ECS K7S5A Pro

Old September 20th 03, 10:36 AM
Andy Scott

Default ECS K7S5A Pro

Hi,

I recently built a system for my cousin. The system consists of an AMD
2400+, ECS K7S5A Pro motherboard, 512 PC2100 DDR memory, and a PNY Geforce
FX 5200 128 mb DDR. After no less then two weeks of using the system my
cousin called my and stated the computer would not boot up. This was so bad
to point it would not even boot to safe mode, or run the Windows XP setup
from the boot CD. If I tried to boot to Windows XP it would display the
Windows XP splash screen with the progress bar and not too long after the
progress bar would completely stop moving. I went to their home and tried
three different components. I tried a new video card, then new memory, and
finally tried another motherboard of the same make and model (ECS K7S5A
Pro). Well it turned out it was the motherboard after trying each of the
components. So its been almost three months later and I just was notified
that it is doing the same thing again. I am probably going to just get a
different type of motherboard. I will now have motherboards that need to be
returned to the OEM.

I have never seen anything like this before,and I have no idea what is
causing the issue. If anyone has seen this issue, or has any suggestions I
would greatly appreciate it.

andy scott

Old September 20th 03, 11:17 AM
Buck Turgidson

Interesting. I have the same mobo, but with Windows 2000. Recently, upon
booting, it will go through the BIOS check, it usually doesn't even try and load
the OS, and it hangs. I have seen it try and load the OS, and start the progess
bar, but usually not.

. net...

Old September 20th 03, 01:49 PM
AD C

Andy Scott wrote:

[...]

I got my nephew and a mate of mine one of these boards and so far it
been ok, my nephew been using his now for about 4 months, nice board for
the price, but i have heard that some do have problems, have you updated
the bios? That is the first thing i was told to do on these boards by
other people who have used them.

Old September 20th 03, 05:09 PM
kony

On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 09:36:57 GMT, "Andy Scott" wrote:

[...]

I would consider those boards to be very poorly designed when it comes
to lifespan.. the typical low-cost heatsink when mounted on that board
will exhaust up and down, allowing the power regulation circuitry to
the left of the socket to get quite hot, wearing out the capacitors.
You might inspect those capacitors for signs of failure like vented or
domed tops, leaking or residue, etc. There's a good chance that
replacing those caps will solve the problem (but not a certainty if no
signs of cap failure) but cap replacement certainly isn't something
everyone is likely to do, nor is it cost-effective to have a shop do
it.

Dave
Old September 20th 03, 05:36 PM
Mitchua

I used that mobo for a couple months and it was pretty good. It didn't have
the same preformance as my similarly equiped Asus board, but it never caused
me any grief like the Asus.

Are you sure the power supply is ok?

--Mitchua

Old September 20th 03, 05:42 PM
spodosaurus

Mitchua wrote:
I used that mobo for a couple months and it was pretty good. It didn't have
the same preformance as my similarly equiped Asus board, but it never caused
me any grief like the Asus.

Are you sure the power supply is ok?

Interesting question...nothing like a faulty PSU to repeatedly kill
components. I've seen it happen...destroyed just about everything
across two systems (two systems because the components were replaced
after the first meltdown, but the shop didn't replace the PSU).

Ari

--Mitchua

--

Are you registered as a bone marrow donor? You regenerate what you
donate. You are offered the chance to donate only if you match a person

spam trap: replace shyah_right! with hotmail when replying

Old September 20th 03, 10:38 PM
Mitchua

spodosaurus" wrote in message
Mitchua wrote:
I used that mobo for a couple months and it was pretty good. It didn't

have
the same preformance as my similarly equiped Asus board, but it never

caused
me any grief like the Asus.

Are you sure the power supply is ok?

Interesting question...nothing like a faulty PSU to repeatedly kill
components. I've seen it happen...destroyed just about everything
across two systems (two systems because the components were replaced
after the first meltdown, but the shop didn't replace the PSU).

Ari

There's a horror story. Check out my "Games freezing = power/temp
troubles?" posting for another one. I'll *NEVER* use a generic PSU again.

--Mitchua

Old September 20th 03, 11:42 PM
SPS 700

I have five ECS K7S5A both pro & non pro boards running in computers and
have built bout 25-30 more for friends & family. My oldest one is pushing
over 2yrs. Not the world's best motherboard but a good one for the price. A
few things I do to try and elimate problems a 1.Install them in a large
case & add case cooling fans, the non pro version is quite a large
motherboard and haviing drives over the motherboard increases heat on it.
2.Use a good quality power supply, most of mine are 250W but are good ones.
3.I have updated the bios using Honey X bios, seems to eliminate the "lost
cmos" problem although this becomes less of a problem the older the
motherboard becomes. It also allows you to overclock the CPU. 4.They seem to
some batches of boards that are bad. I personally have only had two boards
that were bad out of about 35. The cost structure does not allow them(and
about every other motherbad maker) to test the boards as they come off the
assembly lines. If you get a bad board, take it back for a replacement one.
As far as performence in relation to other boards I have had an Asus, Soyo &
Epox boards. None fo these I have had were exactly screamers either. In fact
the Soyo & Epox are in the dead board box.

Old September 21st 03, 08:33 PM
Andy Scott

I was not aware that this would have anything to do with it, but my cousin
called me the next day to let me know that the issue was fixed. They said
the processor speed must have been clocked down from 133 to 100 and this was
causing the system not to boot up correctly. This is an AMD Athlon 2400+
that was running at 1800+ when it was not booting. I was happy to know that
the motherboard is not completely ruined. I still have another motherboard
of the same make and model that I need to return to ECS. I have been to
their webpage and finding an RMA process is just a pain. If anyone has any
suggestions for how to do this I'll appreciate that.

Thank you for the fixes for this motherboard.

andy

Old September 21st 03, 09:49 PM
kony

On Sun, 21 Sep 2003 19:33:48 GMT, "Andy Scott" wrote:

I was not aware that this would have anything to do with it, but my cousin
called me the next day to let me know that the issue was fixed. They said
the processor speed must have been clocked down from 133 to 100 and this was
causing the system not to boot up correctly. This is an AMD Athlon 2400+
that was running at 1800+ when it was not booting. I was happy to know that
the motherboard is not completely ruined. I still have another motherboard
of the same make and model that I need to return to ECS. I have been to
their webpage and finding an RMA process is just a pain. If anyone has any
suggestions for how to do this I'll appreciate that.

Thank you for the fixes for this motherboard.

That sounds a little off/odd/fishy/etc... generally it would be more
likely to boot at the lower FSB speed, just reducing that doesn't
introduce any new problems. I wonder if there was a BIOS
configuration problem other than the FSB speed, that somehow in the
process of the BIOS reverting to default values and then being set to
appropriate speed, the problem setting, was "fixed".

Dave