Broken PC repair

Old December 8th 16, 05:28 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
NIl

Default Broken PC repair

I've agreed to try to fix a friend's computer (HP ENVY Phoenix h9-1335
Desktop running Windows 8.1 64-bit) and I find myself confronted with a
bunch of newer technology things I've been avoiding.

- The computer has UEFI. Never had to deal with it before.

- The hard disk is 2 TB, partitioned as GPT. Don't know about GPT.

- I think it has an additional small solid state drive - don't know
what for yet.

- There's no VGA port, so I have to scrounge up an adapter to plug my
spare monitor into its DVI port.

One day he turned it on and and got an error message about "no boot
disk found". I have to buy a new USB keyboard and mouse before I can
really check it out, but with the broken USB keyboard I have, I've
managed to get it to boot to a point where Windows starts to go into a
"Recovery" process, but that seems to bomb out after 5 or 10 minutes.
This happens about 1 out of 5 attempts - the other times I get the
"boot disk" error.

I took the HD out and put it in my USB caddy and connected it to my
Win7-64 laptop. The disk shows up in Disk Manager, but I can't seem to
read the files on the main partition (though I can read the Recovery
partition.)

Some questions before I really get into it, which won't happen until
this weekend...

- Can I boot the computer with an optical disk such as Hiram's and use
its diagnostic utilities that I'm used to using on MBR disks?

- If I can't get the computer to boot, how best to access the files on
the disk to back it up or copy stuff off it?

- Any guesses as to what the real problem is? I'm assuming a failing
disk, failing RAM, or failing power supply.

I'll probably have more questions later.
Old December 8th 16, 09:26 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul[_28_]

Nil wrote:
[...]

You did the right thing.

It sounds like a disk problem, and you know
how reliable rotating hard disks are. Read the SMART with
a utility (HDTune 2.55 will do). SMART doesn't
necessarily work through a USB enclosure, unless
there is a "passthru" scheme. From a protocol
point of view, SMART might not be accessible.
Installing the hard drive to a SATA port on your
desktop, gives the best compatibility.

if the user burned the reinstall media like they
were supposed to, you could install a new hard drive
and restore to factory with the optical disc set. Most
OEM computers prompt within the first day or so,
to burn up to five DVD discs for later. Of course
the PC does not come with a six-pack of compatible
discs to make this possible. The user has to somehow
guess they will need a six-pack when the PC arrives.
One disc burning package is even picky about the
discs, only burning to DVD-R and not DVD+R, or
something silly along those lines. You can't make
this stuff up...

If you need to backup the drive, you can use ddrescue
from Linux. This assumes some sectors are unreadable,
and a regular backup software like Macrium, will
bomb half-way through the backup. While some VSS based
backups claim to be able to deal with read-errors like
ddrescue can, the proof is in the eating. You're more
likely to have the backup bomb, than work.

Modern drives don't seem to die as rapidly as
some of my old 40GB Maxtors here. So maybe you'll
get lucky and save all the data :-)

One of the reasons my answer is worded the way it is,
is to encourage making a backup with all speed. If
you're "repairing a PC for a friend", you can take more
care than the Geek Squad, who will just level and reload
to save time. DDrescue covers cases where some sectors
are unreadable, and you hope to capture as much as possible.
The sdb.log keeps track of any sectors that could not
be read. This takes forever to run, but apparently
has the ability to adjust block size on the fly for
best results. I tested on a 2TB drive and it took
five or six hours, and the drive was a good one.

Linux package name: gddrescue (copy SDB to a file for safety)

ddrescue -b8M /dev/sdb /mount/external/backup/sdb.raw /mount/external/backup/sdb.log

Good luck (you'll need it).

Paul
Old December 9th 16, 02:23 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
B00ze

On 2016-12-08 00:28, Nil wrote:

- The computer has UEFI. Never had to deal with it before.
- The hard disk is 2 TB, partitioned as GPT. Don't know about GPT.

You need UEFI enabled to boot a GPT disk. It needs new Windows loader
stuff, but since you say it half-boots (sometimes) then that stuff is
there, even if it might sometimes be unreadable.

