Trouble understanding errors in Intel StorCon+ (Storage Console Plus)for RAID

Old February 26th 08, 04:43 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
John Doe[_7_]

Default Trouble understanding errors in Intel StorCon+ (Storage Console Plus)for RAID

A client failed to report a blaring alarm coming from this Intel
SRCS14L RAID controller for three weeks! When I went on-site, the
server closet felt like walking into an oven and I found that 2 of 4
drives had gone offline in 2 weeks.
The 4 drives are configured in a RAID 10. I have never seen these
errors occur. All drives appear online but looking at the Logical
Configuration view, there are 2 drives that have red cylinder icons
with lightning bolts on them. I'm attaching some screen shots.
In the physical Config view, I get an option to "Repair Config. Data"
but I'm not clear on what this means. Intel does not support this
card and they will not talk to me over the phone about it.
Can anyone shed a little light on this?
Old February 26th 08, 04:59 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
GT

"John Doe" wrote in message

[question clipped]

I'm attaching some screen shots.

I can't help directly with the problem, but a quick heads-up:

This newsgroup can't take attachments. You have to subscribe to an online
photo service, upload your photos there, then get the URL for your photos,
one at a time and post the URL in this group. Of course, the URL will
probably wrap, so you will probably want to put the URL through a URL
shrinker first (TinyURL for example). Aparently, the newsgroup works better
this way!

Old February 26th 08, 05:03 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
pcbldrNinetyEight

John Doe wrote in
:

A client failed to report a blaring alarm coming from this Intel
SRCS14L RAID controller for three weeks! When I went on-site, the
server closet felt like walking into an oven and I found that 2 of 4
drives had gone offline in 2 weeks.
The 4 drives are configured in a RAID 10. I have never seen these
errors occur. All drives appear online but looking at the Logical
Configuration view, there are 2 drives that have red cylinder icons
with lightning bolts on them. I'm attaching some screen shots.
In the physical Config view, I get an option to "Repair Config. Data"
but I'm not clear on what this means. Intel does not support this
card and they will not talk to me over the phone about it.
Can anyone shed a little light on this?

Screen shots you say! I'd pay a dollar to see how you do that in this
newsgroup. You are aware that this is a newsgroup and not a forum run by
google aren't you? Newsgroups are totally independent of and predate
google by many years.

--
pcbldrNinetyEight
Old February 26th 08, 05:15 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
John Doe[_7_]

Thanks for pointing that out to me. Here's a link to a Google photo
album. http://picasaweb.google.com/newworld...tsOfRAIDIssues
I'd also like to include the text from the config and log of the RAID
card but it's a long log. I can e-mail it if this is not a problem.
Thanks again!
Old February 26th 08, 06:11 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Paul

John Doe wrote:
Thanks for pointing that out to me. Here's a link to a Google photo
album. http://picasaweb.google.com/newworld...tsOfRAIDIssues
I'd also like to include the text from the config and log of the RAID
card but it's a long log. I can e-mail it if this is not a problem.
Thanks again!

PDF page 178, Table 11-23. Lightning bolt icon = "FAIL"

http://download.intel.com/support/mo...cs14l/irsg.pdf

"RAID 10 is a stripe of mirrors."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAID_10#RAID_10

Maybe going through the logs, would give a hint as to how many
drives have failed. The icons almost suggest to me, that three
or four drives are failed, but that can't be right.

Paul