Basic benchmarking

Old September 4th 03, 07:29 PM
Steve

Default Basic benchmarking

Hi,

What benchmarking utilities would give me a good overview of my computers
performance level and alert me to sub-par operation for the given hardware
configuration?

My system is as follows:

Pentium 4 Processor at 2.8GHz with 800MHz front side bus
1 GB DDR 400MHz SDRAM (2 DIMMs)
128MB DDR ATI Radeon 9800 with TV-Out Video Card
16X DVD-ROM
200 GB EIDE Hard Drive (WD2000JB)
48X CD-RW Drive
56Kbps Data/Fax Modem
Sound Blaster Live! Digital Sound Card

Thanks for the help.
Old September 4th 03, 08:37 PM
Alex Fraser

"Steve" wrote in message
What benchmarking utilities would give me a good overview of my computers
performance level and alert me to sub-par operation for the given
hardware configuration?

For CPU and memory, the tests in SiSoft(ware) Sandra
(http://www.sisoftware.net/) are a good guage.

For (3D) graphics... 3DMark (http://www.futuremark.com/) would be good if
the results weren't awash with those of overclockers. It's still the best
benchmark I know of, but you'll have to look carefully or ask for
interpretation of results.

Not a benchmarking utility, but certainly useful for detecting sub-par
hardware operation, specifically cooling arrangements - MBM5
(http://mbm.livewiredev.com/).

Occasionally useful for software-related performance problems, and handy at
other times too, is TaskInfo (http://www.iarsn.com/taskinfo.html).

HTH,
Alex

Old September 5th 03, 12:31 AM
Rob

"Steve" wrote in message
Hi,

What benchmarking utilities would give me a good overview of my computers
performance level and alert me to sub-par operation for the given hardware
configuration?

My system is as follows:

Pentium 4 Processor at 2.8GHz with 800MHz front side bus
1 GB DDR 400MHz SDRAM (2 DIMMs)
128MB DDR ATI Radeon 9800 with TV-Out Video Card
16X DVD-ROM
200 GB EIDE Hard Drive (WD2000JB)
48X CD-RW Drive
56Kbps Data/Fax Modem
Sound Blaster Live! Digital Sound Card

Thanks for the help.

As the other responder said, there's nothing conclusive.
"Sandra" might give the right kind of clues though.
--
Rob

Benchmarking question Naj Overclocking 7 February 15th 04 10:37 AM
Basic benchmarking Steve General 18 September 9th 03 01:04 PM
Basic benchmarking Steve Overclocking 18 September 9th 03 01:04 PM
Basic video Card w/ TV-Out? Willy Radisson General 0 August 25th 03 03:00 PM
Hard Disk Benchmarking Program Marcus Overclocking 5 August 19th 03 03:32 AM