Recommended hard drive temperature

Old April 16th 08, 08:42 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Franc Zabkar

Default Recommended hard drive temperature

I've been reading this document which is an analysis of Google's hard
disc failure rates:

Failure Trends in a Large Disk Drive Population:
http://research.google.com/archive/disk_failures.pdf

It states that "contrary to previously reported results, we found very
little correlation between failure rates and either elevated
temperature or activity levels."

Figure 4 "shows that failures do not increase when the average
temperature increases. In fact, there is a clear trend showing that
lower temperatures are associated with higher failure rates. Only at
very high temperatures is there a slight reversal of this trend."

"Figure 5 looks at the average temperatures for different age groups.
The distributions are in sync with Figure 4 showing a mostly flat
failure rate at mid-range temperatures and a modest increase at the
low end of the temperature distribution. What stands out are the 3 and
4-year old drives, where the trend for higher failures with higher
temperature is much more constant and also more pronounced."

"Overall our experiments can confirm previously reported temperature
effects only for the high end of our temperature range and especially
for older drives. In the lower and middle temperature ranges, higher
temperatures are not associated with higher failure rates."

Figure 5 suggests that Google's optimum temperature for hard drives is
between 35C and 40C.

Elsewhere I found this old IBM article:
http://web.archive.org/web/200005192.../drivetemp.htm

It states that "figure 2 shows the dramatic effect that temperature
has on the overall reliability of a hard disk drive. Derivations [sic]
from a nominal operating temperature (assumed to be maintained over
the life of a drive) can result in a derivation [sic] from the nominal
failure rate. As the temperature exceeds the recommended level, the
failure rate increases two to three percent for every one degree rise
above it. For example, a hard disk drive running for an extended
period of time at five degrees above the recommended temperature can
experience an increase in failure rate of 10 to 15 percent. Likewise,
operating a drive below the recommended temperature can extend drive
life."

This last statement is a bit ambiguous. If a hard drive is more
reliable at a temperature below that which is recommended, then why
not recommend a lower temperature in the first place? Then again,
maybe the author's intended meaning was "recommended maximum
temperature".

- Franc Zabkar
Old April 16th 08, 01:20 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Arno Wagner

Previously Franc Zabkar wrote:
I've been reading this document which is an analysis of Google's hard
disc failure rates:

[...]

If you can keep your HDDs below around 40C or so, then you will
run them under data-center conditions. These conditions is what
the Google study is about. An example from my personal experience
is with Maxtor disks. They had direct outside airflow and stayed
30C under load and at 22C when idle. No failures in 3 years for
about 50 disks. These were the same Maxtors known to die fast when
run hot (e.g. at 50-60C).

Conditions in a typical PC are different. The HDDs are often
not directly cooled with outside air and can get hot under load.
If you have temperature spikes in the 50C range or higher,
temperature is a major factor in HDD death. How major exactly is
currently unknown or only known to the manufacturers. Most drives
have a 55C stated maximum temperature. The Maxtors I mention above
had a statement in their product manual that up to 60C the drive
failure rate would not increase, despite a 55C maximum temperature.
There is reason to believe that statement was over-optimistic or
a plain lie. So don't expect the HDD manufacturers to tell you
about high-temperature life expectancy.

Bottom line, the Google study shows that if you can get the drives
consitently down to below 40C, temperature does not matter a lot.
So the recomendation would be to have your drives (under load,
on a hot day) below 40C at all times. Note that this also applies
to external enclosures.

Arno

Old April 16th 08, 09:11 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Franc Zabkar

On 16 Apr 2008 12:20:06 GMT, Arno Wagner put finger
to keyboard and composed:

Bottom line, the Google study shows that if you can get the drives
consitently down to below 40C, temperature does not matter a lot.
So the recomendation would be to have your drives (under load,
on a hot day) below 40C at all times. Note that this also applies
to external enclosures.

Arno

AFAICS, the Google study conclusively shows that failure rates also
increase when temperatures drop below 35C. In fact lower temps appear
to be more dangerous than slightly higher temps, except when the drive
is getting old, in which case higher temps start to become
significant.

- Franc Zabkar
Old April 16th 08, 11:10 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Arno Wagner

Previously Franc Zabkar wrote:
On 16 Apr 2008 12:20:06 GMT, Arno Wagner put finger
to keyboard and composed:

Bottom line, the Google study shows that if you can get the drives
consitently down to below 40C, temperature does not matter a lot.
So the recomendation would be to have your drives (under load,
on a hot day) below 40C at all times. Note that this also applies
to external enclosures.

Arno

AFAICS, the Google study conclusively shows that failure rates also
increase when temperatures drop below 35C. In fact lower temps appear
to be more dangerous than slightly higher temps, except when the drive
is getting old, in which case higher temps start to become
significant.

