Detecting 100GB disk when it should be 120GB

Old October 6th 03, 06:59 PM
Macca

Default Detecting 100GB disk when it should be 120GB

Hi,
Ive just bought a new120GB Western digital JB ATA100 8mb cache hard disk.

I'm running Win98 and after installing the disk and running Partition
Manager it shows the undefined disk as 106273.7Mb ie just over 100GB. I know
that the actual capacity advertised by manufacturers id a little bit over
what it is but should there be nearly 20Gb missing?

I'd appreciate any comments as to why this might be.

Thanks
Macca

Old October 6th 03, 07:22 PM
Cari

120gb.... should be recognized by Windows as 111.7gb - in binary MB it's
114,440mb.

Cari
www.coribright.com

Old October 7th 03, 03:42 PM
Halfgaar

Macca wrote:

Hi,
Ive just bought a new120GB Western digital JB ATA100 8mb cache hard disk.

I'm running Win98 and after installing the disk and running Partition
Manager it shows the undefined disk as 106273.7Mb ie just over 100GB. I
know that the actual capacity advertised by manufacturers id a little bit
over what it is but should there be nearly 20Gb missing?

I'd appreciate any comments as to why this might be.

Thanks
Macca

What does the BIOS say about it, how big is it there? If 120 GB means
120000000000 bytes, it's actually 117 gb. 20 gb is too much a difference.
Does fdisk or some other partionsoftware show any unallocated space?
Perhaps you've not allocated 100% of the drive.

Halfgaar
--
To send me, Halfgaar, email, remove remove from my email address.
Old October 7th 03, 06:57 PM
Macca

I have an ABIT KR7A RAID motherboard and tried to connect it to one of the
RAID IDE ports so it didnt have to be a slave to my old hard disk. When i
changed it to be a slave it recognised the correct amount,

Macca

Old October 7th 03, 07:51 PM
Halfgaar

Macca wrote:

I have an ABIT KR7A RAID motherboard and tried to connect it to one of the
RAID IDE ports so it didnt have to be a slave to my old hard disk. When i
changed it to be a slave it recognised the correct amount,

Macca

Hmm, I find that strange and it shouldn't do that.

Halfgaar
--
To send me, Halfgaar, email, remove remove from my email address.

USB Flash Disk Question Roland General 2 September 24th 03 02:44 PM
HELP, SATA Hard Disk YKK General 12 September 14th 03 09:46 PM
Partitioning a hard disk James D General 4 September 4th 03 05:12 AM
Trouble installing a 5.25" disk drive Patrik Spånning Westerlund General 1 August 8th 03 12:30 AM
Only 128Gb of a 160Gb disk ByTor General 2 July 31st 03 02:49 AM