G400 and mobo compatibility

Old January 7th 04, 04:46 PM
Franco

Default G400 and mobo compatibility

I am upgrading my mobo to an Intel D865PERL and want to keep my G400
for the time bieng since I'm on a tight budget and because this is my
wor PC and mostly do 2D work.

From what I read on one the Matrox Tech Forums, the card "should" work
as long as it supports 4X transfers, which you can tell from your card
part number. I checked and mine does support 4X.

Question is, has anyone had first hand knowledge of this card/mobo
combination? I'd like to be a little more sure than just a "should
work" before I go ahead.

Thnks in advance
Old January 8th 04, 10:56 PM
Cliff

I'm using an ASUS P4P800 (which uses the same i865PE chipset as the
D865PERL) with my G400Max - no problem. Understand your concern though - I
held off too until I confirmed someone else was ran the same combination.

"Franco" wrote in message
om...
I am upgrading my mobo to an Intel D865PERL and want to keep my G400
for the time bieng since I'm on a tight budget and because this is my
wor PC and mostly do 2D work.

From what I read on one the Matrox Tech Forums, the card "should" work

Old January 9th 04, 03:43 PM
Franco

Thanks for your message Cliff. I am familiar with the ASUS board since
I considered it an option too. From what I have read, they are more
"tweakable" than Intel ones, and can be driven to higher performance
at the cost of certain stability. Intel's are somewhat more
conservative in their settings but more stable and thats just right
for me. I'll go ahead with the upgrade then

"Cliff" wrote in message . au...
I'm using an ASUS P4P800 (which uses the same i865PE chipset as the
D865PERL) with my G400Max - no problem. Understand your concern though - I
held off too until I confirmed someone else was ran the same combination.

"Franco" wrote in message
om...
I am upgrading my mobo to an Intel D865PERL and want to keep my G400
for the time bieng since I'm on a tight budget and because this is my
wor PC and mostly do 2D work.

From what I read on one the Matrox Tech Forums, the card "should" work

Old January 10th 04, 11:51 AM
Cliff

Hi Franco,

Glad to be of help. Please don't write off the ASUS boards if stability is
a concern. My P4P800 Deluxe has been running flawless for 8 months now.
I'm not one for overclocking at the risk of stability, but I'm happily
running my P2.4C at 3.0Ghz (PC3200 RAM at 5:4) - hasn't missed a beat. I
use it solidly from 8am to 11pm every day.

I read up a lot on this board before getting it. Most of the issues people
have seem to be pushing it to the max - both CPU and RAM.

Personally, I don't see myself replacing this board for a long, long time -
immensely happy with it!

Cheers, Cliff

"Franco" wrote in message
om...
Thanks for your message Cliff. I am familiar with the ASUS board since
I considered it an option too. From what I have read, they are more
"tweakable" than Intel ones, and can be driven to higher performance
at the cost of certain stability. Intel's are somewhat more
conservative in their settings but more stable and thats just right
for me. I'll go ahead with the upgrade then

"Cliff" wrote in message

. au...
I'm using an ASUS P4P800 (which uses the same i865PE chipset as the
D865PERL) with my G400Max - no problem. Understand your concern

though - I
held off too until I confirmed someone else was ran the same

combination.

"Franco" wrote in message
om...
I am upgrading my mobo to an Intel D865PERL and want to keep my G400
for the time bieng since I'm on a tight budget and because this is my
wor PC and mostly do 2D work.

From what I read on one the Matrox Tech Forums, the card "should" work