usb ports

Old April 12th 04, 12:48 AM
Magdalena Reissig

Default usb ports

I have a Dell dimension 8100 with Windows 2000. It has 4 USB
connections built in in the back. I presume that is what is called "a
hub". I have had recent trouble installing a 3200 Epson scanner. Epson
tells me that the scanner has to be installed in a "self powered first
tier configuration". I presume that plugging the scanner directly into
the computer back is first tier, but how do I know if it self
powered?. I realize I may have other problems, but first I have to be
sure that the computer meets the requirements. Thanks.
Old April 12th 04, 12:53 AM
Random Poster

Magdalena Reissig wrote:
I have a Dell dimension 8100 with Windows 2000. It has 4 USB
connections built in in the back. I presume that is what is called "a
hub". I have had recent trouble installing a 3200 Epson scanner. Epson
tells me that the scanner has to be installed in a "self powered first
tier configuration". I presume that plugging the scanner directly into
the computer back is first tier, but how do I know if it self
powered?. I realize I may have other problems, but first I have to be
sure that the computer meets the requirements. Thanks.

Ok, typically a usb hub is an external device which come in two
flavours. Self powered and externally powered. Self powered draw their
power through the usb cable itself, externally powered plug into the
mains. Since your ports are on the back of your machine they must be
self powered.

Just whack it into the back of your machine and it'll most likely
auto-detect for you. Hope this helps

Old April 16th 04, 06:21 AM
Donald McMorris - Ospitare International

In general, plugging it directly into the back of the PC will provide
sufficient power, and would be first-tier.

om...