hot cpu

Old August 7th 03, 12:30 AM
hu man

Default hot cpu

I am having a problem with my computer randomly rebooting. This only started
today and happened a few times. I decided to monitor the CPU temp and it
rose to 116 F while running my AV program, it then rebooted on its own. This
is a homebuilt system (built in 2/03) w/an ASUS P4S533-E and an Intel
Celeron 1.7 (no OC). Fans are running even when temp is that high. I cleaned
the computer about a month ago, so it is fairly clean. I am not getting any
errors. Anyone have any suggestions?

Old August 7th 03, 01:24 AM
kony

On Wed, 6 Aug 2003 19:30:20 -0400, "hu man" hu
wrote:

I am having a problem with my computer randomly rebooting. This only started
today and happened a few times. I decided to monitor the CPU temp and it
rose to 116 F while running my AV program, it then rebooted on its own. This
is a homebuilt system (built in 2/03) w/an ASUS P4S533-E and an Intel
Celeron 1.7 (no OC). Fans are running even when temp is that high. I cleaned
the computer about a month ago, so it is fairly clean. I am not getting any
errors. Anyone have any suggestions?

Usually temperatures are reported in Celsius, as many people are more
familiar with Celsius temps relative to PC operation.

116F is about 47C... that's not hot enough to cause a reboot from CPU
overheating on a processor running anywhere near stock speed, not o'c.
Look elsewhere for the problem.

If you're running WinXP you may be getting bluescreens, which by
default causes the PC to reboot. You can disable this rebooting to
see the bluescreen, which may provide clues. To do that:

Rick-Click My Computer, choose System Properties, Advanced tab,
Startup & Recovery button, then uncheck the "automatically reboot"
option.

Since the problem just started, is there anything new, different about
the PC, Operating System, new applications, or the environment,
ambient temps, etc? If none of the above applies and the system tests
virus-free with recent antivirus definitions, you might try scanning
the system with "Ad-Aware" or "Spybot" to see if it's otherwise fouled
up with 3rd party junk.

Ad-Awa
http://www.lavasoftusa.com/support/download/
Spybot:
http://www.safer-networking.org/inde...&page=download

Dave
Old August 7th 03, 02:06 AM
hu man

Thanks for the response. I am running XP and so far scandisk (chkdisk) ran
three times and problem is still there.
"Girgath" wrote in message
. ca...
I had a simular problem and my scandisk fixed it... it was a problem with

my
hard drive and it was causing my temp to rise, what op system are you
running?

Old August 7th 03, 02:15 AM
hu man

Thanks for the response. I am running XP. I just disabled the reboot like
you suggested. I did install a game a few days ago, the computer was used
alot since and this is the first sign of the problem. I did run Ad-Aware but
I am having a problem finishing a system scan with Norton AV. If I can
finish that (which I will attempt now) without the system crashing, I will
know if it is clean or not. If I get an error message, I will post back.
Thanks again.

Old August 7th 03, 02:44 AM
hu man

As I leaned the side cover against the case, I noticed that a light tap will
reboot the computer. I shut it back down and reseated the video card and
ram. I also checked every connector to make sure they were not loose and
blew out the case. That didn't cure the problem, it will still reboot with a
light tap. Could it be the power supply or maybe the hard drive?
Thanks again

Old August 7th 03, 03:17 AM
~misfit~

"hu man" hu wrote in message
As I leaned the side cover against the case, I noticed that a light tap

will
reboot the computer. I shut it back down and reseated the video card and
ram. I also checked every connector to make sure they were not loose and
blew out the case. That didn't cure the problem, it will still reboot with

light tap. Could it be the power supply or maybe the hard drive?
Thanks again

Anything look like it could be shorting the motherboard?
--
~misfit~

wrote:

[...]

---

Old August 7th 03, 03:33 AM
hu man

I lightly touched the reset switch and it rebooted, I couldn't make it do it
again so I tapped on the front of the case and it rebooted. I guess it is
safe to assume that the reset switch should be replaced, but could that be
the cause of the unprovoked reboots that I was experiencing earlier? TIA