I took the HD out and put it in my USB caddy and connected it to my
Win7-64 laptop. The disk shows up in Disk Manager, but I can't seem to
read the files on the main partition (though I can read the Recovery
partition.)

Perhaps the GPT partition table is screwed-up? you should also see a
small boot partition - so 3 partitions in all. Maybe testDisk can
confirm if the partitions are ok or not?

Some questions before I really get into it, which won't happen until
this weekend...

- Can I boot the computer with an optical disk such as Hiram's and use
its diagnostic utilities that I'm used to using on MBR disks?

I would stay away from Hiram's partitions tools, they are old and will
most likely read the fake MBR on the disk and report erroneous
information (at least last time I looked at Hiram's it was all super old
stuff). NTFS scanning tools should be ok. Active@ has a free boot disk
which is up to date; not sure if it has the tools you need tho.

- If I can't get the computer to boot, how best to access the files on
the disk to back it up or copy stuff off it?

See Paul's reply.

- Any guesses as to what the real problem is? I'm assuming a failing
disk, failing RAM, or failing power supply.

Well failing RAM could've corrupted the disk, but now that the disk is
connected to your laptop and is unreadable, the problem is really about
the disk. NTFS is the same on GPT as it is on MBR, so assuming the
partitions are correctly enumerated on the GPT disk, you should look for
stuff that can fix damaged NTFS partitions. Of course if the disk is
failing, like not spinning-up 4/5 of the time when it powers-up,
following Paul's advice to check SMART and do a backup urgently is
indicated :-)

Sorry, not much help, but I just really just wanted to warn you about
Hiram's - tools that don't know about GPT will be reading GPT's fake MBR
and likely do more harm than good.

Best Regards,

--
! _\|/_ Sylvain /
! (o o) Memberavid-Suzuki-Fdn/EFF/Red+Cross/SPCA/Planetary-Society

Old December 9th 16, 03:18 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

On Thu, 08 Dec 2016 21:23:42 -0500, B00ze wrote:

Sorry, not much help, but I just really just wanted to warn you about
Hiram's - tools that don't know about GPT will be reading GPT's fake MBR
and likely do more harm than good.

Best Regards,

Even in a multiple boot situation suited Hirams, not knowing or false
assumptions for using some of those utilities can be a time bomb.
Work's work, with little else at times to show but bloody nails when
scratching for a hold and researching solid procedures for
technological repairs.
Old December 10th 16, 01:24 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
NIl

On 08 Dec 2016, B00ze wrote in
alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt:

Sorry, not much help, but I just really just wanted to warn you
about Hiram's - tools that don't know about GPT will be reading
GPT's fake MBR and likely do more harm than good.

You've been very helpful. Point taken about the Hiram's utilities. I
have more information to report... stay tuned...
Old December 10th 16, 09:07 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
NIl

On 08 Dec 2016, Paul wrote in
alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt:

It sounds like a disk problem, and you know
how reliable rotating hard disks are. Read the SMART with
a utility (HDTune 2.55 will do).

I'm now certain that it's the disk.

Now that I have a working USB keyboard, I was able to boot up to the
UEFI screen, which had entries to some HP built-in diagnostics. All
the disk scanners bombed out after about 10%. They reference an HP
Failure ID of GG9JKD-0008AQ-WPTX0K-60QG03. I can find no reference
to this code anywhere on the 'net. Surprisingly, though, the diags
claimed that the disk passed the SMART test, though there was no way
to see the actual SMART data until...

I booted up with a Linux (Mint 10) thumb drive and used some Linux
utilities to read the SMART info, which I'll copy to the bottom of
this post. I hope someone who understands it better can comment on
its findings.

In Linux I can see all 6 partitions, but I can't access the data in
the main ~1.8 TB partition. Mint's file manager gives me this error
message:

===

Error mounting /dev/sdf4 at /media/mint/OS: Command-line `mount -t
"ntfs" -o "uhelper=udisks2,nodev,nosuid,uid=999,gid=999" "/dev/sdf4"
"/media/mint/OS"' exited with non-zero exit status 13:
ntfs_attr_pread_i: ntfs_pread failed: Input/output error

Failed to read NTFS $Bitmap: Input/output error

NTFS is either inconsistent, or there is a hardware fault, or it's a
SoftRAID/FakeRAID hardware. In the first case run chkdsk /f on
Windows then reboot into Windows twice. The usage of the /f
parameter is very important! If the device is a SoftRAID/FakeRAID
then first activate it and mount a different device under the
/dev/mapper/ directory, (e.g. /dev/mapper/nvidia_eahaabcc1). Please
see the 'dmraid' documentation for more details.

