Hp 5550???

Old June 29th 03, 12:03 PM
Simone

Default Hp 5550???

Hi,
I have to change my printer, i'm going to buy a HP5550
is it a good printer?Are there any problems known?
And what about Lexmark Z45?
Thanks!!!

Old June 29th 03, 02:31 PM
Graham

A very good printer with good features.
Got one 6 months ago. No problems.
==========================
.. .

Old June 29th 03, 05:44 PM
Graham

I have just replaced the 3-colour cartridge for the first time after
466 pages of mixed black/color. The black cartridge is low on ink.
I haven't tried refilling.
I haven't used the third type of cartridge (photo #58) yet for best quality
colour.
as the tri-colour gives excellent results on HP Everyday & Premium papers.
"Simone" wrote in message
.. .
and what about cartridge refill and cost?
"Graham" ha scritto nel messaggio
.rogers.com...
A very good printer with good features.
Got one 6 months ago. No problems.
==========================
.. .

Old June 29th 03, 06:03 PM
Larry B

I have had this printer for about 6 months and have been very happy
with it. I previously had the HP 970cxi and though it was build better
than the 5550 (quieter and smoother), the output from the 5550 is
better. I love the duplexer function (which came with the 970 but is
an option on the 5550). After some quick research, the ink/page cost
is in the middle of the pack. I understand that Canon is cheaper in
that regard but Lexmark is more expensive.

I don't like having the Photo cartridge option (as if it cannot do its
best without this third cartridge) but the image quality from the 5550
without it has been great and maybe it is only needed if you do a
quasi-professional level of printing.

I am stuck with HP in that Canon and Epson top-feed their paper and I
need the bottom feed that HP provides. Good thing that I have been
happy with the printer. I am about to embark on my first refill
project but everyone assures me that I should not have any major
issues (other than the learning curve).

Hope that helps. Lar

"Graham" wrote in message
.rogers.com...
I have just replaced the 3-colour cartridge for the first time after
466 pages of mixed black/color. The black cartridge is low on ink.
I haven't tried refilling.
I haven't used the third type of cartridge (photo #58) yet for best

quality
colour.
as the tri-colour gives excellent results on HP Everyday & Premium

papers.
"Simone" wrote in message
.. .
and what about cartridge refill and cost?
"Graham" ha scritto nel messaggio
.rogers.com...
A very good printer with good features.
Got one 6 months ago. No problems.
==========================
.. .

Old June 30th 03, 03:49 AM
Todd A. Phipps

I have a 5550. It's a nice machine, replacing a 932c (which now lives with
my soon-to-be sister-in-law). You can change out the black 56 cart for the
58 photo cart which pairs with the 57 tri-color cart for 6-color photo
printing (PhotoREt IV). With just the 56 black and 57 color carts it prints
in older PhotoREt III mode, which is visibly inferior to the new 6-color
printing...especially in skin tones. It's amazing.

I just leave the 56 and 57 in, and change to the 58 when I want to print a
photo. The 56 black cart gives excellent results on both multi-purpose and
premium inkjet papers, rendering razor-sharp text.

I would definitely pick the 5550 over the Lex Z45...it's a noticeably
flimsier machine than the HP, it feels like a toy. The HP's a lot more
robust (though the new HP's aren't the indestructable tanks the earlier ones
were).

HTH

TP

Todd A. Phipps, Liz, and the WI Pitcrew