RAID 0 is usually a foolish choice for desktops

Old July 8th 04, 03:12 AM
Milleron

On Thu, 08 Jul 2004 00:18:10 GMT, "Ron Reaugh"
wrote:

Actually Anand has shown himself not to be completely competent in this
arena and therefore his conclusions are suspect.

That totally unsubstantiated accusation is inadmissible. If you want
to take issue with his organization's findings, then have the
integrity to point out what was wrong with their methodology.

"Milleron" wrote in message
.. .

Let's repeat Mr. Shimpi's quote one more time: "If you haven't
gotten the hint by now, we'll spell it out for you: there is no place,
and no need for a RAID-0 array on a desktop computer. The real world
performance increases are negligible at best and the reduction in
reliability, thanks to a halving of the mean time between failure,
makes RAID-0 far from worth it on the desktop."

Ron
Old July 8th 04, 04:28 AM
Ron Reaugh

"Milleron" wrote in message

Video rendering is done by the CPU, not by the hard drive. The
constraint point in video rendering is the CPU, not the hard drive.

That assertion is not necessarily true.

By the way, if his rendering is for personal use, I'd call that a
desktop rather than a workstation,

That assertion is simply WACKO!

Old July 8th 04, 04:29 AM
Ron Reaugh

wrote:

Actually Anand has shown himself not to be completely competent in this
arena and therefore his conclusions are suspect.

That totally unsubstantiated accusation is inadmissible. If you want
to take issue with his organization's findings, then have the
integrity to point out what was wrong with their methodology.

Anand doesn't know the definition of a stripe. Second Anand made some wild
and unsubstantiated and false claim at the beginning of his article that the
largest stripe size is known to be fastest. That's just plain WRONG!

.. .

Old July 8th 04, 07:56 PM
Courseyauto

I built a PC for my nephew who does video editing and rendering for his
personal use,would you classify his System a desktop or a workstation. Raid O
has helped lower his rendering times considerably.

That's just the point! Based on what ?!? What TESTS did he do to
show that?? If you built the machine for him then you must be
comparing its performance to his former machine. Are you going to try
to tell me that the ONLY difference between the two computers is the
RAID 0?? IF there is an improvement in rendering, then I'll bet my
next paycheck that there was very significant change in the CPU, as
well.

Based on raid O vs NON raid O,there was no previous computer. It takes less
time to do a render on raid O than it does non
raid...............................
Old July 9th 04, 12:13 PM
Courseyauto

Posting below the "--" lines means that many proper news readers will
not include your response - the "--" signify that the text below that
are should not be included in the response.

Now, what I was saying is that since most rendering can't fully fit in
memory, and since a single drive system must read from one track, move
the r/w head, and then write, you loose performance, even fragmentation
hurts your rendering being converted and written to the drive.

If you have two hard drives, one with the OS and source to be rendered,
and one for storing the rendering as it's being converted, you will see
a large increase in performance.

-

Thats why they put extra memory slots on the mother board........

How I built a 2.8TB RAID storage array Yeechang Lee Homebuilt PC's 31 February 22nd 05 06:40 PM
RAID 0 problems no spam Homebuilt PC's 0 April 30th 04 06:18 PM
What are the advantages of RAID setup? Rich General 5 February 23rd 04 08:34 PM
DAW & Windows XP RAID Tips, ProTools error -9086 Giganews Asus Motherboards 0 October 24th 03 06:45 AM
help. ga-7vrxp raid trouble, compatability and warning todd elliott General 0 July 17th 03 06:50 PM