Capacitors in PSU are dangerous?

Old April 20th 04, 01:54 AM
beav AT wn DoT com DoT au

half_pint wrote:
"Ken" wrote in message

On Sun, 18 Apr 2004 15:29:18 +0100, Michael Salem
wrote:

All Europe use 230V today. UK adapted from 240V to 230V
and the other countries from 220V to 230 volts.

Nobody ACTUALLY changed their voltage, at least initially.

In Sweden we did change from 220V to 230V a long time ago.
Yes I could measure that on my volt meter.
230.5V on all 3 phases and 400V between the phases 5 minutes ago.

You have 3 phase domestic power supplies in Sweden?

You can have it in Australia if you ask for it...

--
-Luke-
If cars had advanced at the same rate as Micr0$oft technology, they'd be
Old April 20th 04, 02:05 AM
beav AT wn DoT com DoT au

GB wrote:
The only PSU I had where the fan failed pretty much melted itself into a
heap of slag before the rest of it failed. It was only then that I found out
about the problem. Fortunately, it did not take anything else with it when
its soul went off to that great electronic warehouse in the sky.

We get them in with noisy fans - bearings stuffed basicly. That's about
it tho. It does happen.

Old April 20th 04, 02:14 AM
beav AT wn DoT com DoT au

half_pint wrote:
PLONK for being a **** and an idiot

Q: Why is bottom posting so annoying?
A: See note at end of file.

PLONK for being a dumbass who *obviously* hasn't read the FAQs for any
technical newsgroup.

parting shot
No, /don't/ guess. Electricity kills.

Old April 20th 04, 02:17 AM
beav AT wn DoT com DoT au

VWWall wrote:

A 0.1 Farad at 300 V is more than a "decent sized" capacitor. For
example most PC PSUs contain two 470 mfd capacitors each charged to
about 160 V. The energy stored is 1/2 C E^2 = 1/2 470 x 10^-6 x 160 x160.
This is about 6 J or 12 J for the two. This would keep a 12 W bulb lit
for one second.

So what do you call a 5 farad cap?

Old April 20th 04, 02:17 AM
half_pint

Care to hazard a guess as to which newsreader 90% of users use?
You might win a coconut.
Need a clue? Click 'help' then 'about'.
It will even tell you your version number, your's is 6.00.2800.1106
by the way. :O|
About time you upgrade that old email client to the latest version?
You won't regret it :O|

half_pint.

"Kevin Lawton" wrote in message
half_pint wrote:

|| Bottom posting means you have to loads of unnecessary scrolling to real
oneliner.

I guess that depends on whether you are using a proper newsreader program

or
just any old e-mail client to read newsgroups.

Kevin.

Old April 20th 04, 02:23 AM
half_pint

"beav AT wn DoT com DoT au" "beav AT wn DoT com DoT au" wrote in message

wrote:

All Europe use 230V today. UK adapted from 240V to 230V
and the other countries from 220V to 230 volts.

Nobody ACTUALLY changed their voltage, at least initially.

In Sweden we did change from 220V to 230V a long time ago.
Yes I could measure that on my volt meter.
230.5V on all 3 phases and 400V between the phases 5 minutes ago.

You have 3 phase domestic power supplies in Sweden?

You can have it in Australia if you ask for it...

Is there any point?
Can you actually buy any domestic apps which use three phase?

Probably a Dyson which will suck your carpet off the floor no doubt.

Old April 20th 04, 02:26 AM
half_pint

half_pint wrote:
PLONK for being a **** and an idiot

Q: Why is bottom posting so annoying?
A: See note at end of file.

PLONK for being a **** who does.

parting shot
No, /don't/ guess. Electricity kills.

Only if you are not wearing rubber soled shoes when I invite you round for
dinner.
I 'guess' you were not expecting that?

Old April 20th 04, 03:26 AM
kony

On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 23:04:35 +0100, "half_pint"
wrote:

Your full of crap, the reason why the PC's you had to give away were
slow was because of the idiot who screw them up.

I am sure the recipient had most of its problems sorted out in a jiffy
resulting in the machine out performing the one you paid a fortune
for and then screwed up through sheer ignorance and imcompetance,
in a similar manner.

As for Kony, he says

that you are wrong, on many different levels.
Old April 20th 04, 03:26 AM
Timothy Daniels

"ric" asked:
Timothy Daniels wrote:

I took a board from a power supply, that is quite typical, the basic
filtering components between the AC socket and the rectifier, NOTHING
after the rectifier... no bleeder resistors, no further power supply
components at all beyond the rectifier By attaching the capacitor
directly to rectifier output we would have an absolute worst case
scenario, there is no way for the cap to drain slower than that no matter
what else had failed in a power supply.

What about the reverse leakage current in the rectifier? Doesn't
that amount to a bleeder resistor?

Current path would be...???

Backward through the rectifier. Besides being semi-conductors,
they're semi-insulators.

*TimDaniels*
Old April 20th 04, 03:30 AM
Timothy Daniels

"beav AT wn DoT com DoT au" wrote:

So what do you call a 5 farad cap?

"Ground".

*TimDaniels*

Dangerous upgrades, be aware !!! sigmun General 1 February 5th 04 08:29 PM
Leaking capacitors DFC General 15 January 22nd 04 07:53 PM
So few capacitors on motherboard? larrymoencurly General 32 January 8th 04 09:05 PM
FS: Lots of 500: 50V 22uF Electrolytic Capacitors :: $ 27 SHIPPED Jerry Rakar General 0 December 31st 03 10:45 PM