Upgrade Problems

Old July 23rd 03, 07:32 PM
Ed_

Default Upgrade Problems

I have been doing a little upgrading of my granddaughter's Gateway Performance
500. I replaced the sound card and the video card and did a clean install of
Windoze XP. Here are the new specs.

Gateway Performance 500
Intel WS440BX, Intel82440BX chipset
Intel P-3, 500MHz
384 Mb PC-100 Sdram(Micron)
MSI Geforce4 MX-440 AGP8X 64mb
Viewsonic VPA 145 LCD Monitor
Turtle Beach Santa Cruz SonicFury
WD40 hardrive on TXT2 Ultra ATA-133 Controller
Mat****a DVD 32X(Panasonic)
Philips CDRW 2x
Instant wireless PCI Card
WAN PPP/SLIP Interface
200-Watt 3.3-Volt LP Power Suppy with 700ma Revision 7

Now the problem is that the sound during MP3 and cdr playback is stuttering.
It's kind of a vibrato skipping sound that also occurs sporadically when
accessing the hard drive or just net surfing. It appears that something is
causing a conflict.

I have disabled the serial ports in the bios and removed an unused modem but
Windoze keeps assigning IRQ 5 to the Promise card, sound card and the wireless
pci card, even after moving the soundcard to another slot. IRQ 2, 7 and 10 are
unused and 3 & 4 are assigned to the com ports. I have also loaded the lates
nvidia drivers and the drivers for the nic card and the Santa Cruz are correct
for xp.

This machine was running 98 before this and P&Play is enabled in the bios.
Should I disable this? Can anyone offer some advice or a suggestion. Other than
this problem all seems to be going very well with the rest of the upgrade. No
errors in DM or in the system events.

TIA, Ed

Old August 7th 03, 05:01 PM
rAD

Sometimes sound problems are solved by just "uninstalling" the device and
redetecting it. Same goes for any hardware.