Convert hidden primary partition to logical

Old August 24th 03, 07:28 PM
Balaji V

Default Convert hidden primary partition to logical

Hi:
I used Partition Magic 8 to repartion my hard disk. Now I have ended
up with a structure with two primary partitions (one being hidden). I
want to convert the hidden primary partition to a extended logical
partition. But since the second primary partition is hidden, partition
magic has all the convert and other options disabled for this
partition (it also shows file system as 1F(Hex), but I guess that is
because it is hidden).
Also now I have no extended partition at all on my hard drive.
Any help on how I can convert the hidden primary partition to a
extended logical partition is highly appreciated. Thanks in Advance.
Balaji V
Old August 24th 03, 10:45 PM
Michael Kimmer

Balaji V wrote:
Hi:
I used Partition Magic 8 to repartion my hard disk. Now I have ended
up with a structure with two primary partitions (one being hidden). I
want to convert the hidden primary partition to a extended logical
partition. But since the second primary partition is hidden, partition
magic has all the convert and other options disabled for this
partition (it also shows file system as 1F(Hex), but I guess that is
because it is hidden).
Also now I have no extended partition at all on my hard drive.
Any help on how I can convert the hidden primary partition to a
extended logical partition is highly appreciated. Thanks in Advance.
Balaji V

If you convert the hidden primary partition to a logical, I mean *not* an
extended logical partition, the partition will be converted to a logical
partition, that is a partition that is automatically contained in an
extended partition. You do not need to create an extended partition yourself
with PartitionMagic for the program will do that automatically for you as
soon as you either create a logical partition or convert in your case a
primary partition into a logical one...

I honestly do _not_ know what an extended logical partition is for an
extended partition itself is actually a PRIMARY partition!

--
M.f.G.
Michael Kimmer

"Ein Tag an dem Du nicht lächelst ist ein verlorener Tag"
"Eine Nacht in der Du nicht schläfst ist eine verschlafene Nacht"

Old August 25th 03, 04:07 AM
Balaji V

"Michael Kimmer" wrote in message ...
Balaji V wrote:
[...]

Hi Michael:
Thanks for the reply. Sorry it was my mistake in saying a 'extended
logical', I was actually meaning a logical partition.
My problem here is that in partition magic, for the hidden primary
partion, all the options including convert are disabled (indeed the
filesystem is shown as 1F even though it is actually fat32).
The option to delete this partition and recreate would be my last
option since I have data in that partition which I prefer not to
loose. Thanks.

Balaji V
Old August 25th 03, 09:54 AM
John

om...

Balaji V wrote:
[...]

I think you should buy another hard drive and run a backup onto it
before changing the partition type. PM isn't that reliable when resizing
and changing partition types. That's why I suggested just unhiding the
partition (rather than changing it's type).

Old August 25th 03, 10:17 PM
Michael Kimmer

Balaji V wrote:
[...]

If you seem not to find a way to proceed you may want to post a partinfo
file so that I am able to advice you on how to proceed in order to succeed
in converting a hidden primary partition to a logical one (that it is hidden
or not shouldn't make a difference)...

How to create a partition information file?
- start from the first PM rescue disk.
- Press a key after the prompt rather than to physically insert disk #2
- type: partinfo pi.txt en press the Enter key.
- post the contents of "pi.txt" using a hyperlink

Old August 25th 03, 10:22 PM
Michael Kimmer

John wrote:
om...

Balaji V wrote:
[...]

OMG!...Are you serious??? I hope not!

--
M.f.G.
Michael Kimmer

"Ein Tag an dem Du nicht lächelst ist ein verlorener Tag"
"Eine Nacht in der Du nicht schläfst ist eine verschlafene Nacht"

- type: partinfo pi.txt en press the Enter key.
- post the contents of "pi.txt" using a hyperlink

Thanks Michael:
Here is the info from the file. Thanks in advance for the help.

cut

_Application PowerQuest Partition Table Editor_:
1. Please, run *PTEDIT32.EXE* located in the PartitionMagic 8.0 installation
path
2. Make sure you have Admin rights.
3. Find the line in which the *Type* column shows "1F" (hidden extended).
4. Change the value "1F" into "0F" and click on the button "Save Changes"
5. Close the Partition Table Editor and return to PartitionMagic 8.0

Now you should be able to convert the primary partition to logical for the
system now sees where to put the logical partitoon: in the extended area
which was hidden perviously.