===

So, what do you make of the SMART report? Is the disk physically
failing, or is the file system on that one partition messed up, and
if so can it be repaired? Can the data be saved? Can the partition
be accessed? Can the disc be cloned, even in its damaged state (so I
have a safety backup)?

if the user burned the reinstall media like they
were supposed to, you could install a new hard drive
and restore to factory with the optical disc set.

He did not do that. The reinstall media creation files are still
there in a separate partition and seem intact, but I can't run the
creation routine until I get Windows going.

If you need to backup the drive, you can use ddrescue
from Linux.

I'll look at that. But I assume I have to access the partion first,
and I haven't been able to do that yet.

The complete SMART report follows
(also at http://rednoise.x10host.com/temp/SMART.html in case word
wrap mess this post up)

================

smartctl 6.5 2016-01-24 r4214 [x86_64-linux-4.4.0-21-generic] (local build)
Copyright (C) 2002-16, Bruce Allen, Christian Franke, www.smartmontools.org

=== START OF INFORMATION SECTION ===
Model Family: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 (AF)
Device Model: ST2000DM001-9YN164
LU WWN Device Id: 5 000c50 04f099cb8
Firmware Version: HP16
User Capacity: 2,000,398,934,016 bytes [2.00 TB]
Sector Sizes: 512 bytes logical, 4096 bytes physical
Rotation Rate: 7200 rpm
Device is: In smartctl database [for details use: -P show]
ATA Version is: ATA8-ACS T13/1699-D revision 4
SATA Version is: SATA 3.0, 6.0 Gb/s (current: 6.0 Gb/s)
Local Time is: Fri Dec 9 22:52:35 2016 UTC
SMART support is: Available - device has SMART capability.
SMART support is: Enabled

=== START OF READ SMART DATA SECTION ===
SMART overall-health self-assessment test result: PASSED

General SMART Values:
Offline data collection status: (0x82) Offline data collection activity
was completed without error.
Auto Offline Data Collection: Enabled.
Self-test execution status: ( 121) The previous self-test completed having
the read element of the test failed.
Total time to complete Offline
data collection: ( 584) seconds.
Offline data collection
capabilities: (0x5b) SMART execute Offline immediate.
Auto Offline data collection on/off support.
Suspend Offline collection upon new
command.
Offline surface scan supported.
Self-test supported.
No Conveyance Self-test supported.
Selective Self-test supported.
SMART capabilities: (0x0003) Saves SMART data before entering
power-saving mode.
Supports SMART auto save timer.
Error logging capability: (0x01) Error logging supported.
General Purpose Logging supported.
Short self-test routine
recommended polling time: ( 2) minutes.
Extended self-test routine
recommended polling time: ( 228) minutes.
SCT capabilities: (0x303b) SCT Status supported.
SCT Error Recovery Control supported.
SCT Feature Control supported.
SCT Data Table supported.

