Logical Drive Type

Old March 27th 07, 08:40 PM posted to comp.arch.storage
Viper

Default Logical Drive Type

Using IBM Storage Manager and viewing our defined mappings i see
almost all of the logical drives are of the type standard. One of
them is called "Access" and has a type of Access.
This was a mapping that was setup previous to my involvment with this
system. It is currently mapped and seemingly being used, but I don't
know what it is used for and why it is needed.
So that is my question, what is a logical drive of type Access and
what is it used for?
I appreciate any insight provided.

Old April 3rd 07, 01:14 PM posted to comp.arch.storage
Viper

Any ideas?

Old May 30th 07, 07:41 PM posted to comp.arch.storage
Alan Miller

On Apr 3, 8:14 am, "Viper" wrote:
Any ideas?

My understanding is that Access is created by default when the thing
is installed and means "All Access" to all drives. It's generally not
used.

Old May 31st 07, 10:34 PM posted to comp.arch.storage
Jono968

On Apr 4, 12:14 am, "Viper" wrote:
Any ideas?

As I understand it the Access LUN is used only by Storage Manager for
in-band management of the DS4000, it is not used and should not be
mapped to any other SAN-conneected host (IBM best practice) - I don't
believe it actually causes any problems but you don't want to leave
yourself exposed if a problem should occur. Unfortunately any new
hosts and host groups get the Access LUN mapped by default and so
needs to be unmapped. It might sound obvious but do NOT delete the
Access LUN.

Old May 31st 07, 11:46 PM posted to comp.arch.storage
Jono968

On Apr 4, 12:14 am, "Viper" wrote:
Any ideas?

As I understand it the Access LUN is used only by Storage Manager for
in-band management of the DS4000, it is not used and should not be
mapped to any other SAN-conneected host (IBM best practice) - I don't
believe it actually causes any problems but you don't want to leave
yourself exposed if a problem should occur. Unfortunately any new
hosts and host groups get the Access LUN mapped by default and so
needs to unmapped. It might sound obvious but do NOT delete the
Access LUN.