'Burnt out' pins on DDR memory- can it be salvaged?

Old June 25th 03, 05:27 PM
Li'l ol' me

Default 'Burnt out' pins on DDR memory- can it be salvaged?

I've just bought a bundle of new memory with a stick of used Samsung PC2100
(256mb) thrown in there too.

It looked in good nick until I noticed that 2 of the gold pins on one side
had either been blacked out deliberately or had burnt out. I suspect the
latter, as the tiny little gold circles (whatever they are) are also
'burnt'.

I know NOTHING about electrics, but I did vaguely recall reading of
conductive paint or some such. Is this an option or is my chip a lost
cause? I heard that memory often comes with a lifetime warranty, but can
find no memory specific stuff on Samsung's site, and I have no proof of
purchase anyway.

Even if it SEEMED to be working, I'd still give it a good bashing with
Memtest to make sure it REALLY worked.

Old June 25th 03, 06:54 PM
kony

On Wed, 25 Jun 2003 17:27:05 +0100, "Li'l ol' me"
wrote:

I've just bought a bundle of new memory with a stick of used Samsung PC2100
(256mb) thrown in there too.

It looked in good nick until I noticed that 2 of the gold pins on one side
had either been blacked out deliberately or had burnt out. I suspect the
latter, as the tiny little gold circles (whatever they are) are also
'burnt'.

I know NOTHING about electrics, but I did vaguely recall reading of
conductive paint or some such. Is this an option or is my chip a lost
cause? I heard that memory often comes with a lifetime warranty, but can
find no memory specific stuff on Samsung's site, and I have no proof of
purchase anyway.

Even if it SEEMED to be working, I'd still give it a good bashing with
Memtest to make sure it REALLY worked.

I think someone plugged it into the slot backwards, and it's dead,
unlikely to work and not worth trying to salvage.

Dave
Old June 26th 03, 06:47 PM
philo

"Li'l ol' me" wrote in message
I've just bought a bundle of new memory with a stick of used Samsung

PC2100
(256mb) thrown in there too.

It looked in good nick until I noticed that 2 of the gold pins on one side
had either been blacked out deliberately or had burnt out. I suspect the
latter, as the tiny little gold circles (whatever they are) are also
'burnt'.

I know NOTHING about electrics, but I did vaguely recall reading of
conductive paint or some such. Is this an option or is my chip a lost
cause? I heard that memory often comes with a lifetime warranty, but can
find no memory specific stuff on Samsung's site, and I have no proof of
purchase anyway.

Even if it SEEMED to be working, I'd still give it a good bashing with
Memtest to make sure it REALLY worked.

i'd toss it
there's a chance it could take out your motherboard

Old July 3rd 03, 01:54 PM
Li'l ol' me

"Nick" wrote in message
new 256 DDR only costs £35!

ONLY £35! Where do you shop for memory, Harrods? You're not one of those
Corsair snobs are you?

The operative word is 'salvage' as I wanted to use this stick in a machine
I'm building from second-hand or nearly new parts.

--
-----------
Nick

Old July 3rd 03, 02:08 PM
S.Heenan

Li'l ol' me wrote:
The operative word is 'salvage' as I wanted to use this stick in a
machine I'm building from second-hand or nearly new parts.
"Li'l ol' me"
I've just bought a bundle of new memory with a stick of used
Samsung PC2100 (256mb) thrown in there too.

It looked in good nick until I noticed that 2 of the gold pins on
one side had either been blacked out deliberately or had burnt out.
I suspect the latter, as the tiny little gold circles (whatever
they are) are also 'burnt'.

I know NOTHING about electrics, but I did vaguely recall reading of
conductive paint or some such. Is this an option or is my chip a
lost cause? I heard that memory often comes with a lifetime
warranty, but can find no memory specific stuff on Samsung's site,
and I have no proof of purchase anyway.

Even if it SEEMED to be working, I'd still give it a good bashing
with Memtest to make sure it REALLY worked.

The module is finished; dead; kaput. RMA it if you can find a way.
Otherwise, don't try reusing it. It's been shorted at least once already.
--
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite
you. This is the principle difference between a dog and a man. -Samuel