SMART Attributes Data Structure revision number: 10
Vendor Specific SMART Attributes with Thresholds:
ID# ATTRIBUTE_NAME FLAG VALUE WORST THRESH TYPE UPDATED WHEN_FAILED RAW_VALUE
1 Raw_Read_Error_Rate 0x002f 076 075 006 Pre-fail Always - 172668040
3 Spin_Up_Time 0x0023 095 095 000 Pre-fail Always - 0
4 Start_Stop_Count 0x0032 100 100 020 Old_age Always - 557
5 Reallocated_Sector_Ct 0x0033 055 055 036 Pre-fail Always - 59136
7 Seek_Error_Rate 0x002f 087 060 030 Pre-fail Always - 505974305
9 Power_On_Hours 0x0032 071 071 000 Old_age Always - 25891
10 Spin_Retry_Count 0x0033 100 100 097 Pre-fail Always - 0
12 Power_Cycle_Count 0x0032 100 100 020 Old_age Always - 547
180 Unknown_HDD_Attribute 0x002b 100 100 000 Pre-fail Always - 430454436
183 Runtime_Bad_Block 0x0032 100 100 000 Old_age Always - 0
184 End-to-End_Error 0x0033 100 100 097 Pre-fail Always - 0
187 Reported_Uncorrect 0x0032 001 001 000 Old_age Always - 13854
188 Command_Timeout 0x0032 100 066 000 Old_age Always - 46 48 61
189 High_Fly_Writes 0x003a 100 100 000 Old_age Always - 0
190 Airflow_Temperature_Cel 0x0022 067 056 045 Old_age Always - 33 (Min/Max 24/33)
191 G-Sense_Error_Rate 0x0032 100 100 000 Old_age Always - 0
192 Power-Off_Retract_Count 0x0032 100 100 000 Old_age Always - 71
193 Load_Cycle_Count 0x0032 065 065 000 Old_age Always - 71806
194 Temperature_Celsius 0x0022 033 044 000 Old_age Always - 33 (0 18 0 0 0)
196 Reallocated_Event_Count 0x0032 055 055 036 Old_age Always - 59136
197 Current_Pending_Sector 0x0032 001 001 000 Old_age Always - 29919
198 Offline_Uncorrectable 0x0030 100 001 000 Old_age Offline - 2112
199 UDMA_CRC_Error_Count 0x0032 200 200 000 Old_age Always - 0

SMART Error Log Version: 1
ATA Error Count: 11663 (device log contains only the most recent five errors)
CR = Command Register [HEX]
FR = Features Register [HEX]
SC = Sector Count Register [HEX]
SN = Sector Number Register [HEX]
CL = Cylinder Low Register [HEX]
CH = Cylinder High Register [HEX]
DH = Device/Head Register [HEX]
DC = Device Command Register [HEX]
ER = Error register [HEX]
ST = Status register [HEX]
Powered_Up_Time is measured from power on, and printed as
DDd+hh:mm:SS.sss where DD=days, hh=hours, mm=minutes,
SS=sec, and sss=millisec. It "wraps" after 49.710 days.

Error 11663 occurred at disk power-on lifetime: 25891 hours (1078 days + 19 hours)
When the command that caused the error occurred, the device was active or idle.

After command completion occurred, registers we
ER ST SC SN CL CH DH
-- -- -- -- -- -- --
40 51 00 e9 2b 8c 05 Error: UNC at LBA = 0x058c2be9 = 93072361

Commands leading to the command that caused the error we
CR FR SC SN CL CH DH DC Powered_Up_Time Command/Feature_Name
-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- ---------------- --------------------
60 00 01 e9 2b 8c 45 00 00:29:43.518 READ FPDMA QUEUED
ef 10 02 00 00 00 a0 00 00:29:43.518 SET FEATURES [Enable SATA feature]
ec 00 00 00 00 00 a0 00 00:29:43.518 IDENTIFY DEVICE
ef 03 45 00 00 00 a0 00 00:29:43.517 SET FEATURES [Set transfer mode]
ef 10 02 00 00 00 a0 00 00:29:43.517 SET FEATURES [Enable SATA feature]

Error 11662 occurred at disk power-on lifetime: 25891 hours (1078 days + 19 hours)
When the command that caused the error occurred, the device was active or idle.

After command completion occurred, registers we
ER ST SC SN CL CH DH
-- -- -- -- -- -- --
40 51 00 ee 2b 8c 05 Error: UNC at LBA = 0x058c2bee = 93072366

Commands leading to the command that caused the error we
CR FR SC SN CL CH DH DC Powered_Up_Time Command/Feature_Name
-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- ---------------- --------------------
60 00 01 e9 2b 8c 45 00 00:29:40.652 READ FPDMA QUEUED
60 00 01 ee 2b 8c 45 00 00:29:40.651 READ FPDMA QUEUED
ef 10 02 00 00 00 a0 00 00:29:40.651 SET FEATURES [Enable SATA feature]
ec 00 00 00 00 00 a0 00 00:29:40.650 IDENTIFY DEVICE
ef 03 45 00 00 00 a0 00 00:29:40.650 SET FEATURES [Set transfer mode]

Error 11661 occurred at disk power-on lifetime: 25891 hours (1078 days + 19 hours)
When the command that caused the error occurred, the device was active or idle.

