Monitor Refresh Rate

Old February 22nd 08, 10:37 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Goff

Default Monitor Refresh Rate

I have a cheapo widescreen, 19" monitor. I'm using it on a Linux system.
The two options I have for refresh are 1440x900@60hz and 75hz. I'm
using the analog cable @ 60hz.
What advantage, if any, would I have by running at 75hz ??
TIA

Old February 23rd 08, 02:00 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Grinder

Goff wrote:
I have a cheapo widescreen, 19" monitor. I'm using it on a Linux system.
The two options I have for refresh are 1440x900@60hz and 75hz. I'm
using the analog cable @ 60hz.
What advantage, if any, would I have by running at 75hz ??

For a CRT monitor, 75Hz might be a benefit over 60Hz, if you can
perceive the fade and refresh of the individual updates. Some people
say they can, either directly or indirectly from eye strain. For LCD
monitors, I doubt you could tell any difference.
Old February 23rd 08, 04:54 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
kony

On Fri, 22 Feb 2008 22:37:12 GMT, Goff
wrote:

I have a cheapo widescreen, 19" monitor. I'm using it on a Linux system.
The two options I have for refresh are 1440x900@60hz and 75hz. I'm
using the analog cable @ 60hz.
What advantage, if any, would I have by running at 75hz ??
TIA

If you had a fluorescent light in the room flickering in
sync with the monitor it might look worse at 60Hz. If you
were one of the rare humans with extremely good eyesight you
might notice the screen updating at 60Hz though it is beyond
most perception when an LCD instead of CRT. If you can't
tell the difference, in theory running at 60Hz leaves more
bandwidth on the analog cable and should be slightly crisper
output.
Old February 24th 08, 03:36 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
pcbldrNinetyEight

Goff wrote in
m:

I have a cheapo widescreen, 19" monitor. I'm using it on a Linux system.
The two options I have for refresh are 1440x900@60hz and 75hz. I'm
using the analog cable @ 60hz.
What advantage, if any, would I have by running at 75hz ??
TIA

According to page five of this article:
"You may argue that many monitors already support 75Hz, but I have to
disappoint you: this support is implemented only on paper in most cases.
The monitor is receiving 75 frames per second from the PC, but is
discarding each fifth frame to display 60 frames per second on the matrix."

From:
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/oth...ameters_5.html

I had assumed that my CRT was obsolete and LCDs were the best thing since
sliced bread. Maybe not?

--
pcbldrNinetyEight
Old February 29th 08, 01:34 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Lord Turkey Cough

"pcbldrNinetyEight" pcbldrninetyeight.com wrote in message
4...
Goff wrote in
m:

I have a cheapo widescreen, 19" monitor. I'm using it on a Linux system.
The two options I have for refresh are 1440x900@60hz and 75hz. I'm
using the analog cable @ 60hz.
What advantage, if any, would I have by running at 75hz ??
TIA

According to page five of this article:
"You may argue that many monitors already support 75Hz, but I have to
disappoint you: this support is implemented only on paper in most cases.
The monitor is receiving 75 frames per second from the PC, but is
discarding each fifth frame to display 60 frames per second on the
matrix."

So...would I be correct in saying you should run at 60Hz to get more
out of your graphics card?
I mean the card has to work harder to do 75 Hz?
I have set mine to 60 but I cant say it seems any better.

From:

Old February 29th 08, 02:11 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
peter

The thought that crossed my mind was how many lines is it discarding at
peter

news

From: