acoustic foam

Old August 5th 03, 01:02 PM
Rocketman

Default acoustic foam

Is there anything special about the acoustic foam used in computer cases
for dampening noise? Can I use any sound proofing foam found in car
stereo supply stores or Home Depot?

I found some at my local CompUSA for $20 (I think 4 sheets: 2 17x15in
and 2 17x7in). Anyone tried them?

Old August 5th 03, 02:29 PM
Mitchua

I've read a lot of articles that said it won't help that much. You're
better off with a good, solid case with rubber rings around your screws, etc
to reduce vibration. The acustic foam can't really help with load fans
blowing out the back (which open holes for any noisy components inside).

Check out http://www.quietpc.com/ . They have some "Acoutic foam" if you
want to compare the dimensions to your Home Depot foam.

Good luck!

--Mitchua

Old August 5th 03, 07:26 PM
Ed Light

I coated my case with Akasa foam and it is quieter, but the sides of the
case no longer cool the air, so the temps are higher.

If your cooling isn't marginal to begin with then it's ok.
--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Old August 7th 03, 06:34 AM
Mickey Mouse

I think there is a company called akasa that sells matting material to
deaden sound. It seems like the thicker the case walls the more sound it
could absorb.

I was looking at this once and was at a site that sold sound obsorbtion
material to line automobiles for people who want to drown out all the road
noise to increase stereo quality. That might be something to look at.

You could just but shag carpeting to scatter the sound to reduce the
resonance of a metal case. A lot of noise is cause by metal cases being
flat and cavernous. Maybe if you could make some baffles at the front the
sound would not come straight out of the front ventillation. If it had to
sneak around a couple soulnd obsorbing panels maybe the would cause the
sound more trouble getting out.

When you think about it, a guitar is a cavernous container that is designed
to amplify sound. A case can amplify sound like a drum or a guitar. Having
fans only on the back of the case may help. If you mod a case by cutting
out the back of the circle and using a grill probably will be less vibration
from the fan. The air strainging to get through those small circles can
acutually cause more noise.

Old August 7th 03, 01:14 PM
Allen_L

"Rocketman" wrote in message

Is there anything special about the acoustic foam used in computer
cases for dampening noise? Can I use any sound proofing foam found
in car stereo supply stores or Home Depot?

I found some at my local CompUSA for $20 (I think 4 sheets: 2
17x15in
and 2 17x7in). Anyone tried them?

If your speaking of Dynamat, I used it on the sides of a case that had some
air holes drilled near the front. Could hear the hard drives activate and
all sound 'came' through the so called vent hole. Case is an Antec
model...don't recall the number off hand. Just be careful when you apply it.
I used a roller to smash it down as thin as possible so the case sides would
slide back on and clear everything, only to have it come through the air
hole toward the outside. Made a hell of a mess...finally got it cleaned up!
Case is much quieter now however. Computer runs cooler now with a front case
fan and one back case fan (plus power supply fan) both stepped down to 7
volts, than it did with the open 'breathing holes'.

....Allen