Overclocking CPU & FSB (TBred B 2600+)

Old July 9th 03, 07:56 AM
Wes Newell

Default Overclocking CPU & FSB (TBred B 2600+)

On Wed, 09 Jul 2003 06:07:03 +0800, noise wrote:

Hi all, I've just got my first Athlon system and know next to nothing
about overclocking them, so I'd appreciate some help. I OC'd a K6-2 then
K6-3 system, so I have a basic idea of the concepts, but I've never had an
Athlon until a week ago.

Nothing has changed. It's still multiplier times FSB = cpu clock.

Got an EPOX 8RDA+ with NForce2 ST. According to the manual, this chipset
can do up to 333Mhz. (Win XP Home, TNT2 M64 temporarilly [AGP], 1 x 256MB
PC3200 DIMM)

In "Expert" mode, you can increment FSB 1Mhz at a time. I never noticed
it, but in non-expert mode, you can actually set it to 200 (options are
100, 133, 166 and 400). I never saw the 200 because I was only looking for
166
But I hear that this chipset ain't stable at 400. Questions:

You're kidding? They the proper 100,133,166, then show the bogus 400
(which is really 200)? Wonder how many that's confused.

1) Is the NF2 ST a different chipset to earlier NF2's? Is it a revision of
some sort? Any other new features?

Don't have a clue. The latest is the nf2 ultra 400 or 400 ultra.

2) I'm amazed to find my XP 2600+ T'bred B on this board is happy to run
at 400FSB... it's a boxed CPU with a sticker on the box stating it's a 333
Mhz FSB chip. Is it normal for this CPU to be able to handle 400, or have
I just got lucky? (I'm sure it's not a Barton, as it's got 256Kb cache).

Pretty much any XP will run at 200 MHz fsb. 1700+, 2600+, deosn't matter.

3) Should I be raising any CPU voltages or similar, or since it's stable
so far not to bother?

Never raise vcore unless needed. The more voltage, the hotter it will run.

(It's running stably like this (200 * 10.5 = 2100Mhz) and has been for
about 5 hrs now. No probs. in win XP home ed., or any of my 3d games,
mostly with q2 and q2 engines).

well, that only 17MHz over the default of 2083Mhz.:-)

4) What is the general procedure for overclocking a CPU?

Mult. x FSB

As in, how do I know when I need to raise the voltage?

When it becomes unstable at a higher speed.

Is there a good website or something I should read first?

I don't know.

5) RAM is Samsung DIMM w/ Samsung IC's, PC3200, 256MB, single DIMM (get
another soon, or maybe 2 * 512 of something fast). Claims to be CL2.5.
Running at 400FSB/400 RAM, what memory timings should I try for max.
performance? (Now 8/3/3/3, default BIOS, as I'm playing on the safe side).
Will RAM voltage tweaks help if I can't get better timings? How will I
know what voltage/timings to use? (reducing first figure below 7 always
craps out... is this RAM not really so good then?)

Raising the ram voltages will usually let it run a litlle faster.

6) How good are these particular CPU's for overclocking? As in, how much
can I expect to crank it?

hard to say, maybe 2400Mhz.

Thanks in advance. Anything else I should know I'd love to hear. BTW I
must say this CPU and mobo is exceptional value for money, esp. if I can
speed it up beyond standard. Wish I'd done a little more research first
tho, I'd never heard of a Barton core til I'd already bought this.....

Next time, buy cpu by its core model, not the PR rating. A 1700+ B core
will run just as fast as your 2600+, maybe faster.

Old July 18th 03, 12:04 AM
OZoNE

"noise" wrote in message
Hi all, I've just got my first Athlon system and know next to
nothing about overclocking them, so I'd appreciate some help.
I OC'd a K6-2 then K6-3 system, so I have a basic idea of the
concepts, but I've never had an Athlon until a week ago. Please
bear with me if I'm asking silly questions he

[...]

4) What is the general procedure for overclocking a CPU? As in,
how do I know when I need to raise the voltage? Is there a good
[...]

Many TIA,
n.

--
To reply remove spamblock and replace with iinet

my 2100+ is set to 11.5x210 FSB (420 DDR Bus)
I run at 2315Mhz.
YMMV but try 11/11.5/12/12.5 multipliers
see if cpu boots at default Vcore and runs stable.
good luck to ya and if need be find higest at default Vcore then bump
voltage a hair and try for higher/stable
as always watch temps and you should be fine.
OZoNE