Don't read too much into it. AFAIR they did not separate by
manufacturer, model and manufactuuring date. It is quite possible that
the drives running at lower temperatures were actually from a batch
that had less life expectancy from the start and stay at lower
temperatures because of different cooling characteristics, i.e. there
may well be a systematic error in the measurements.

Arno
Old April 17th 08, 07:09 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Franc Zabkar

On 16 Apr 2008 22:10:18 GMT, Arno Wagner put finger
to keyboard and composed:

[...]

The way I read it, the reliability-versus-temperature result was found
to be consistent across all models and manufacturers.

Failure rates are known to be highly correlated with drive models,
manufacturers and vintages. Our results do not contradict this fact.
For example, Figure 2 [Annualized failure rates broken down by age
groups] changes significantly when we normalize failure rates per each
drive model. Most age-related results are impacted by drive vintages.
However, in this paper, we do not show a breakdown of drives per
manufacturer, model, or vintage due to the proprietary nature of these
data.

Interestingly, this does not change our conclusions. In contrast to
age-related results, we note that all results shown in the rest of the
paper are not affected significantly by the population mix.

The data in this study are collected from a large number of disk
drives, deployed in several types of systems across all of Google’s
services. More than one hundred thousand disk drives were used for all
the results presented here. The disks are a combination of serial and
parallel ATA consumer-grade hard disk drives, ranging in speed from
5400 to 7200 rpm, and in size from 80 to 400 GB. All units in this
study were put into production in or after 2001. The population
contains several models from many of the largest disk drive
manufacturers and from at least nine different models.

- Franc Zabkar
Old April 17th 08, 02:22 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Arno Wagner

[...]

Indeed. But did they have all models and all manufacturers
at all temperatures?

[...]

Hmm, I have to look at the paper again. This smells rather
strongly of a methodical error.

Ok, I have it now. I think you refer to figure 5: "AFR for average
drove Temperature". This one seems to indicate slightly higher failure
rates for the 15...30C window than for the others in drives younger
than 3 years. If you consult figure 4, you see that temperature
extremes are rare. Then there is one thing: Partially defective drives
work slower or not at all. This may result in lower drive temperatures
(spin down, refusal to execute access) and higher drive temperatures
(lots and lots of retries, heat from bearings). This can
significantly skew the results. The basic results could be that
failing drives run hotter or colder than others. I am also missing
more break-downs into different temperature profiles (e.g. mainly
constant, strong variation, etc..) as it is, e.g., possible thet the
problem in the low temp section is due to cycling temperatures.

I am not saying the results are wrong, but they are suspicuous and
with the data given are _very_ difficult to even understand
properly. It does not seem any statistics expert was consulted by the
writers and the temperature results are by far the weakest in the
paper. I also miss a proof or at least conclusive argument that the
remaining observations are temperature independent, both for absolute
value and different change profiles.

The paper is still very valuable. Figures 7-10 give solid results, and
need no further details. Scanning your disks every 2 weeks or so and
monitoring reallocation counts is a very good idea (and something I
have been doing for several years now). The folks at Google likely
also found that the SMART status alone is typically over-optimistic.

As to many failures not being predicted by SMART data, my results
are different. It is possible that the drive selection here again
skewed the picture compared to modern drives. Personally I have had
100% prediction by SMART attributes (not SMART status though) in
an addmittedly small population of about 50 drives over three
years and with mostly Maxtors that are known to fail gradually.

Arno
Old April 17th 08, 09:16 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Franc Zabkar

On 17 Apr 2008 13:22:52 GMT, Arno Wagner put finger
to keyboard and composed:

[...]

I would expect that Google would identify a partially defective drive
(assuming it was detected by SMART) and eventually take it out of
service. Certainly, if the drive does not work at all, then by
definition it must be totally, not partially, defective. Having said
that, the article doesn't really give a satisfactory definition of
failure other than to say that it is the reason that a drive is
replaced. shrug

As for spin problems, the article states ...

"Spin Retries. Counts the number of retries when the drive is
attempting to spin up. We did not register a single count within our
entire population."

The basic results could be that
failing drives run hotter or colder than others. I am also missing
more break-downs into different temperature profiles (e.g. mainly
constant, strong variation, etc..) as it is, e.g., possible thet the
problem in the low temp section is due to cycling temperatures.

The article states ...

"As is common in server-class deployments, the disks were powered on,
spinning, and generally in service for essentially all of their
recorded life. They were deployed in rack-mounted servers and housed
in professionally managed datacenter facilities."

I think that would discount your temperature cycling hypothesis.

[...]

With respect, I prefer to accept Google's experience.

"It is difficult to add temperature to this analysis since despite it
being reported as part of SMART there are no crisp thresholds that
directly indicate errors. However, if we arbitrarily assume that
spending more than 50% of the observed time above 40C is an indication
of possible problem, and add those drives to the set of predictable
failures, we still are left with about 36% of all drives with no
failure signals at all."

