Deskpro upgrade options

Old August 10th 04, 07:23 PM
John Orrett

Default Deskpro upgrade options

Hi all; a friend of mine has an ex works Deskpro EP desktop model, with a
500 MHz Pentium III processor and Intel 810e chipset.
Can anyone advise if I can fit a faster processor and tell me what the max
memory is. I have had a good look at the HP site and downloaded some of the
manuals, but can't decide whether the right answer is 256 or 512MB memory.
He has fitted a 64 MB PCI graphics card to replace the onboard graphics on
the system. It's running Win XP professional. His main intention is to run
games on it, but I'm wondering about the limitations.
Any help gratefully received.
Regards
John

Old August 10th 04, 10:31 PM
Ben Myers

The Intel 810e chipset is limited to 512MB max of memory. The system can handle
a pair of 256MB LOW DENSITY PC100 or PC133 non-parity SDRAM DIMMs.

Is this a system with a Slot 1 processor or a Socket 370 processor? DeskPro EP
systems were made with both. If the former, the fastest CPU is a 600MHz Pentium
III operating at 2.0v and 100MHz front-side bus. Careful here, because Intel
made quite a few different 600MHz Slot 1 Pentium IIIs. Frankly, 500MHz to
600MHz is hardly worth the effort and cost.

If the processor is a Socket 370, I think that the fastest supported CPU would
be 850MHz, which will provide a respectable bump in performance... Ben Myers

Old August 13th 04, 03:55 PM
JP Loken

wrote:

Hi all; a friend of mine has an ex works Deskpro EP desktop model, with a
500 MHz Pentium III processor and Intel 810e chipset.
Can anyone advise if I can fit a faster processor and tell me what the
max
memory is. I have had a good look at the HP site and downloaded some of
the
manuals, but can't decide whether the right answer is 256 or 512MB
memory.
He has fitted a 64 MB PCI graphics card to replace the onboard graphics
on
the system. It's running Win XP professional. His main intention is to
run
games on it, but I'm wondering about the limitations.
Any help gratefully received.
Regards
John

If you install a Powerleap CPU, you can get 1,4GHz.

--
JP Loken
Using Opera
Old August 13th 04, 07:04 PM
HH

Game play will be really slowed by the PCI graphics, especially games like
Half-Life, Unreal Tournament and Doom III. If games like that are the ones
he wants to run, that PC isn't the one to do it, regardless of how fast a
processor or how much RAM.
HH

newspscoed9fhuii9sp@jpl...

Old August 14th 04, 07:42 PM
JP Loken

I agree.
I am playing now and then on my own, pretty similar PC(Presario 5686) that
I've upgraded in much the same way(1GHz CPU and 64MB 2xAGP). But I don't
buy the hottest games anymore.

--
JP Loken
Using Opera

newspscoed9fhuii9sp@jpl...

Old August 14th 04, 11:03 PM
HH

Big difference between a 2X AGP video card and a PCI video card.
HH

newspscqjk4mbuii9sp@jpl...

newspscoed9fhuii9sp@jpl...

Old August 27th 04, 11:33 PM
John Orrett

Thanks for the feedback guys - time for him to buy a new PC for his games
:-)
Cheers
John

newspscoed9fhuii9sp@jpl...

upgrade Hard Bastard Nvidia Videocards 3 June 10th 04 05:14 AM
Upgrade questions with an Athlon 2400 and the X800 bladeofroses Ati Videocards 6 May 18th 04 12:10 AM
Upgrade Report [Hardware Tips: Get the Right Hard Drive - 05/11/2004] Ablang General 0 May 16th 04 03:17 AM
Upgrade questions with an Athlon 2400 and the X800 bladeofroses Ati Videocards 3 May 13th 04 11:25 PM
Need to be sure on 9800 Pro + CPU upgrade broncosfan Ati Videocards 5 April 11th 04 01:40 PM