Should I leave my printers on?

Old August 7th 05, 04:04 PM
OM

Default Should I leave my printers on?

I've read in a few posts that printers consume ink when turned on.
I've got a Canon iP4000 and an Epson CX5200.
Both, when turned on seem to do lots of sucking noises!
So... would I be better off simply leaving them both on?
I read someone say something about energy saving mode printers... and
OK to leave on if you have this and not to if you don't??

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks.

OM

Old August 7th 05, 06:41 PM
JustMe

Could you speak a little louder, I'm not sure if I heard what you said but I
think it was something about all computer equipment being left on all the
time. If everyone in the whole world took your advise it would be a
tremendous waste of our dwindling energy resources.

m...

Old August 7th 05, 10:38 PM
Hecate

On Sun, 07 Aug 2005 16:42:03 GMT, measekite
wrote:

ALL COMPUTER EQUIPMENT SHOULD ALWAYS REMAIN ON. LESS WEAR AND TEAR.

Total rubbish as usual.

--

Hecate - The Real One

Old August 8th 05, 01:45 AM
Tony

"OM" wrote:
I've read in a few posts that printers consume ink when turned on.
I've got a Canon iP4000 and an Epson CX5200.
Both, when turned on seem to do lots of sucking noises!
So... would I be better off simply leaving them both on?
I read someone say something about energy saving mode printers... and
OK to leave on if you have this and not to if you don't??

Bill's advice is exactly right.
But to dispell a myth. The belief that all computer equipment should be left
turned on at all times almost certainly comes from 20+ years ago when power
supplies had large chunks of iron (transformers) and large smoothing capacitors
in them and used poor regulation techniques compared to the modern day. These
old power supplies had heavy inrush currents (at turn on) and this often
translated to internal equipment voltage surges that could cause electronics to
fail prematurely. This is no longer the case; modern switching power supplies
have very low inrush and infinitely better regulation resulting in a controlled
application of voltages to the electronics. They are generally self monitoring
and turn themselves off if they fail before any damage to the printer
components can occur (note I said generally, all printers are not created equal
g)
Choose for yourself whether you turn equipment off or not based on power costs
and the uses you have for your printers and other computer equipment.
Tony

Old August 8th 05, 01:53 AM
Optional

wrote:

ALL COMPUTER EQUIPMENT SHOULD ALWAYS REMAIN ON. LESS WEAR AND TEAR.

Not true at all. There would be less home fires and you would slow
down the spread of viruses. Keep all software up to date and turn it
off when not in use.

OM wrote:

I've read in a few posts that printers consume ink when turned on.
I've got a Canon iP4000 and an Epson CX5200.
Both, when turned on seem to do lots of sucking noises!
So... would I be better off simply leaving them both on?
I read someone say something about energy saving mode printers... and
OK to leave on if you have this and not to if you don't??

Any feedback would be appreciated.

I don't think it matters at all. Obviously leave it off, if you plan
not to print for awhile.

Cheers
DK
Old August 8th 05, 04:26 AM
John Henderson

Tony wrote:

Bill's advice is exactly right.
But to dispell a myth. The belief that all computer equipment
should be left turned on at all times almost certainly comes
from 20+ years ago when power supplies had large chunks of
iron (transformers) and large smoothing capacitors in them and
used poor regulation techniques compared to the modern day.
These old power supplies had heavy inrush currents (at turn
on) and this often translated to internal equipment voltage
surges that could cause electronics to fail prematurely.

My experience (within your timeframe) is a little different. At
times, I was responsible for over a dozen mainframes and many
hundreds of printers and terminals. The mainframes stayed on,
but many of the peripherals were off most of the time.
Generally, the ones that spent most of the time off lasted the
longest - no doubt about it. But the failure rate was
spectacularly high in equipment that had been left running for
years, and then started to be regularly powered up and down.
This behaviour was so marked, it probably added to the myth.

This is no longer the case; modern switching power supplies
have very low inrush and infinitely better regulation
resulting in a controlled application of voltages to the
electronics. They are generally self monitoring and turn
themselves off if they fail before any damage to the printer
components can occur (note I said generally, all printers are
not created equal g) Choose for yourself whether you turn
equipment off or not based on power costs and the uses you
have for your printers and other computer equipment. Tony

Agreed, although I'd recommend switching off for strong
environmental reasons these days. A million devices using a
few watts in standby adds up to a very big load.

John
Old August 8th 05, 07:23 AM
measekite

ALL OF HELP IN THIS POST IS BULL****. I NEVER TURN OFF COMPUTER
EQUIPMENT AND I NEVER HAVE PROBLEMS.

Old August 8th 05, 07:43 AM
John Henderson

measekite wrote:

ALL OF HELP IN THIS POST IS BULL****. I NEVER TURN OFF
COMPUTER EQUIPMENT AND I NEVER HAVE PROBLEMS.

Thank you for adding to my credibility.

John

Warning about Canon PIXMA iP3000/iP4000 series printers Vincent Printers 62 June 16th 05 09:33 PM
4x6 printers Kenneth Oakman Printers 8 February 29th 04 10:37 PM
Inkjet printer's step motor? Bob Headrick Printers 4 February 17th 04 10:01 PM
Make use of STEP-MOTORS from old inkjet printers? Jian Printers 0 February 8th 04 05:12 PM
Lyson quad inks for Canon printers Jim Youngmeyer Printers 0 January 30th 04 05:25 PM