Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3P BIOS beep codes not documented, CPU problems

Old August 2nd 07, 04:04 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
RoundSparrow

Default Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3P BIOS beep codes not documented, CPU problems

Hi,

Got a new GA-P35-DS3P that wouldn't boot. Got 3 beeps, pause, 8
beeps. Would reset then repeat the beep codes.

Replaced power supply, video card, RAM (3 sets), nothing worked.

Ultimately the cause was the CPU. Intel Celeron D 336 that I had put
on to flash the BIOS with before I replaced the Celeron with a
quadcore Core 2 G0 stepping. I had assumed the Celeron was old and
compatible with anything.

The Celeron D 336 works perfectly fine in an older Gigabyte P965-DS3 -
and it is listed on the compatibility for both motherboards.
http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/M...rt_Model.aspx?...

Hopefully this beep code will be of use to someone.

The BIOS beep codes are very poorly documented on the Gigabyte website
and owners manual. It does not even describe such a pattern of beep,
pause, beep and only describes "long and short" beeps (all beeps were
same length).

Anyway, hope this helps someone.

Stephen Gutknecht
Canyon Lake, Texas

Old August 3rd 07, 11:08 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
davy

Is there any help here for you?

Mobo bios beep codes & bios diagnostics 'Bios Central'
(http://www.bioscentral.com/) and
'BIOS Beep Codes' (http://www.amptron.com/html/bios.beepcodes.html) and
another
'PC Hell: BIOS Error Beep Codes'
(http://www.pchell.com/hardware/beepcodes.shtml#phoenix)

The only suggestion I can think think of right now is disconnect
everything except the CPU, RAM and graphic card... you will get POST or
should we say bios boot with just these, also able to get into bios set
up screen too if all was working well... this sure does cut a things
out.

If all was well at this stage you'd get a message something like
"Please insert your operating disc" or "No disc found" but you aren't
even getting to this stage where the bios hands control over to the CPU
and the hard drive load's.

So this leaves the mobo, CPU, RAM, video card and power supply unit.

Davy

Old August 8th 07, 07:28 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
SumGuy[_2_]

"RoundSparrow" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

From the Gigabyte support site.

1.AWARD BIOS
1short beep :System normal
2 short beep :CMOS Error
1 long beep and 1 short beep :Memory error
1 long beep and 2 short beep :Graphic card error
1 long beep and 3 short beep :AGP error
1 long beep and 9 short beep :Memory Error
Continuous long beep :Memory not correctly installed
Continuous short beep :Power supply unit failed

2.AMI BIOS
1 short beep :Memory Error
2 short beep:Memory parity check error.
3 short beep :basic memory 64K address check error
4 short beep :Real Time Clock malfunction . 5 short beep :CPU error
6 short beep :Keyboard error
7 short beep :CPU interruption error
8 short beep:Graphic card error
9 short beep :Memory error
10 short beep :CMOS error
11 short beep :CPU cache memory malfunction

Did you ever consider there were two problems?

It seems pretty easy to me to pick between a long beep and short beep.
What would you describe the start up beep as?

Having said that, I have had moments when there was a peripheral problem and
my mobo, (of whatever flavour), gave no beeps at all.

Old August 10th 07, 07:58 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
RoundSparrow

On Aug 7, 11:28 pm, "SumGuy" wrote:
[...]

From theGigabytesupport site.

[...]

Thank you for your attempt to help.

As posted in the original message, I already fixed the problem. It
was only _one_ problem, CPU compatibility (despite being a listed
compatible CPU, and the CPU was confirmed working in another model
Gigabyte motherbaord).

The beep codes are just not documented, period. They are nothing like
the ones described in the manual, they are much more rich and complex.

Stephen