Better than a G550

Old July 15th 04, 06:48 PM

"Mike T" wrote
Matrox will have superior TV out quality.

"Rick" wrote
find a Matrox G400 Max and scrap everything else.

If a G400 Max can't be found, which one would you suggest
between the G550 and the P650, as asked by the original poster ?
Can you tell any performance difference of these two in TV-out,
or in image detail ?

I've read about compatibility problems between ASUS motherboards and the
P650, would I be safer by sticking to the older G550 ?
Do Abit motherboards work well with it ?
Old July 15th 04, 08:53 PM
Doug Ramage

Does the G400 Max work OK in Windows XP Pro?
--
Doug Ramage

[watch spam trap]

"Rick" wrote in message
If 3D speed isn't an issue and video playback quality is your primary
concern, find a Matrox G400 Max and scrap everything else. Matrox
switched certain components to an integrated design in later models in
order to reduce costs, and while video quality is still good, later models
don't have the same jump-off-the-screen-and-down-your-throat quality
as the G400 Max.

Rick

"Mike T" wrote in message

.. .
My experience with the ATI 8500 series and Nvidia Ti 4200 is that the

Matrox
will have superior TV out quality. The ATI has very poor resolution and

the
Nvidia was a little better but neither was as good as the G450 that I
currently use. I believe that Matrox knows how to "do" video and ATI

surely
does not. I will be measuring the performance of my FX5600 Ultra for TV

out
quality soon, no more ATI stuff for me. I measured the TV out using TV

test
signals recorded on a DVD test disk and a Tektronix TV Waveform monitor.

Mike T

"Doug Ramage" wrote in message
I am looking to improve video playback quality.

Currently I am using an FX5200, but I have a G550 and Radeon 9800 Pro

not
being used (long story).

Is the G550 likely to be better than the FX5200?

Would the 9800 Pro be better than the G550?

Would a P650 be better than the above?

Any views/comments?
--
Doug Ramage

[watch spam trap]

Old July 15th 04, 09:02 PM
Rick

"Doug Ramage" wrote in message ...
Does the G400 Max work OK in Windows XP Pro?

Yes.

Rick

Old July 16th 04, 08:32 AM
Doug Ramage

"Rick" wrote in message
"Doug Ramage" wrote in message

Does the G400 Max work OK in Windows XP Pro?

Yes.

Rick

Thanks, Rick.

Also, it seems that the G400 Max is analogue? Will this mean poorer quality
on a TFT monitor compared to the dvi-digital of the G550/P650?
--
Doug Ramage

[watch spam trap]

Old July 16th 04, 09:40 AM
Rick

"Rick" wrote in message
"Doug Ramage" wrote in message

Does the G400 Max work OK in Windows XP Pro?

Yes.

Rick

Thanks, Rick.

Also, it seems that the G400 Max is analogue? Will this mean poorer quality
on a TFT monitor compared to the dvi-digital of the G550/P650?

Most probably, but if you're planning to use a TFT for DVD
output (or 3D gaming), be sure to get one with a fast response
time. Otherwise you'll likely run into ghosting problems.

Rick

Old July 16th 04, 10:38 AM
Doug Ramage

"Rick" wrote in message
"Doug Ramage" wrote in message

Does the G400 Max work OK in Windows XP Pro?

Yes.

Rick

Thanks, Rick.

Also, it seems that the G400 Max is analogue? Will this mean poorer

quality
on a TFT monitor compared to the dvi-digital of the G550/P650?

Most probably, but if you're planning to use a TFT for DVD
output (or 3D gaming), be sure to get one with a fast response
time. Otherwise you'll likely run into ghosting problems.

Rick

It's never simple, is it.

I have a 19" TFT which I bought partly to watch dvd and digital TV (no
gaming). The response time is 25ms. Could this response time be the cause
(or part of it) for poor playback at full screen?

I have just acquired a Matrox G400-TV for analogue viewing & recording. I
don't know what it's like, as it only arrived a few minutes ago.
--
Doug Ramage

[watch spam trap]

Old July 16th 04, 11:05 AM
Rick

"Rick" wrote in message
"Doug Ramage" wrote in message
Does the G400 Max work OK in Windows XP Pro?

Yes.

Thanks, Rick.

Also, it seems that the G400 Max is analogue? Will this mean poorer

quality
on a TFT monitor compared to the dvi-digital of the G550/P650?

Most probably, but if you're planning to use a TFT for DVD
output (or 3D gaming), be sure to get one with a fast response
time. Otherwise you'll likely run into ghosting problems.

It's never simple, is it.

I have a 19" TFT which I bought partly to watch dvd and digital TV (no
gaming). The response time is 25ms. Could this response time be the cause
(or part of it) for poor playback at full screen?

Depends what you mean by 'poor playback'. If you're seeing
ghosting (images blurring into one another during fast motion
scenes), then yes, slow response time is the cause. 25ms isn't
bad but there are faster TFTs out now, 16ms, 12, 10ms etc.

I have just acquired a Matrox G400-TV for analogue viewing & recording. I
don't know what it's like, as it only arrived a few minutes ago.

Post back and let us know.

Rick

Old July 16th 04, 11:55 AM
Doug Ramage

"Rick" wrote in message
"Doug Ramage" wrote in message

snip?

I have just acquired a Matrox G400-TV for analogue viewing & recording.

don't know what it's like, as it only arrived a few minutes ago.

Post back and let us know.

Rick

Will do.
--