Reading disk temperature from SMART info

Old June 3rd 07, 03:19 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.arch.storage
[email protected]

Default Reading disk temperature from SMART info

I recently bought an external WD MyBook 500 GB drive. The enclosed
software (WD diagnostics) enables me to read drive's SMART parameters
(I thought this would only be possible with internal drives) which is
good.
However, I'd like to know how to translate its "Temperature" parameter
into something usable -- i.e. currently it shows "83", while under
"worst" it shows "77". When the disk is turned on, it's usually around
"103". Clearly this number is neither Fahrenheit nor Kelvin -- is
there any way to "translate" this into actual temperature value?
Someone mentioned I should check the raw data of this parameter;
however, the WD diagnostics doesn't show raw data of various SMART
parameters.

Old June 4th 07, 05:40 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.arch.storage
Lynn McGuire

I recently bought an external WD MyBook 500 GB drive. The enclosed
software (WD diagnostics) enables me to read drive's SMART parameters
(I thought this would only be possible with internal drives) which is
good.

Try http://www.hdtune.com/

Lynn

Old June 4th 07, 08:31 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.arch.storage
Folkert Rienstra

"Arno Wagner" wrote in message
In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage wrote:
I recently bought an external WD MyBook 500 GB drive. The enclosed
software (WD diagnostics) enables me to read drive's SMART parameters

(I thought this would only be possible with internal drives)

Because you have been conditioned by the babblebot(s).

It is not possible in a generic way over USB.

Yes, it is.

WD seems to use some vendor-extension.

which is good.

However, I'd like to know how to translate its "Temperature" parameter
into something usable -- i.e. currently it shows "83", while under
"worst" it shows "77". When the disk is turned on, it's usually around
"103".

Clearly this number is neither Fahrenheit nor Kelvin --

Because it is a normalized value: bad is lower.
In this case meaning hotter is lower.

is there any way to "translate" this into actual temperature value?

Maybe. It could make sense if the 0 dC reference was 125.

103 would make 22 dC
83 would make 42 dC
77 would make 48 dC

Someone mentioned I should check the raw data of this parameter;

Right. The actual values.

however, the WD diagnostics doesn't show raw data of various SMART
parameters.

Actually the disk should use C or F as raw data (typically C,
since F is only used in some leftover backwards countries).

Seems to me WD screwed this one up.

Of course they did in your little conspiracy riddled world.

Arno

Old June 6th 07, 09:12 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.arch.storage
[email protected]

Well, I tried HDtune as well as some other utilities (from Everest
on). None of them can show SMART data from this drive, so I guess only
"WD Diagnostics" is able to do this -- obviously it is using some
vendor-extension.

Maybe. It could make sense if the 0 dC reference was 125.
103 would make 22 dC
83 would make 42 dC
77 would make 48 dC

I presume this is only an example? And to get more accurate info I
should probably obtain the "0 dC" reference somewhere (I'm getting the
feeling it's 200, but I may be wrong)?

As for WD support... crappy. :O They seem to not know much about the
stuff they sell.

Old June 6th 07, 10:47 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.arch.storage
Folkert Rienstra

wrote in message ups.com
Well, I tried HDtune as well as some other utilities (from Everest on).
None of them can show SMART data from this drive,

so I guess only "WD Diagnostics" is able to do this

-- obviously it is using some vendor-extension.

Or just using a standard newer extension that no one else yet uses.
AFAICT the others use a standard S.M.A.R.T. extension driver that needs
an injection point in the USB driver (or any driver that services the device).
The WD app may just have it's own extension built in and tap in to the USB
driver directly without needing an entry point.

Maybe. It could make sense if the 0 dC reference was 125.
103 would make 22 dC
83 would make 42 dC
77 would make 48 dC

I presume this is only an example?

No, I secretly borrowed your drive and stuck a temperature probe in there.

And to get more accurate info I should probably obtain the "0 dC" reference somewhere

And hope there is some linear relationship, not some complicated formula.

(I'm getting the feeling it's 200, but I may be wrong)?

If it has a teflon top on it for turbo frying an egg on and
your room temperature is usually 97 dC you might be right.

As for WD support... crappy. :O

They seem to not know much about the stuff they sell.

Or maybe they feel there isn't anything to tell.