After command completion occurred, registers we
ER ST SC SN CL CH DH
-- -- -- -- -- -- --
40 51 00 ea 2b 8c 05 Error: UNC at LBA = 0x058c2bea = 93072362

Commands leading to the command that caused the error we
CR FR SC SN CL CH DH DC Powered_Up_Time Command/Feature_Name
-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- ---------------- --------------------
60 00 01 ee 2b 8c 45 00 00:29:37.809 READ FPDMA QUEUED
60 00 01 e9 2b 8c 45 00 00:29:37.809 READ FPDMA QUEUED
60 00 01 ea 2b 8c 45 00 00:29:37.809 READ FPDMA QUEUED
ef 10 02 00 00 00 a0 00 00:29:37.808 SET FEATURES [Enable SATA feature]
ec 00 00 00 00 00 a0 00 00:29:37.808 IDENTIFY DEVICE

Error 11660 occurred at disk power-on lifetime: 25891 hours (1078 days + 19 hours)
When the command that caused the error occurred, the device was active or idle.

After command completion occurred, registers we
ER ST SC SN CL CH DH
-- -- -- -- -- -- --
40 51 00 ed 2b 8c 05 Error: UNC at LBA = 0x058c2bed = 93072365

Commands leading to the command that caused the error we
CR FR SC SN CL CH DH DC Powered_Up_Time Command/Feature_Name
-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- ---------------- --------------------
60 00 01 ea 2b 8c 45 00 00:29:34.942 READ FPDMA QUEUED
60 00 01 e9 2b 8c 45 00 00:29:34.942 READ FPDMA QUEUED
60 00 01 ee 2b 8c 45 00 00:29:34.942 READ FPDMA QUEUED
60 00 01 ed 2b 8c 45 00 00:29:34.941 READ FPDMA QUEUED
ef 10 02 00 00 00 a0 00 00:29:34.941 SET FEATURES [Enable SATA feature]

Error 11659 occurred at disk power-on lifetime: 25891 hours (1078 days + 19 hours)
When the command that caused the error occurred, the device was active or idle.

After command completion occurred, registers we
ER ST SC SN CL CH DH
-- -- -- -- -- -- --
40 51 00 eb 2b 8c 05 Error: UNC at LBA = 0x058c2beb = 93072363

Commands leading to the command that caused the error we
CR FR SC SN CL CH DH DC Powered_Up_Time Command/Feature_Name
-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- ---------------- --------------------
60 00 01 ed 2b 8c 45 00 00:29:32.084 READ FPDMA QUEUED
60 00 01 ee 2b 8c 45 00 00:29:32.084 READ FPDMA QUEUED
60 00 01 e9 2b 8c 45 00 00:29:32.084 READ FPDMA QUEUED
60 00 01 ea 2b 8c 45 00 00:29:32.083 READ FPDMA QUEUED
60 00 01 eb 2b 8c 45 00 00:29:32.083 READ FPDMA QUEUED

SMART Self-test log structure revision number 1
Num Test_Description Status Remaining LifeTime(hours) LBA_of_first_error
# 1 Short offline Completed: read failure 90% 25891 93072360
# 2 Short offline Completed: read failure 90% 25888 93072072
# 3 Short offline Completed: read failure 90% 25888 93072072
# 4 Short offline Completed: read failure 90% 25888 93072072
# 5 Extended offline Interrupted (host reset) 90% 1 -

SMART Selective self-test log data structure revision number 1
SPAN MIN_LBA MAX_LBA CURRENT_TEST_STATUS
1 0 0 Not_testing
2 0 0 Not_testing
3 0 0 Not_testing
4 0 0 Not_testing
5 0 0 Not_testing
Selective self-test flags (0x0):
After scanning selected spans, do NOT read-scan remainder of disk.
If Selective self-test is pending on power-up, resume after 0 minute delay.
Old December 10th 16, 09:33 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul[_28_]

Nil wrote:
On 08 Dec 2016, Paul wrote in
[...]

