PCI Express sound cards, GOOD quality, WHERE???

Old February 24th 08, 02:45 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Dave

Default PCI Express sound cards, GOOD quality, WHERE???

Starting research for my next build. It will be an occasional gamer, but
mainly used for Internet and multimedia applications. Rather high-end.
Won't even consider using sound built into mainboard, but would prefer to
avoid Creative brand products as well. Don't want to buy a PCI sound card,
want PCI Express. Usually prefer Turtle Beach products, but they don't seem
to make any PCI Express format sound cards. Would prefer to spend a hundred
or less on the Sound card, but will spend more if necessary.

MAIN thing I'm looking for is sound quality. I don't care about game
performance (for the sound card at least), I want "flat", non-distorted
sound output. Needs to play music to drive high-end powered speakers at
extreme volume levels and sound awesome three rooms away. As I said
before, I've been pretty happy with Turle Beach sound cards in the past.
Good compromise of good sound quality, while still being reasonably priced.
But need PCI express.

Oh, and I don't care how many "channels" it has. 7.1 seems to be the norm
now, but it won't be using more than two channels, probably.

OK, who makes it? -Dave

Old February 24th 08, 03:17 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Conor[_2_]

In article , Dave says...
[...]

There's no need for a PCIe soundcard and creative X-Fi's are fine.

--
Conor

looking good either. - Scott Adams
Old February 24th 08, 03:36 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Man-wai Chang ToDie

OK, who makes it? -Dave

There's no need for a PCIe soundcard and creative X-Fi's are fine.

Future motherboards might not have a PCI slot... so....

--
@~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
/( _ )\ (Xubuntu 7.04) Linux 2.6.24.2
Old February 24th 08, 03:53 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Dave

"Man-wai Chang ToDie" wrote in message
OK, who makes it? -Dave

There's no need for a PCIe soundcard and creative X-Fi's are fine.

Future motherboards might not have a PCI slot... so....

Yup, I prefer not to use any PCI slot at all for my next build. And I've
always found Creative products (even the high-end ones) to have a tinny
sound quality. -Dave

Old February 24th 08, 04:32 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Man-wai Chang ToDie

Yup, I prefer not to use any PCI slot at all for my next build. And
I've always found Creative products (even the high-end ones) to have a
tinny sound quality. -Dave

Upgrading sound card alone won't cut it. You also need expensive
speakers to really feel the sound card change.

--
@~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
/( _ )\ (Xubuntu 7.04) Linux 2.6.24.2
^ ^ 23:32:01 up 12 days 13:32 0 users load average: 0.05 0.04 0.00
? ? (CSSA):
Old February 24th 08, 04:59 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
pcbldrNinetyEight

Man-wai Chang ToDie wrote in
:

OK, who makes it? -Dave

There's no need for a PCIe soundcard and creative X-Fi's are fine.

Future motherboards might not have a PCI slot... so....

Should we assume that a sound card will outlive the original build and will
therefore be carried forward for use on all future builds? What if the
sound card is never removed from the original build?
--
pcbldrNinetyEight
Old February 24th 08, 05:10 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
pcbldrNinetyEight

Man-wai Chang ToDie wrote in
:

Yup, I prefer not to use any PCI slot at all for my next build. And
I've always found Creative products (even the high-end ones) to have
a tinny sound quality. -Dave

Upgrading sound card alone won't cut it. You also need expensive
speakers to really feel the sound card change.

Speakers are the single most important factor in sound quality. But
perceived differences in sound quality are as personal as how sweet your
beverage should be. There is no substitute for auditioning speakers
first hand.

OT: Chang, why did you choose Ubantu?

--
pcbldrNinetyEight
Old February 24th 08, 10:01 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Larc[_2_]

On Sun, 24 Feb 2008 08:45:13 -0500, "Dave" wrote:

[...]

You may also want to consider a USB sound card. Turtle Beach has some
models available as well as Asus, M-Audio and others.

Larc

Old February 25th 08, 07:20 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Man-wai Chang ToDie

OT: Chang, why did you choose Ubantu?

I don't know. It just works and worked.

Currently the linux distribution "war" is between Ubuntu and Fedora. The
rest... um...

--
@~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
/( _ )\ (Xubuntu 7.04) Linux 2.6.24.2
^ ^ 14:19:01 up 13 days 4:19 0 users load average: 0.01 0.00 0.00
? ? (CSSA):
Old February 25th 08, 07:21 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Man-wai Chang ToDie

beverage should be. There is no substitute for auditioning speakers
first hand.

And I need a lottery prize to buy them.

--
@~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
/( _ )\ (Xubuntu 7.04) Linux 2.6.24.2
^ ^ 14:20:01 up 13 days 4:20 0 users load average: 0.05 0.01 0.00
? ? (CSSA):