I notice also that Google have an interesting observation regarding
seek errors.

"When examining our population, we find that seek errors are
widespread within drives of one manufacturer only, while others are
more conservative in showing this kind of errors. For this one
manufacturer, the trend in seek errors is not clear, changing from one
vintage to another. For other manufacturers, there is no correlation
between failure rates and seek errors."

I wonder if the abovementioned manufacturer is Seagate. IME, when
Seagate drives report a "seek error rate", they are actually reporting
a seek count.

- Franc Zabkar
Old April 17th 08, 09:56 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Arno Wagner

[...]

Problem is also that the failure time (according to the article)
was the replacement time. I have heard the chief Google technology
guy speak about this and he stated something like "every few months
defectives are repaired". There can be a long time between
faulyre and replacement.

As for spin problems, the article states ...

"Spin Retries. Counts the number of retries when the drive is
attempting to spin up. We did not register a single count within our
entire population."

That may just mean that no drive managed to get spun-up
at all after the first try failed. Or the attribute is unused.

The basic results could be that
failing drives run hotter or colder than others. I am also missing
more break-downs into different temperature profiles (e.g. mainly
constant, strong variation, etc..) as it is, e.g., possible thet the
problem in the low temp section is due to cycling temperatures.

The article states ...

"As is common in server-class deployments, the disks were powered on,
spinning, and generally in service for essentially all of their
recorded life. They were deployed in rack-mounted servers and housed
in professionally managed datacenter facilities."

I think that would discount your temperature cycling hypothesis.

Not at all. The very fact that disks managed to get to high
temperatures means that temperature cycles are possible.

[...]

This does not counter my argument. It just states that there are
at least 36% failures that are not temperature related. And it
is, as noted, quite arbitratily. The authors are speculating here
about whether temperature above 40C is the killer when observed more
than 50% of the time. It is not in their environment. This does not
surprise me at all.

Also note that there is no "Googles experience" in the paper.
This is "observations in a specfic environment by three people
with Google" and certainly the observations are not well
documented with regard to temperature. On the other hand, an air
conditioned data center and only two years of observation is not
enough to answer that question conclusively.

I notice also that Google have an interesting observation regarding
seek errors.

"When examining our population, we find that seek errors are
widespread within drives of one manufacturer only, while others are
more conservative in showing this kind of errors. For this one
manufacturer, the trend in seek errors is not clear, changing from one
vintage to another. For other manufacturers, there is no correlation
between failure rates and seek errors."

I wonder if the abovementioned manufacturer is Seagate. IME, when
Seagate drives report a "seek error rate", they are actually reporting
a seek count.

Quite frankly this shows that the authors have not a lot of
experience with SMART data. Seek errors are due to modern drives
starting reading before the heads have settled. This usually works,
but when it does not work it becomes a seek error. Some
manufacuters list these in the SMART data, other do not. The
number seen does not mean much, which is well known to people
that work a lot with SMART data.

Arno
Old April 17th 08, 11:53 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Folkert Rienstra

Arno Wagner wrote in
Previously Franc Zabkar wrote:
On 17 Apr 2008 13:22:52 GMT, Arno Wagner put finger
to keyboard and composed:

[...]

[awful big snip]

Quite frankly this shows that the authors have not a lot of
experience with SMART data.

Seek errors are due to modern drives starting reading before the
heads have settled.

Babblebot, clueless as always.

A seek error is a failure to find the addressed track.
The drive has a full rev. to determine that it is on the correct track.
It won't start to read user data until it has determined that it is
on the right track and in the right rotational position.
Also, there is no such time that the drive is *not* reading as it is
reading the servo data all the time. If the drive determines that
it is on the correct track then obviously the heads have settled.

This usually works, but when it does not work it becomes a seek error.

Nope, it becomes a read error.

Some manufacuters list these in the SMART data, other do not.

A seek error is a seek error, and that's that.

The number seen does not mean much, which is well known to people
that work a lot with SMART data.

Right, so obviously this should not be mentioned as an observation.
Babblebot, S.M.A.R.T. as ever.

Arno

Hard Drive Temperature Nehmo General 36 October 27th 05 12:35 AM
Hard Drive Temperature Nehmo Storage (alternative) 37 October 27th 05 12:35 AM
Recommended External Hard Drive Enclosure? AFGH Homebuilt PC's 1 July 2nd 05 03:55 PM
Recommended software to recover data from faulty hard drive? Frederic W. Erk Storage (alternative) 5 June 28th 04 11:55 AM
Recommended London (UK) vendor for 1394 3.5" hard drive? Davo-CC Storage (alternative) 0 June 20th 04 12:15 PM