T-Bred 2600+ & ASUS A7N8X v2.0

Old October 23rd 03, 11:40 AM
Wayne Youngman

Default T-Bred 2600+ & ASUS A7N8X v2.0

Hi,

My friend has the following:

AMD T-Bred 2600+
ASUS A7N8X v2.0
2x256MB PC3200
Etc. . . .

He is currently running it all at default but is interested in pushing it a
little (as long as it's stable!). Since I have just successfully built and
overclocked a new AMD system for myself I am feeling confident I can help
him tweak his system, thing is I have no experience of ASUS boards (I use
and ABIT NF7-S v2.0). Also I don't know what the default settings are for a
XP2600+ (FSB-MHz x Multi??) and the resulting frequency? (2.1Ghz??).

Is it fairly straight forward to overclock the ASUS? like are the settings
for FSB, Multiplier, vCore, vDimm, chipset voltage all in a convenient
section of the BIOS? or are some of them jumper settings?

My friend seemed to think that his multiplier was locked? is this the case
with a T-Bred (or is it the A7N8X deluxe?). . . I know ABIT boards have that
5th bit thingy, but I thought all nForce2 (Ultra 400) boards automatically
unlock a T-Bred/Barton CPU?

If I could get his system running on a 200MHz-FSB that would be cool, better
still would be to get the CPU overclocked also!

Thanks for any advice or tips
--
Wayne ][

Barton (AQXEA) XP2500+ @ 2.2GHz (10x220) - 1.75vCore
CoolerMaster Aero 7 Lite - 3,200rpm
ABIT NF7-S (v2.0 - BIOS#14)
512MB Dual TwiSTER PC3500 @ DDR440 1:1 (8,3,3,2.0 - 2.8v)
Sapphire Atlantis 9800 - 3.3ns Samsung
240GB (2x120GB) WD-SE SATA RAID-0 (16k Stripe)
Antec SX630II Mini-Tower Case Inc 300w PSU
WinXP-PRO-SP1
Cat 3.7 - DX9.0b

Old October 23rd 03, 11:53 AM
Ben Pope

Wayne Youngman wrote:
Hi,

My friend has the following:

AMD T-Bred 2600+
ASUS A7N8X v2.0
2x256MB PC3200
Etc. . . .

He is currently running it all at default but is interested in pushing it
a little (as long as it's stable!). Since I have just successfully built
and overclocked a new AMD system for myself I am feeling confident I can
help him tweak his system, thing is I have no experience of ASUS boards
(I use and ABIT NF7-S v2.0). Also I don't know what the default settings
are for a XP2600+ (FSB-MHz x Multi??) and the resulting frequency?
(2.1Ghz??).

If the 2600+ is a 333 FSB, then it's 166MHz * 12.5 (I think)

Is it fairly straight forward to overclock the ASUS? like are the settings
for FSB, Multiplier, vCore, vDimm, chipset voltage all in a convenient
section of the BIOS? or are some of them jumper settings?

FSB, Multiplier, vCore, vDimm are all in the BIOS, there is no chipset
voltage available. The Uber BIOS enables the option, but it appears not to
do anything on the board.

My friend seemed to think that his multiplier was locked? is this the case
with a T-Bred (or is it the A7N8X deluxe?). . . I know ABIT boards have
that 5th bit thingy, but I thought all nForce2 (Ultra 400) boards
automatically unlock a T-Bred/Barton CPU?

You don't need to unlock the chips as they are unlocked already. You just
need to be able to change the multiplier and FSB.

The Asus doesn't have the ability to change the 5th bit, but if the default
multiplier is 12.5 (but not more) then that should not be a problem, as you
will probably raise the FSB to at least 200MHz and therefore likely to
reduce multiplier. If you do not, you would be attempting to hit 2.5GHz,
which would be a monster overclock.

If I could get his system running on a 200MHz-FSB that would be cool,
better still would be to get the CPU overclocked also!

Best bet is to aim for 2.2GHz - keep an eye on temps and go for 200MHz*11.

Ben

Old October 23rd 03, 11:56 PM
Wayne Youngman

"Ben Pope" wrote
snip
If the 2600+ is a 333 FSB, then it's 166MHz * 12.5 (I think)

The Asus doesn't have the ability to change the 5th bit, but if the

default
multiplier is 12.5 (but not more) then that should not be a problem, as

you
will probably raise the FSB to at least 200MHz and therefore likely to
reduce multiplier. If you do not, you would be attempting to hit 2.5GHz,
which would be a monster overclock.

Best bet is to aim for 2.2GHz - keep an eye on temps and go for 200MHz*11.

Hi Mr Pope,

thanks for reply, that pretty much answers all my questions. Yes I believe
I should be able to crank out at least 10% better overall performance then.
BTW how is the FSB over 200MHz on the ASUS?
--
Wayne ][

Old October 24th 03, 08:15 AM
Dirty Harry

had my barton going at 218*11, i run it at 210*11.5 now, on water. I think
they will work good over 200 as long as u have good ram.
"Wayne Youngman" wrote in message

"Ben Pope" wrote
snip

Old October 24th 03, 09:02 AM
Ben Pope

Wayne Youngman wrote:
Hi Mr Pope,

thanks for reply, that pretty much answers all my questions. Yes I
believe I should be able to crank out at least 10% better overall
performance then. BTW how is the FSB over 200MHz on the ASUS?

Well I don't really know, I get errors in Prime95 at 200MHz FSB. My Ram is
good for 220MHz though.

Ben

Asus a7n8x and Matrox G400 VP General 1 January 31st 04 03:11 AM
Asus A7N8X Deluxe or Epox EP-8RGA+ MB? E. Rust III Overclocking AMD Processors 3 October 9th 03 03:54 AM
Help with failed Asus A7N8X overclock attempt Ollie Pruitt Overclocking 6 August 23rd 03 03:38 AM
ASUS A7N8X Deluxe USB Questions (long) Space--Coyote Overclocking AMD Processors 0 July 25th 03 01:18 PM
Random reboot on asus a7n8x deluxe Bob Overclocking AMD Processors 2 June 24th 03 09:51 PM