DOS Soundcard Drivers for Presario 5360?

Old July 29th 04, 03:09 AM
Tim

Default DOS Soundcard Drivers for Presario 5360?

Hello,

If anyone can point me towards a way to run some kind of DOS drivers
for my soundcard (I have just the on-board card which came with the
Presario 5360).

I have tried using generic Soundblaster drivers, but it says it cannot
find the soundcard.

I assume it is an ESS Solo 1938 like the website talks about. Is there
a way to use the Windows 98 drivers directly in DOS?

I have set up a DOS 6.22 drive and boot directly to it using System
Commander. Everything works fine, but I cannot get the sound going.

Any help would be appreciated...

Tim
Old July 29th 04, 05:17 AM
terry_b17

Tim ,
go to http://www.esstech.com/techsupp/drivers.shtm#pci
under the heading audio isa audiodrive there is a dos installer for
the audiodrive and the 1938 chipset .
hope this helps ,
terry

==============
Old July 29th 04, 11:53 AM
HH

Normally, the DOS game or app must supply the drivers. Do you have a SET
BLASTER line in your autoexec.bat file? You need one to tell the game/app
the address and interrupt of the sound hardware for Soundblaster emulation
in a pure DOS setting. If the line is not there, right-click on the
autoexec.bat file in the C:\ directory and select EDIT from the menu. Add
the following line anywhe
SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1
Then save the file, reboot and see if the sound hardware works in DOS.
HH

om...

Old July 31st 04, 03:49 AM
Tim

lid (terry_b17) wrote in message ...
Tim ,
go to
http://www.esstech.com/techsupp/drivers.shtm#pci
under the heading audio isa audiodrive there is a dos installer for
the audiodrive and the 1938 chipset .
hope this helps ,
terry

==============

Hello,

I downloaded the file: ESS_DOS_config.zip and I ran the program
ESSCFG, but it says that it did not detect a soundcard, so it did not
go any further...
Remember, I do have an on-board (on the motherboard) soundcard. Is
this the right file I should have been shooting for?

Tim
Old July 31st 04, 11:58 AM
HH

Did you add the SET BLASTER line to your autoexec.bat file???
HH

"Tim" wrote in message
om...
lid (terry_b17) wrote in message

Tim ,
go to
http://www.esstech.com/techsupp/drivers.shtm#pci
under the heading audio isa audiodrive there is a dos installer for
the audiodrive and the 1938 chipset .
hope this helps ,
terry

==============
Posted through www.HowToFixComputers.com/bb - free access to hardware

troubleshooting newsgroups.

Old August 2nd 04, 03:01 AM
Tim

Yes I did in previous trials of everything that I did. For example:

AUTOEXEC.BAT

SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 H5 P330
SET CTSYN=C:\DOSDRV
C:\DOSDRV\SBEINIT.COM
rem C:\WINDOWS\SMARTDRV.EXE

CONFIG.SYS

DEVICE=C:\DOS\HIMEM.SYS
DEVICE=C:\DOS\EMM386.EXE NOEMS NOVCPI
DOS=HIGH,UMB

And it says that it cannot find the PCI card. I don't actually have a
PCI card, of course, though...

However, when I ran the ESSCFG program below, it wouldn't even set up
my autoexec or anything because it said it could not find the
soundcard.

Have you ever gotten this kind of thing to work?

"HH" wrote in message ...
Did you add the SET BLASTER line to your autoexec.bat file???
HH

om...

Old August 2nd 04, 11:31 AM
HH

Granted, but the onboard ESS audio is accessed via the PCI bus/controller.
You might be better off buying a $10 PCI sound card that comes with DOS
drivers. C-Media has several 8738 chip cards for around that price. Try
he

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...roperty&DEPA=1

HH

om...

"HH" wrote in message

Did you add the SET BLASTER line to your autoexec.bat file???
HH

om...