RAM-OT but covered in an earlier post

Old February 9th 04, 02:07 PM
GTX_SlotCar

Default RAM-OT but covered in an earlier post

In an earlier post someone said I should have more than 256mb of ram. I said
my hard drive was being accessed in Call of Duty, but later apologized and
said that I was mistaken.

I borrowed another 256mb stick of ram from work and put it in my home
computer. It was slower ram than what I've been using, so I had to slow down
my computer and change the fsb/mem ratio to 1:1.
I then ran a few timedemos with 256 and then 512mb of ram. I left all
settings the same except that I set my AGP aperture to 128 when using 256mb
of ram and set it to 256 when using 512 (I actually tried several settings,
but this worked best).
The bottom line is that the frame rates averaged 66% higher when using 512mb
of ram.
A lesson learned for me and my thanks to Pluvious for suggesting it to me.

Gary

--
Tweaks & Reviews
www.slottweak.com

Old February 9th 04, 06:12 PM
Pluvious

On Mon, 9 Feb 2004 09:07:13 -0500, "GTX_SlotCar"
wrote:

||In an earlier post someone said I should have more than 256mb of ram. I said
||my hard drive was being accessed in Call of Duty, but later apologized and
||said that I was mistaken.
||I borrowed another 256mb stick of ram from work and put it in my home
||computer. It was slower ram than what I've been using, so I had to slow down
||my computer and change the fsb/mem ratio to 1:1.
||I then ran a few timedemos with 256 and then 512mb of ram. I left all
||settings the same except that I set my AGP aperture to 128 when using 256mb
||of ram and set it to 256 when using 512 (I actually tried several settings,
||but this worked best).
||The bottom line is that the frame rates averaged 66% higher when using 512mb
||of ram.
||A lesson learned for me and my thanks to Pluvious for suggesting it to me.
||Gary

You're welcome. I've just recently went from 512MB SDRAM to 1GB of DDR
400Mhz ram and let me tell you.. it's AMAZING. You can never have too
much ram my friend. Best upgrade you can "feel".

Pluvious

Old February 9th 04, 07:04 PM
GTX_SlotCar

||my hard drive was being accessed in Call of Duty, but later apologized
and
||said that I was mistaken.

Of course, I meant to say that I said my hard drive *wasn't* being accessed
in CoD, and I later discovered it was.

The only mystery now is why you chose the name Pluvious, unless you live in
Seattle :-)

Gary

--
Tweaks & Reviews
www.slottweak.com

Old February 10th 04, 05:59 PM
Pluvious

On Mon, 9 Feb 2004 14:04:00 -0500, "GTX_SlotCar"
wrote:

||and
||Of course, I meant to say that I said my hard drive *wasn't* being accessed
||in CoD, and I later discovered it was.
||The only mystery now is why you chose the name Pluvious, unless you live in
||Seattle :-)
||Gary

heh.. Its from a 3DO game called Space Hulk. I liked how the name was
pronounced in the game.. Obscure but it stuck. I was once a game
tester for them and had to play that game for two days to make sure it
would be compatible in europe machines. I miss that job now..

Pluvious

Old February 10th 04, 09:45 PM
GTX_SlotCar

Ah.
And for those who are curious but dictionary impaired, pluvious means 'hard
rain' or a lot of rain; hence my remark about Seattle.
Tomorrow's 'word for the day' will be appurtenances (it's easier to spell
than peripherals).

Gary

--
Tweaks & Reviews