5 Reallocated_Sector_Count 0x0033 055 055 036 Pre-fail Always - 59136
197 Current_Pending_Sector 0x0032 001 001 000 Old_age Always - 29919

Those raw values are 300x larger than any drive
I've ever had here. For example, I was starting to panic
when my Reallocated hit around 200, whereas this example
is 59,136.

The SMART readout routine could be reading too many bytes.
But the evidence of trouble on the disk elsewhere
indicates this is not imaginary, whatever the problem.

It's possible that's the drive that does 400 head-parks a day,
and has (perhaps) an expected life of 300,000 head-parks. After
a couple of years, that's a lot of wear on the ramp. It was one
of the DMxxx models, where the 1TB and 2TB drives had excessive
landing activity (sleep if inactive), while the 500GB drive was
OK (different firmware). I researched this at the time... before
buying a 500GB drive locally. Based on the reviews I was seeing,
I took a pass on the larger drives at the time.

*******

Since you know your way around Linux, you could use ddrescue.
It is package "gddrescue". Using package manager, you can
install that. You may need a later Linux distro, in case
the distro server for yout version is now offline.

The program produces two output files. In this example, the
maximum block size is limited to 8MB. The command will switch
to smaller block sizes when working on "bad" disk areas. It
opens the throttle on the good parts, reading at full disk
speed. sdb.raw would be a 2TB file if scavenged from a 2TB disk.
The sdb.log contains a record of the sectors that could not be
read. The command is not supposed to spend too much time
on bad sectors, so the first pass should complete in
finite time. Maybe not five hours, but close to it.
(This assumes source and dest are SATA hookups.)

ddrescue -b8M /dev/sdb /mount/external/backup/sdb.raw /mount/external/backup/sdb.log

The command can be run more than once. On subsequent runs, it
works on the missing sectors.

You could also clone to another disk of equal or greater size.
Instead of storing the results in a bitmap file of immense size,
you can just clone another disk.

ddrescue -b8M /dev/sdb /dev/sdc /mount/external/backup/sdb.log

Now, if it was me, I would zero /dev/sdc before my run.

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdc bs=8192

That will take five hours. That ensures any sectors not written
during the ddrescue run, are exactly equal to zero (i.e. known
quantities).

Then run the ddrescue, and while it's running (for 5 hours plus),
you can read up on the options for running the command more
than once, to fill in gaps.

Once you have the data on a "reliable" disk, you can come up
with a plan... You don't run CHKDSK on your only copy. You
may want more than one copy. I keep two spare disks here
(they're my express disks), and if they are needed, whatever
is on them gets erased. No matter how painful that may be.
Anything put on my two express disks, is a candidate for
blind erasure :-) I had to make up a policy like that,
because I never seemed to have any spares.

If repair of the partition is not working, then
scavenging is the final option. Photos, documents, etc.
You will have time for that, once the bitmap is on a
reliable disk.

Paul
Old December 11th 16, 09:50 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
B00ze

On 2016-12-10 16:07, Nil wrote:
Error mounting /dev/sdf4 at /media/mint/OS: Command-line `mount -t
"ntfs" -o "uhelper=udisks2,nodev,nosuid,uid=999,gid=999" "/dev/sdf4"
"/media/mint/OS"' exited with non-zero exit status 13:
ntfs_attr_pread_i: ntfs_pread failed: Input/output error

Failed to read NTFS $Bitmap: Input/output error

Apparently $Bitmap is corrupted, or unreadable (i.e. there is a bad
sector on it).
I found this where someone else had a similar problem:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/74105...ntfs-partition

I would try a raw backup of the disk before doing anything else on it
tho. Paul's ddRescue is probably the best option. I personally use
Terabyte's Image For Linux (it has an option for raw read and one to
ignore read errors) but it was never made for rescuing disks like
ddRescue is. Once you have the data onto another disk, try that ntfsfix
tool they talk about on askUbuntu? I don't know much about fixing a
broken NTFS; maybe Paul knows of a couple tools for that once you have
the data somewhere else?

