help for retriving data that was overwriten by norton ghost image file

Old May 8th 04, 05:07 PM
Mehdi Samadi

Default help for retriving data that was overwriten by norton ghost image file

I fell in hell and lost all my and some other's data by accidentally
restoring image file to wrong drive. I use some data recovery software
but nothing happen.any body know some way for retriving this data,
plz..
Old May 8th 04, 07:36 PM
Arno Wagner

Previously Mehdi Samadi wrote:
I fell in hell and lost all my and some other's data by accidentally
restoring image file to wrong drive. I use some data recovery software
but nothing happen.any body know some way for retriving this data,
plz..

Forget it. It is not clear whether it is possible at all.

If it is possible, it will be very expensive (as in
10.000 Euro/USD and maybe up to several millions or more).

See, e.g., the thread "erasing disk securely" for a recent discussion
related to this.

Arno

Old May 8th 04, 09:59 PM
J. Clarke

Mehdi Samadi wrote:

I fell in hell and lost all my and some other's data by accidentally
restoring image file to wrong drive. I use some data recovery software
but nothing happen.any body know some way for retriving this data,
plz..

If the data was overwritten by the image, then assume it's gone. It's not
recoverable by any means readily available to the average hobbyist.
Someone with a well equipped solid-state physics lab and a lot of time
might be able to get it back, the national security and law enforcement
agencies (CIA, NSA, FBI, etc) might be able to get it back, but it would be
expensive by _their_ standards.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Old May 9th 04, 06:01 PM
someone

Most likely your original data is beyond recovery having been overwrote.
Actionfront.com has published an extensive paper re the current capabilities
of DR on their website.

I am not an employee or representative for Actionfront.

om...

Old May 9th 04, 06:25 PM
Svend Olaf Mikkelsen

On Sun, 9 May 2004 13:01:50 -0400, "someone"
wrote:

Most likely your original data is beyond recovery having been overwrote.
Actionfront.com has published an extensive paper re the current capabilities
of DR on their website.

I am not an employee or representative for Actionfront.

"Mehdi Samadi" wrote in message
. com...
I fell in hell and lost all my and some other's data by accidentally
restoring image file to wrong drive. I use some data recovery software
but nothing happen.any body know some way for retriving this data,
plz..

Please first consider if the data were overwritten or not. And if only
file system structures were overwritten, if the data can still be
there.
--
Svend Olaf
Old May 9th 04, 07:34 PM
someone

wrote:

Most likely your original data is beyond recovery having been overwrote.
Actionfront.com has published an extensive paper re the current

capabilities
of DR on their website.

I am not an employee or representative for Actionfront.

"Mehdi Samadi" wrote in message
. com...
I fell in hell and lost all my and some other's data by accidentally
restoring image file to wrong drive. I use some data recovery software
but nothing happen.any body know some way for retriving this data,
plz..

Please first consider if the data were overwritten or not. And if only
file system structures were overwritten, if the data can still be
there.
--
Svend Olaf

Agreed - never presume an overwrite without an attempt to recover!

Old May 10th 04, 01:53 AM
Peter

How much do you value your lost data?
100$; 10,000$ or 1,000,000$?
In any case, first perform a full sector-by-sector image of your damaged
drive.
(That would be using switch "-IR" in ghost). That way you would be able to
try to recover it later.
How big was the image you have restored? What options did you use?
Anyway, overwriten sectors data is GONE. How many not overwriten sectors are
left and how to retrieve that data (and make some sense out of it) is a big
question. You might need to spend a lot of money to learn even that.
By the fact that you are not going to your backups to restore data I assume
it wasn't worth THAT MUCH.
So it is gone... You can tell everyone that your disk had a head crash...

Old May 10th 04, 04:36 AM
Arno Wagner

Previously someone wrote:
Most likely your original data is beyond recovery having been overwrote.
Actionfront.com has published an extensive paper re the current capabilities
of DR on their website.

Interesting pointer. They state that one full overwrite is
as good as unrecoverable today and the they certainly cannot
do it.

Arno

Old May 10th 04, 10:46 PM
Simon Steggles - personal email address

Send it in to Disklabs and we will take a look at it for free.

I will find out whether or not the data is there.

Your choice.

If you do wish to go ahead with this, please refer this to us and state that
you have contacted Simon

Regards,

Simon

www.disklabs.com