InCD 5.5 First Impressions & Problem

Old September 19th 06, 01:48 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr
Pokus Hokus

Default InCD 5.5 First Impressions & Problem

Writes to CD's that had previously been written with Drag to Disk however
the Drag to Disc version used in Roxio 9 is UDF 2.0 so you need to change
the default setting in Nero.

The one big problem with InCD for me is that it changes the dates of files
when they are copied from hard drive to CD and sets them as the date of
copy. This is a big problem for photo collections if you are transferring
them to a CD as they can no longer be sorted by date at a later stage.

I now use Nero with Drag to Disk and hope one day Nero will give the option
in InCD of retaining the date and time when copying.

Would be interested if anybody new of a way round the date problem with InCD
because I dislike having to have any Roxio product choking up my computer
with unwanted items especially as InCD now writes to write once CD's

Old September 19th 06, 04:40 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr
Dave Cohen

Pokus Hokus wrote:
Writes to CD's that had previously been written with Drag to Disk however
the Drag to Disc version used in Roxio 9 is UDF 2.0 so you need to change
the default setting in Nero.

The one big problem with InCD for me is that it changes the dates of files
when they are copied from hard drive to CD and sets them as the date of
copy. This is a big problem for photo collections if you are transferring
them to a CD as they can no longer be sorted by date at a later stage.

I now use Nero with Drag to Disk and hope one day Nero will give the option
in InCD of retaining the date and time when copying.

Would be interested if anybody new of a way round the date problem with InCD
because I dislike having to have any Roxio product choking up my computer
with unwanted items especially as InCD now writes to write once CD's

Well, that's interesting. I have Sonic software but rarely use it's udf
utility (dla) and I've never checked file dates but was surprised by
your post since that isn't what I would have expected.
So I popped a formatted disk in the burner and am happy to say dla does
not mess with the date. I can't be absolutely sure what version of udf
it supports but nowhere does it mention 2.0 so my guess it isn't
Dave Cohen
Old September 19th 06, 07:05 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr
smh

Mike Richter, were you born with
"Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
--------------------------------------

Pokus Hokus wrote:

Writes to CD's that had previously been written with Drag to Disk however
the Drag to Disc version used in Roxio 9 is UDF 2.0 so you need to change
the default setting in Nero.

The one big problem with InCD for me is that it changes the dates of files
when they are copied from hard drive to CD and sets them as the date of
copy. This is a big problem for photo collections if you are transferring
them to a CD as they can no longer be sorted by date at a later stage.

I now use Nero with Drag to Disk and hope one day Nero will give the option
in InCD of retaining the date and time when copying.

Would be interested if anybody new of a way round the date problem with InCD
because I dislike having to have any Roxio product choking up my computer
with unwanted items especially as InCD now writes to write once CD's

The bug appeared with Nero 7.2.7.0 and reported he
http://tinyurl.com/s6awb

Try the latest Nero 7.5.1.1 (InCD 5.5.0.5):
http://ww2.nero.com/nero7/enu/nero7-up.php

If the bug is still there, downgrade Nero to older than 7.2.7.0. Can't
give Ahead ftp link as they are swamped.
..

Mike Richter - The Slimiest Friggin SOB (UDF)

The slimiest friggin SOB Mike Richter has been for YEARS
blaming the UDF to weasel out the bugs of DirectCD:

UDF is a fragile format
UDF is an unreliable format

the format is very fragile and unreliable
The format is bad - it loses data
The fault is not with the software but with the format

There is an inherent problem in UDF

I have used only DCD for packet writing,
have had no problems due to the software
- but too many due to the format itself

to bother with it any longer.

But then again:

======================
From: Mike Richter (The Slimiest Friggin ****)
Date: 5/4/06
Subject: UDF Has just bit me in the bum

I have used UDF for many years, but yesterday I had my first
corruption. I am now wondering whether to bother with UDF

First, your problem is not with UDF
======================

-------------------------------
Wow! What a slimy friggin SOB!
Mikey, you are The Slimiest Friggin SOB!
Old September 19th 06, 07:23 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr
Pokus Hokus

Thanks SMH & Dave Cohen
It was in version 7.5.1.1 that I first found the problem, I had not used
InCD in version 7.2.7.0 so did not realize it was also a problem in that
version.
It is a pity because the new version of InCD is very good except for the
date problem.
Re DLA it was pre installed on my computer but I took it off because it was
suposed to have a conflict with Nero.

. --------------------------------------

.

Old September 19th 06, 07:33 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr
smh

Pokus Hokus wrote:

Writes to CD's that had previously been written with Drag to Disk however
the Drag to Disc version used in Roxio 9 is UDF 2.0 so you need to change
the default setting in Nero.

