help request - no-boot blank-screen no-POST problem

Old April 16th 04, 07:09 AM
Sean M

Default help request - no-boot blank-screen no-POST problem

My computer has gone a bit brain-dead.

History:
Over the last month or so, the power supply's fans have gotten much noisier
than usual. Also, it sometimes would have problems cold-booting - it simply
wouldn't boot, but hitting the reset button a few times would solve that.
These two issues did not appear to interfere with normal operation - once
the computer was actually booted, it was fully (and noisily) functional and
no other issues arose.

Relevant hardwa
Tyan Tiger MPX s2466n mobo, 1 Athlon XP 1800
1 gb RAM
Gainward GeForce4 Ti 4600 video
iCute 4 450w PSU

Current symptoms:
On boot, the system does nothing. Power goes on, fans turn on, optical
drives get power, hard drives spin up. However, nothing appears on the
screen and the monitor lights indicate that it isn't recieving any signal.
Repeated resets solved this problem before, and now they do not.

I've Tried:
Subbing in known-good monitor, video card, and PSU, one at a time. None of
these solved the problem - PSU and monitor simply result in the same
symptons. Different video card (switching in a voodoo2 instead of a
geforce4Ti) resulted in no boot and a long-short-short beep error. This is
even more confusing, since the BIOS that this mobo (tyan tiger MPX s2466n)
uses is a Phoenix BIOS, which isn't supposed to do long/short beeps. Since
the GeForce has to use an adapter to connect to my monitor, I tried using a
known-good adapter. Didn't solve anything. All cards are firmly seated and
re-seated or just removed, all cables are plugged in firmly to the right
places. RAM is known-good.

I'm stuck. At this point, it seems to me that the most likely culprits are
PSU, mobo, or video card, but it could still be a number of other things

Thanks in advance,
Old April 16th 04, 07:30 AM
Donald McMorris - Ospitare International

My hunch would be that the voodoo2 may possibly be bad, resulting in that.
My suggestion would be to swap out the PS, try the voodoo2 (clear the CMOS)
and try that. Also, remove the vid card and report any beeping you recieve.
If the beeping is identical, then the vid card is not compatible/not
working. If this is the case, and the orig card performs no beepin in the
sys, then I would obtain yet another card to test.

But, in all, the first thing I would do is replace the PSU.

--Don

. com...

Old April 16th 04, 10:03 AM
NoDVD+/-R

Voodoo2 is not a 2D card, its a 3D card, need a 2D card to boot the screen.

"Donald McMorris - Ospitare International" ¼¶¼g©ó¶l
.. .
My hunch would be that the voodoo2 may possibly be bad, resulting in that.
My suggestion would be to swap out the PS, try the voodoo2 (clear the

CMOS)
and try that. Also, remove the vid card and report any beeping you

recieve.
If the beeping is identical, then the vid card is not compatible/not
working. If this is the case, and the orig card performs no beepin in the
sys, then I would obtain yet another card to test.

But, in all, the first thing I would do is replace the PSU.

--Don

. com...