SMART Attributes Data Structure revision number: 10
Vendor Specific SMART Attributes with Thresholds:
ID# ATTRIBUTE_NAME FLAG VALUE WORST THRESH TYPE UPDATED WHEN_FAILED RAW_VALUE
1 Raw_Read_Error_Rate 0x002f 076 075 006 Pre-fail Always - 172668040
5 Reallocated_Sector_Ct 0x0033 055 055 036 Pre-fail Always - 59136
7 Seek_Error_Rate 0x002f 087 060 030 Pre-fail Always - 505974305
196 Reallocated_Event_Count 0x0032 055 055 036 Old_age Always - 59136
197 Current_Pending_Sector 0x0032 001 001 000 Old_age Always - 29919
198 Offline_Uncorrectable 0x0030 100 001 000 Old_age Offline - 2112

These are all bad. The problem with SMART is that it is hard to
figure-out how the firmware translates RAW into the VALUE column, but
all of the above RAW values are ZERO on a brand new disk. Paul's right,
59000 reallocated sectors is a lot. If you feel adventurous, Hard Disk
Sentinel has a scan-mode where it tries to read the value of every
sector then re-writes that to the same sector, forcing a re-mapping to
occur on bad sectors - but the value it gets on a bad block could be
garbage, and it will re-write that garbage (plus you might run out of
sectors to remap to, with so many already).

Regards,

--
! _\|/_ Sylvain /
! (o o) Memberavid-Suzuki-Fdn/EFF/Red+Cross/SPCA/Planetary-Society
oO-( )-Oo "Suck gas, evil-doers!" -Darkwing

Old December 11th 16, 11:11 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul[_28_]

B00ze wrote:

These are all bad. The problem with SMART is that it is hard to
figure-out how the firmware translates RAW into the VALUE column, but
all of the above RAW values are ZERO on a brand new disk. Paul's right,
59000 reallocated sectors is a lot. If you feel adventurous, Hard Disk
Sentinel has a scan-mode where it tries to read the value of every
sector then re-writes that to the same sector, forcing a re-mapping to
occur on bad sectors - but the value it gets on a bad block could be
garbage, and it will re-write that garbage (plus you might run out of
sectors to remap to, with so many already).

Regards,

Yes, if you attempt to "perk up" a drive that is
this bad (by re-writing blocks), the reallocations
caused would be a disaster. The drive could die
(stop responding) before you finish.

That's why I'm encouraging a backup if at all possible.
A gentle sequential read, just in case the drive is
about to croak.

I can't really tell if those SMART values are for
real or not. But they're scary enough.

I wouldn't even want to "rattle the drive"
with a CHKDSK in its current state. Again,
a disaster in the making. You can run CHKDSK
on a healthy drive copy of the data, and see what
happens.

For a job like this, at least two spare drives
are recommended. So you can always have a
"best effort" copy of the data fresh to use
for restoration attempts. No matter what method
you use.

I haven't added any more info for procedures, as I
don't know where Nil is headed with this. Scavenge ?
Or toss ? Or... what ?

Paul
Old December 12th 16, 07:12 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
NIl

On 11 Dec 2016, Paul wrote in
alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt:

For a job like this, at least two spare drives
are recommended. So you can always have a
"best effort" copy of the data fresh to use
for restoration attempts. No matter what method
you use.

I haven't added any more info for procedures, as I
don't know where Nil is headed with this. Scavenge ?
Or toss ? Or... what ?

Where I'm headed for now is this...

I have acquired 1 free 2-TB drive (you have a good point about having
2, and I may get another one - I can always use it for something
later.) I would like to clone the bad disk to the new disk, but skip
the large main damaged Windows partition. Then I'd like to use the
restore partition to re-install Windows 8 fresh. Then I'll make a set
of Windows restore discs. Then I'll address the task of recovering the
damaged partition from the bad disk.

I've looked a bit at ddrescue. It's complicated - I have to read the
documentation closer. Can I use it to clone the bad GPT drive,
recreating the partition scheme exactly?