The one big problem with InCD for me is that it changes the dates of files
when they are copied from hard drive to CD and sets them as the date of
copy. This is a big problem for photo collections if you are transferring
them to a CD as they can no longer be sorted by date at a later stage.

I now use Nero with Drag to Disk and hope one day Nero will give the option
in InCD of retaining the date and time when copying.

Would be interested if anybody new of a way round the date problem with InCD
because I dislike having to have any Roxio product choking up my computer
with unwanted items especially as

InCD now writes to write once CD's

You have the latest Nero (and surprised InCD time stamp bug hasn't been
fixed). You need to downgrade Nero to prior to 7.2.7.0 and forgo cd-r
support.
..

Old September 19th 06, 11:05 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr
Gerry_uk

Hi,

Luckily I don't have to use Nero - always hated it. I do use InCD
4.3.23.2 and have never seen this date problem, however there is an
idiotic problem in many versions of InCD which I reported to Ahead.

The problem is, that it udpates the "Last Accessed" date/time stamp on
EVERY file access (even read only) which makes the whole thing MUCH
slower than it should be! I reported it over a year ago. Direct CD does
not have this problem - the original Adaptec engineers knew what they
were doing, not sure about later "Roxio" versions.

The response from Ahead was pathetic - "we value your feedback and will
pass on your suggestion to the appropriate team". Waste of time.

Luckily for CD-R we have open source solutions, but I don't think
there's anything open source that does CD-RW and DVD-RAM with UDF 1.5,
2.0 packet writing yet...

. --------------------------------------

Old September 19th 06, 11:13 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr
Gerry_uk

Hi,

the Drag to Disc version used in Roxio 9 is UDF 2.0 so you need to change
the default setting in Nero.

I assume you were aware of the UDF version being used when you wrote
your first ever disk with Roxio? I don't see this as an issue.

The one big problem with InCD for me is that it changes the dates of files
when they are copied from hard drive to CD and sets them as the date of
copy.

I assume they acted like idiots when you reported it and left it broken
over multiple minor releases?

I now use Nero with Drag to Disk and hope one day Nero will give the option
in InCD of retaining the date and time when copying.

Is it all one program now?? InCD used to be totally separate to Nero.
I'd never want Nero on any of my machines.

Would be interested if anybody new of a way round the date problem with InCD
because I dislike having to have any Roxio product choking up my computer
with unwanted items especially as InCD now writes to write once CD's

If you're running Windows, your computer is already "choked up", LOL!
Wait until you see Vista with all it's bloat, background processes, and
idiotic "security" model.

--
Gerry_uk
Old September 20th 06, 06:18 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr
Pokus Hokus

Hi Gerry

Just to clarify my message:

The only date changed when copying a file to InCD is the modified date
however the file has not been modified so this is a definite error and is
found on version 7.2.7.0 and version 7.5.1.1

Re stand alone install of InCD:

No, this is not possible you have to use the setup program and even if you
selectively install InCD by itself you end up with 236MB on your hard drive.

The latest version of InCD 5.5.0.5 is different to that used in earlier
versions of Nero in that it is now possible to use 'write once' CD & DVD and
that is why I was going to use it.

PH

Hi,

Old September 21st 06, 08:54 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr
Gerry_uk

Hi Pokus Hokus,

The only date changed when copying a file to InCD is the modified date
however the file has not been modified so this is a definite error and is
found on version 7.2.7.0 and version 7.5.1.1

Yes, I understood this part, I was just adding to it

Re stand alone install of InCD:

No, this is not possible you have to use the setup program and even if you
selectively install InCD by itself you end up with 236MB on your hard drive.

Gross! What are they playing at? The old InCD is tiny and installs in
under a minute stand-alone and works perfectly!

The latest version of InCD 5.5.0.5 is different to that used in earlier
versions of Nero in that it is now possible to use 'write once' CD & DVD and
that is why I was going to use it.

OK, but I don't see the point in using InCD with this type of media? The
whole point of InCD is that it's drive letter packet writing for RW media.

--
Gerry_uk
Old September 22nd 06, 04:54 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr
Noik

On Thu, 21 Sep 2006 20:54:40 +0100, Gerry_uk
wrote:

The latest version of InCD 5.5.0.5 is different to that used in earlier
versions of Nero in that it is now possible to use 'write once' CD & DVD and
that is why I was going to use it.

OK, but I don't see the point in using InCD with this type of media? The
whole point of InCD is that it's drive letter packet writing for RW media.

There's no point to drive letter access with CDR media to the same
degree that there's no point to drive letter access with CDRW media.