Slipstream RAID drivers for DP35DP mb WinXP install?

Old April 19th 08, 06:21 PM posted to comp.sys.intel
Ken[_8_]

Default Slipstream RAID drivers for DP35DP mb WinXP install?

This mb apparently has no floppy drive, but XP needs a floppy in order
to load the RAID drivers. I have read online that one can "slipstream"
the drivers onto a WinXP install CD, but I find the process confusing.
Is there somewhere I can purchase or download an image of a WinXP SP2 cd
with slipstreamed drivers? ( I have a registered copy of WinXP with
install code) Or is there a "Slipstreaming for Dummies" somewhere
online????

Or is there another option?

Thanks
Ken K
Old April 20th 08, 02:51 AM posted to comp.sys.intel
Ken[_8_]

Shawn said the following on 4/19/2008 4:01 PM:
"Ken" wrote in message ...
This mb apparently has no floppy drive, but XP needs a floppy in order to load the RAID drivers. I have read online that one can
"slipstream" the drivers onto a WinXP install CD, but I find the process confusing. Is there somewhere I can purchase or download
an image of a WinXP SP2 cd with slipstreamed drivers? ( I have a registered copy of WinXP with install code) Or is there a
"Slipstreaming for Dummies" somewhere online????

Or is there another option?

Thanks
Ken K

If your MB supports flash drive boots then copy the drivers on the flash drive, enable it
in the BIOS but make the boot priority CD, HDD, USB Flash.

All the equipment is on order and should arrive, so I am not sure yet
what is in the BIOS of the DP35DP.
Old April 20th 08, 03:27 AM posted to comp.sys.intel
Frank Pajerski[_2_]

I built a new computer last Fall with an Intel DP35DP MB, installing
WinXP-SP2 (retail) via an IDE ODD onto a SATA HDD. RAID/AHCI was specified
in the BIOS.

I needed to load the necessary drivers at WinXP F6 install time. A USB
flash drive was not recognized (but is for a Vista install) but a USB FDD
was recognized during the base WinXp install ... but only if it is a
supported model, see KB916196 for details. I bought a supported IBM (TEAC)
USB FDD cheaply and quickly via eBay.

Past the F6 point in installing the base WinXP, a BSOD a few minutes later
in the "WinXP Setup" process consistantly stopped me. The BSOD was resolved
by then using a customized WinXP installation
CD with SP2 slipstreamed in. "nLite" http://www.nliteos.com/index.html
easily and correctly produced this CD for an inexperienced me.

Lately, I see "AutoStreamer" also being mentioned as a good easy way to
build a WinXP-SP2 installation CD.
http://www.simplyguides.net/guides/u...ostreamer.html

The system booted fine, all maintenance past SP2 was applied, BIOS and
drivers were made current, and the IDE ODD was replaced with a SATA ODD.
Everything still runs fine now.

--- Frank

Old April 20th 08, 04:37 PM posted to comp.sys.intel
Ken[_8_]

"Ken" wrote in message
This mb apparently has no floppy drive, but XP needs a floppy in
order to load the RAID drivers. I have read online that one can
"slipstream" the drivers onto a WinXP install CD, but I find the
process confusing. Is there somewhere I can purchase or download an
image of a WinXP SP2 cd with slipstreamed drivers? ( I have a
registered copy of WinXP with install code) Or is there a
"Slipstreaming for Dummies" somewhere online????

Or is there another option?

Thanks
Ken K

If your MB supports flash drive boots then copy the drivers on the
flash drive, enable it
in the BIOS but make the boot priority CD, HDD, USB Flash.

All the equipment is on order and should arrive, so I am not sure yet
what is in the BIOS of the DP35DP.

Frank,

Perhaps you can answer a question for me. I am not planning on a RAID
array for installation of WinXP. I am just interested in a WinXP
installation on a SATA hard drive. That being the case, my question is
whether that can be done without RAID/SATA drivers on a floppy (are
there native SATA drivers in WinXP SP2 install disk?)? If so, what
settings do I need to check in the BIOS to allow the SATA drive to be
recognized? If I can do the install directly, I may be able to forgo
the slipstreaming issue. Another workaround would be to do an install
on an IDE drive then clone the drive on a SATA drive after the RAID/SATA
drives have been installed, although that would be a little time-consuming.

Thanks for the reference to the Windows knowledge base article and to
nLite. I have this coming week off and will play around trying to
create a slipstreamed install disk.

