do CD/DVD scratch removers work?

Old May 11th 07, 02:53 AM posted to aus.dvd,uk.media.dvd,alt.comp.periphs.cdr
[email protected]

Default do CD/DVD scratch removers work?

I saw this thing for cleaning scratches from CD/DVD .
It has 3 pads pressed against the disc, which you turn by
a crank handle.
Now because I saw it on one of those 4 AM home shopping
infomercials, I thought it must be a dodgy piece of crap.
I haven't seen them for sale at the purveyors of premium
high-fidelity audio equipment.
Therefore I ask the universe: does this scratch remover
actually work?

Old May 11th 07, 01:01 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr
davy

I use metal polish... Silvo or Brasso liquid, you can use Duraglit or
Silverglit wadding but the finish is'nt as good. The imformation on the
disc is etched on the top side of the CD under the CD label, the label
acting as a reflector.

The secret is to polish in a circular motion over the entire disc with
plentyy of elbow grease, works on plastic screens as well. I've got bad
scratches out of customers CD's.

Might as well veer off topic a little....
For glass screens use Chemico... it's a grinding paste used on car
pistons, start with the course end finishing with the fine end of the
tub, again the secret is to do the entire area as evenly as possible....
you can get deep screatches out if you are prepared to rub and rub.
*NOTE* Chemico will damage plastic surfaces..! The only thing to watch
is you don't want to end up with a concave looking mirror a bit like a
telescope lens.

I have heard of folks using super glue and stuff specially design for
the purpose to fill the cracks to make them opague - something I've
never tried and doubt works.

davy

Old May 11th 07, 02:13 PM posted to aus.dvd,uk.media.dvd,alt.comp.periphs.cdr
Allen

wrote:
I saw this thing for cleaning scratches from CD/DVD .
It has 3 pads pressed against the disc, which you turn by
a crank handle.
Now because I saw it on one of those 4 AM home shopping
infomercials, I thought it must be a dodgy piece of crap.
I haven't seen them for sale at the purveyors of premium
high-fidelity audio equipment.
Therefore I ask the universe: does this scratch remover
actually work?

I use a kit from Allsop called "CD-R Scratch Repair"; I bought my second
one at BigLots for $4.99. It is hand-powered, consisting of a 0.5 ounce
bottle of a white viscous liquid, the bottom half of a jewel case to
hold the CD, and a supply of lint-free cloths. I use it mainly to clean
up discs from the public library, many of which have been terribly abused.

Actually, I've never had a CD that had trouble with scratches on the
"playing" surface. One of the first CDs I owned, back when they really
new, sprang out of my hand when I was extracting it from the case. I
searched high and low for it, but couldn't find it--I finally decided
that it had migrated to another dimension. About two0 months later, it
fell out of a reclining chair, where it had nestled down in the works.
It looked like it had been in a torrid affair with a chainsaw, but I
decided to try to play it before trashing it. Lo and behold! it played
with nary a problem, and still does 20 years or so later. On one
occasion, I was in a Half Price Books store in Seattle where I found an
OP disc that I had been looking for; I looked at it and it was almost in
as bad condition as the one that had a sojourn in the recliner. I showed
it to the cashier, who asked me if I wanted to gamble a dollar on it. (I
was 2000 miles from home and not interested in making a round trip to
return it). I gave him a buck and brought it back to Texas--no problem
with it. I could go on and on, but every story would be the same.

Now, scratches on the label side--that's a different species of animal.
If they are deep enough to penetrate the thin coating on that side of
the disc, there is no hope. If you notice this on a disc but it will
still play, burn a copy ASAP, using something like EAC if necessary.

Allen
Old May 11th 07, 03:40 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr
Nil

On 11 May 2007, davy wrote in
alt.comp.periphs.cdr:

The secret is to polish in a circular motion over the entire disc
with plentyy of elbow grease, works on plastic screens as well.
I've got bad scratches out of customers CD's.

I've been advised specifically to NOT polish in a circular motion
parallel the the edge, but to do it radially from the center to the
edge.
Old May 11th 07, 10:18 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr
Paul Heslop

Nil wrote:

On 11 May 2007, davy wrote in
alt.comp.periphs.cdr:

The secret is to polish in a circular motion over the entire disc
with plentyy of elbow grease, works on plastic screens as well.
I've got bad scratches out of customers CD's.

I've been advised specifically to NOT polish in a circular motion
parallel the the edge, but to do it radially from the center to the
edge.

From what I recall it simply removes the layer of plastic. I think the
cleaning centre outwards is for wiping clean from thumbprints etc.
Could be wrong though, wouldn't be the first time :O)

--
Paul (Please dont take a picture)
Stop and Look
Old May 11th 07, 11:19 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr
Noik

On Fri, 11 May 2007 21:18:23 GMT, Paul Heslop
wrote:

I've been advised specifically to NOT polish in a circular motion
parallel the the edge, but to do it radially from the center to the
edge.

From what I recall it simply removes the layer of plastic. I think the
cleaning centre outwards is for wiping clean from thumbprints etc.
Could be wrong though, wouldn't be the first time :O)

I think the idea there is that a scratch caused by cleaning is less
likely to cause data loss if the scratch is radial rather than along
the groove.

Old May 12th 07, 01:33 AM posted to aus.dvd,uk.media.dvd,alt.comp.periphs.cdr
Franc Zabkar

On Fri, 11 May 2007 08:13:52 -0500, Allen put
finger to keyboard and composed:

Actually, I've never had a CD that had trouble with scratches on the
"playing" surface. One of the first CDs I owned, back when they really
new, sprang out of my hand when I was extracting it from the case. I
searched high and low for it, but couldn't find it--I finally decided
that it had migrated to another dimension. About two0 months later, it
fell out of a reclining chair, where it had nestled down in the works.
It looked like it had been in a torrid affair with a chainsaw, but I
decided to try to play it before trashing it. Lo and behold! it played
with nary a problem, ...

I once used a screwdriver to score an AOL CD along several radii. I
managed to retrieve all the files without a problem.

- Franc Zabkar
Old May 12th 07, 02:41 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr
Paul Heslop

wrote:

I've been advised specifically to NOT polish in a circular motion
parallel the the edge, but to do it radially from the center to the
edge.

From what I recall it simply removes the layer of plastic. I think the
cleaning centre outwards is for wiping clean from thumbprints etc.
Could be wrong though, wouldn't be the first time :O)

I think the idea there is that a scratch caused by cleaning is less
likely to cause data loss if the scratch is radial rather than along
the groove.

Sounds about right