Adding DVD burner

Old January 22nd 08, 03:11 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
pheasant

Default Adding DVD burner

Last build was an Athalon XP Barton 2500 on a Soltek board, so I'm waay
behind the times.

It has an open drive bay, so decided to add a DVD burner. Getting
closer to being modern.

When I put it together, put in 2 CD-RW drives, one on each header as
master or cable select, can't remember until I open the box.

Would I be better off removing one of the CD drives, or putting one as a
slave to the other, and giving the DVD the master slot on the other channel?

Plenty of space, just trying to make it as easy as possible to avoid
conflicts.

Thanks

Mark
Old January 22nd 08, 03:41 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
sandy58

On Jan 22, 2:11 pm, pheasant wrote:
Last build was an Athalon XP Barton 2500 on a Soltek board, so I'm waay
behind the times.

It has an open drive bay, so decided to add a DVD burner. Getting
closer to being modern.

When I put it together, put in 2 CD-RW drives, one on each header as
master or cable select, can't remember until I open the box.

Would I be better off removing one of the CD drives, or putting one as a
slave to the other, and giving the DVD the master slot on the other channel?

Plenty of space, just trying to make it as easy as possible to avoid
conflicts.

Thanks

Mark

You can burn cd's with DVD burner. I have two, one master & one slave
on one ide ribbon.
Good luck, Mark
Old January 22nd 08, 05:33 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Dave

"pheasant" wrote in message

Last build was an Athalon XP Barton 2500 on a Soltek board, so I'm waay
behind the times.

It has an open drive bay, so decided to add a DVD burner. Getting closer
to being modern.

When I put it together, put in 2 CD-RW drives, one on each header as
master or cable select, can't remember until I open the box.

Would I be better off removing one of the CD drives, or putting one as a
slave to the other, and giving the DVD the master slot on the other
channel?

Plenty of space, just trying to make it as easy as possible to avoid
conflicts.

Thanks

Mark

As neither of your current drives has the ability to read DVDs, my opinion
is remove BOTH drives, find a bay cover to fill in the hole. Any current
DVD burner will likely record CDs faster than your current drives anyway.
So you won't be losing any capability.

The only reason to keep one of the current drives is if you do a LOT of CD
copying, bit for bit. Then you could use one of the old drives as a source
drive. But it's still easy to copy a CD with just one drive, so only keep
one of the old drives if you do a lot of copying of CD.

Another option would be to buy a cheap DVD drive for the other bay, instead
of a bay cover. -Dave

Old January 22nd 08, 06:04 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
pcbldrNinetyEight

pheasant wrote in
:

Last build was an Athalon XP Barton 2500 on a Soltek board, so I'm
waay behind the times.

It has an open drive bay, so decided to add a DVD burner. Getting
closer to being modern.

When I put it together, put in 2 CD-RW drives, one on each header as
master or cable select, can't remember until I open the box.

Would I be better off removing one of the CD drives, or putting one as
a slave to the other, and giving the DVD the master slot on the other
channel?

Plenty of space, just trying to make it as easy as possible to avoid
conflicts.

Thanks

Mark

If you want to use all the drives put the DVD burner as master and a CD
burner as slave on one port. Put the other CD burner as slave and HD as
master on the other port.

DeepBurner is free software compatiable with all drives and versions of
WIN:
http://www.deepburner.com/

I like it and the price is right.

--