Ken K
Old April 20th 08, 09:24 PM posted to comp.sys.intel
Ken[_8_]

George Orwell said the following on 4/20/2008 11:38 AM:
On Sun, 20 Apr 2008 08:37:05 -0700, Ken wrote:

I am not planning on a RAID
array for installation of WinXP. I am just interested in a WinXP
installation on a SATA hard drive. That being the case, my question is
whether that can be done without RAID/SATA drivers on a floppy (are
there native SATA drivers in WinXP SP2 install disk?)? If so, what
settings do I need to check in the BIOS to allow the SATA drive to be
recognized? If I can do the install directly, I may be able to forgo
the slipstreaming issue.

You only need SATA drivers from the floppy if you enable AHCI (Advanced
Host Controller Interface) in the BIOS under Configure SATA as. The SATA
drive needs to support NCQ (Native Command Queuing). If AHCI is enabled in
the BIOS and you don't install drivers via F6 and floppy, XP won't see the
SATA drive. Also, if you enable AHCI after you've installed XP with SATA
configured as IDE, your system won't boot.

My advice is to stay away from this feature and configure SATA in the BIOS
as IDE. When you do this you don't need any drivers from the floppy,
Windows XP has it all. Just be sure to use an XP CD that has SP2 present.
Otherwise you will get a BSOD during the install and you'll have to start
all over.

https://www.mixmaster.it

My XP disk is SP2. OK, I found a copy of the BIOS glossary. So I go to
Advanced, Drive Configuration, Configure SATA as..., then choose IDE, as
opposed to RAID or AHCI. Looks very straight-forward

That raises the question about initial configuration of the BIOS.
Should I just use defaults from the get-go or are there known issues
that I should change first? And is it best to flash the latest BIOS
upgrade or should I wait to see if there is any problem that develops?
Looks like it is a relative piece of cake to flash the BIOS from within
Windows. (My present board is an ASUS and needs to be flashed by
booting with a floppy).

Thanks. Hope I am not being a PITA. I appreciate the hand-holding.

Ken K
Old April 20th 08, 10:21 PM posted to comp.sys.intel
Frank Pajerski[_2_]

I think that I just used the BIOS settings as they were, and with SATA/AHCI
specified (thinking that this gives me the best performance and covers RAID
usage if/when I want it). I'm new to all this, and so only made a few
changes when required or until I finally understood the matter. Last fall,
my DP35DP was delivered with a real early BIOS (0216, May2007). That very
early level worked OK. Now, under WinXP, the BIOS upgrade is merely
executing the downloaded file and watching things run for two minutes ...
piece of cake.

But to tell you about another DP35DP problem that may not be unique to me
I first installed Vista, no problem doing so, and ran it for a week before
giving up on it ... it was just too annoying to be tolerated.
I then installed WinXP-SP2 to another HDD as previously described. Now, the
"audio" controller is not seen and thus the audio-drive install failed. I
emailed back and forth with Intel for a week with such frustration and no
progress that I was then happy to bypass/fix this problem by spending $30
for an audio card.

--- Frank

Old April 20th 08, 11:17 PM posted to comp.sys.intel
Ken[_8_]

"Ken" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks for the heads-up, Frank. As I see it, I can choose SATA as IDE
for my initial install and then I should be able to install the RAID
drivers any time I wish.

The audio issue is one I had not heard about. We will see how that goes.
It would not be an issue to purchase an audio card. I don't know what
I would do with the extra PCI and PCI Express slots anyway.

Ken
Old April 21st 08, 01:03 AM posted to comp.sys.intel
Frank Pajerski[_2_]

Just keep things simple, don't do more than you have to.

But I would think that building a WinXP-SP2 installation CVD via nLite or
AutoStreamer would be worth the easy trouble. And if your HDD is larger
than a certain size (I don't have these numbers on hand), it may be
necessary so that the full capacity of the HDD is seen. I'm sure someone
can expand on this.

--- Frank

news

Old April 22nd 08, 03:19 AM posted to comp.sys.intel
Richard Herb

please do not install obsolete operating systems

This is 2008

We are running the Feb 2008 release of Vista Ultimate off
supertorrents.
and the 2.1 gig pack of dreamscenes.

sata RAID 0 on the C Drive(s)

Old April 22nd 08, 11:31 PM posted to comp.sys.intel
Nate Edel

Richard Herb wrote:
please do not install obsolete operating systems

XP is no more obsolete than Vista.

Better yet, though, please don't run Microsoft operating systems.

--
Nate Edel http://www.cubiclehermit.com/
preferred email |