USB input computer turn-on still not working

Old April 30th 04, 05:17 PM
MZ

Default USB input computer turn-on still not working

I posted a few days ago about my USB touchscreen, which once turned the
computer on when I'd turn the touchscreen on, but once I reformatted and
played with the BIOS settings some, it stopped doing it.

Anyway, I've done some things that were suggested and it still isn't
working.

I've been trying both a USB mouse and the touchscreen.

I messed with power management in the BIOS a little. There are no options
about USB mice or keyboards (just PS2). But there is an option about USB
devices, which I enabled. I also tried enabling the specific IRQs
associated with the USB, but no luck there either.

I've assumed thus far that I want ACPI enabled and PM control from BIOS.

Anyway, I'm really stuck and there doesn't appear to be a solution. It's to
the point where I may have to buy another computer! If anyone has any other
suggestions, I'd appreciate it.

Also, if anyone could provide any insights about how a USB mouse can turn on
a computer that's powered off, that would be helpful also. (how can a mouse
that's not powered provide a signal to the data pins??)

--
Mark
remove "remove" and "spam" to reply

Old May 7th 04, 06:09 AM
Charles

Find the manufacturer of the device and go online and see if they have
a web page and see if they have some sort of driver to download for
that device.

Old May 7th 04, 06:32 AM
kony

On Fri, 30 Apr 2004 12:17:03 -0400, "MZ"
wrote:

I posted a few days ago about my USB touchscreen, which once turned the
computer on when I'd turn the touchscreen on, but once I reformatted and
played with the BIOS settings some, it stopped doing it.

If it worked previously with default bios settings it would seem simple
enough to clear CMOS return bios to default values.

Anyway, I've done some things that were suggested and it still isn't
working.

I've been trying both a USB mouse and the touchscreen.

I messed with power management in the BIOS a little. There are no options
about USB mice or keyboards (just PS2). But there is an option about USB
devices, which I enabled. I also tried enabling the specific IRQs
associated with the USB, but no luck there either.

"an option"? Not to be picky or anything, but the specifics kinda matter.
Rather, the specifics are ALL that matters... nothing is useful except
specifics, otherwise all you're doing is describing (any/every) PC.

I've assumed thus far that I want ACPI enabled and PM control from BIOS.

Doesn't matter

Anyway, I'm really stuck and there doesn't appear to be a solution. It's to
the point where I may have to buy another computer! If anyone has any other
suggestions, I'd appreciate it.

Also, if anyone could provide any insights about how a USB mouse can turn on
a computer that's powered off, that would be helpful also. (how can a mouse
that's not powered provide a signal to the data pins??)

1) USB ports must be powered. That is either hardwired on the
motherboard or accomplished via jumper on the board, might be called
something like "USB 5V/5VSB", though the name could vary. If the USB
ports aren't getting power there is no use doing ANYTHING else until
they're receiving power. If you have a mouse or other device for feedback
so you can see if power is getting to the ports, use that for
confirmation. Otherwise you need a multimeter to measure voltage of USB
pins, after consulting a USB port pinout (found with Google search or
similar). Also it's possible your USB ports are fused and the fuse has
blown, but if that were the case the USB devices would never work, in the
operating system also.

2) Setting in bios is named similar to "power on USB", but manufacturer
could name it anything they like. This feature can require a power supply
capable of 1A of 5VSB power, but it can and does vary based on the
system and number of USB devices attached. If you have more than one USB
device attached, temporarily disconnect all but the one being tried to
power-on the system. If all else fails then toggle the keyboard and mouse
setting in the bios. Changing IRQ settings should not be needed, restore
then to default or "auto" values. Also try toggling off/on the PS2
power on settings.

Old May 7th 04, 02:47 PM
MZ

snip
If you have more than one USB
device attached, temporarily disconnect all but the one being tried to
power-on the system.

That was the problem. The device is self-powered and the others weren't.
Unplugging the others returned the function. So I'm thinking now of using a
USB card for the other devices and the on-board USB ports for the power-up
device. How can I do this without conflicts?

Old May 7th 04, 05:59 PM
kony

On Fri, 7 May 2004 09:47:59 -0400, "MZ"
wrote:

snip
If you have more than one USB
device attached, temporarily disconnect all but the one being tried to
power-on the system.

That was the problem. The device is self-powered and the others weren't.
Unplugging the others returned the function. So I'm thinking now of using a
USB card for the other devices and the on-board USB ports for the power-up
device. How can I do this without conflicts?

I'm not so sure it's significant that the one device is self-powered, but
regardless, if you need to attach other USB devices to a USB card that's
certainly an option. I'm not sure what you mean about "without
conflicts". Each USB hub is it's own device, it is essentially
coincidental that (both an add-on card and the motherboard feature) both
are USB ports... just plug in the card and you're done, though older OS
like Win98 would need a driver for a USB2 card, might as well get a USB2
card since the cost difference is slight if anything these days.
Old May 7th 04, 06:21 PM
MZ

That was the problem. The device is self-powered and the others weren't.
Unplugging the others returned the function. So I'm thinking now of

using a
USB card for the other devices and the on-board USB ports for the

power-up
device. How can I do this without conflicts?

I'm not so sure it's significant that the one device is self-powered,

I brought it up just to make sure this piece of information was mentioned.
"This leads me to ask an addition question: how is this device powering up
the computer? Is it providing a signal to the data pins or the power pins?
I assume it's the data pins.

but
regardless, if you need to attach other USB devices to a USB card that's
certainly an option. I'm not sure what you mean about "without
conflicts".

I gathered that IRQ conflicts could arise. The on-board USB uses IRQ 10 and
11. Two additional IRQs could be hard to come by. On the other hand, the
only peripherals I'm using are sound and video. On-board LAN is disabled
and there are no other cards in the system.

Each USB hub is it's own device, it is essentially
coincidental that (both an add-on card and the motherboard feature) both
are USB ports... just plug in the card and you're done, though older OS
like Win98 would need a driver for a USB2 card, might as well get a USB2
card since the cost difference is slight if anything these days.

I had a USB card kicking around that I got to work with the driver (using
98se by the way). I disabled on-board USB just to make sure the USB card
was working. Tonight I will try enabling it to see if I can get both USB
sources working simultaneously, and to make certain that this turn-on
feature was still working too. Thanks for all your help.

Old May 7th 04, 07:41 PM
kony

On Fri, 7 May 2004 13:21:38 -0400, "MZ"
wrote:

That was the problem. The device is self-powered and the others weren't.
Unplugging the others returned the function. So I'm thinking now of

using a
USB card for the other devices and the on-board USB ports for the

power-up
device. How can I do this without conflicts?

I'm not so sure it's significant that the one device is self-powered,

I brought it up just to make sure this piece of information was mentioned.
"This leads me to ask an addition question: how is this device powering up
the computer? Is it providing a signal to the data pins or the power pins?
I assume it's the data pins.

Definitely the data pins. The board has ability to monitor USB, such that
activity on USB triggers power-on... the USB ports are active when power
is "off" due to ATX never really being off, just in 5VSB minimal power
mode.

but
regardless, if you need to attach other USB devices to a USB card that's
certainly an option. I'm not sure what you mean about "without
conflicts".

I gathered that IRQ conflicts could arise. The on-board USB uses IRQ 10 and
11. Two additional IRQs could be hard to come by. On the other hand, the
only peripherals I'm using are sound and video. On-board LAN is disabled
and there are no other cards in the system.

In a full-featured modern system it's quite common to have IRQs shared...
try it and if it's a problem then try another PCI slot and/or disable
unneeded devices, including one of the USb controllers, only leaving those
with USB devices attached, enabled.

Each USB hub is it's own device, it is essentially
coincidental that (both an add-on card and the motherboard feature) both
are USB ports... just plug in the card and you're done, though older OS
like Win98 would need a driver for a USB2 card, might as well get a USB2
card since the cost difference is slight if anything these days.

I had a USB card kicking around that I got to work with the driver (using
98se by the way). I disabled on-board USB just to make sure the USB card
was working. Tonight I will try enabling it to see if I can get both USB
sources working simultaneously, and to make certain that this turn-on
feature was still working too. Thanks for all your help.

Is it really worth all the bother though? I mean, most cases have a power
switch.
Old May 7th 04, 07:45 PM
MZ

Is it really worth all the bother though? I mean, most cases have a power
switch.

Actually, it's an essential feature because the computer is mounted in the
trunk of my car and the touchscreen is installed in the dash.