07:09 AM
LostSoul

Oh an keep an eye on temps on cpu an northbridge you may need to up the
voltage on northbridge or vcore mine is at 1.75. WATCH YOURE TEMPS Also
good tool for memmory stability after you get higher frontside bus an you
fell its stable is memtest 86 look for it on google youll have to extract on
to floppy an boot from floppy when youre done. Youre goal is to have no
errors or youll have to drop frontside bus down a little at a time to get no
errors. then try games or aquamark 3d or 3dmark 03 this will definately test
an stress youre system for stabilty no crashes = good. Watch temps after
those specifically Temps are key allways.
bye