120 gb is the Largest hard drive I can put in my 4550?

Old December 4th 03, 11:40 PM
Cristian Croitoru

"Terry Collins" :

For home and SOHO and SME, IDE is probably quite okay.

But IDE isn't SCSI and without SCSI, you can not do RAID.

It really is a "business risk"
How much do you loose per hour when the computer system goes down?

Why do you say "without SCSI, you can not do RAID"?
We have here 4 separate RAID systems on IDE.. RAID 0, 1, 0/1 and 5
One has 1TB+ volume, six 200GB HDs on a six channel IDE controller

One of the advantages of SCSI against IDE is "command queuing"
This means that if the controller receives a number of commands and it is
more efficient (time wise) to process them in a different order, it will do
that.
Parallel ATA can not do that BUT SATA will!

There is another solution I am looking into now: a self contained RAID 15
hotswap slots IDE enclosure that has a SCSI bridge so you can extend your
server with an external pseudo-SCSI massive store..

So there is scope..

Cristian Croitoru

Old December 4th 03, 11:45 PM
Hunter1

Terry Collins wrote:
But IDE isn't SCSI and without SCSI, you can not do RAID.

Yeah you can, plenty of IDE RAID options available. In fact
motherboards such as the "ASUS P4C800 Gold Deluxe" come with
it built in.
Old December 5th 03, 12:08 AM
David H. Lipman

Cristian:

After you have done your research, I'd be interested in the information.

Dave

Old December 5th 03, 01:26 AM
Cristian Croitoru

have a look at www.promise.com
"David H. Lipman" :
After you have done your research, I'd be interested in the information.

Old December 5th 03, 01:29 AM
David H. Lipman

Ohhhh - I thought you had a quality solution.

I dealt with Promise products when I was a VAR. I steer away from their products now.
Thanx anyway.

Old December 5th 03, 02:58 AM
Gus

Suzeann Loomis wrote:

Help, please.

I have been told that I can only add another 120 gigabyte hard drive
to my Dell 4550. But people at a local computer shop say I can add a
250 gigabyte hard drive.

Funny you should ask - I upgraded my 4550's C: drive to a 200 GB Maxtor
on Tuesday. The HDD is fine, but I had problems trying to Ghost my
Windows installation from an 80 GB HDD to the new one.

Old December 5th 03, 03:01 AM
Rod Speed

David H. Lipman wrote
in message ...

How many RAID 5 systems have you
setup and how often have you used SCSI ?

All completely and utterly irrelevant to that basic value for money
question being discussed with normal desktop systems.

Old December 5th 03, 03:07 AM
Rod Speed

" Miro" wrote in message u...

"Phred" wrote in message
In article ,
"David H. Lipman" wrote:
"Tom Scales" wrote in message
| "David H. Lipman" wrote in message
|
| Go RAID 5 and SCSI and you will not have the artificial barriers
| of IDE hard disk controllers. Plus you a very reliable and very
| fast disk sub-system.
|
| That's ridiculous. A $900 computer and $1500 worth of disk.
| 250GB works fine in a 4550.

Except...

You are not taking into account; the importance of the data, the

reliability
factor and the sheer speed that RAID 5 provides.

I can understand your enthusiasm for a RAID system that provides data
redundancy, but do you need to run a SCSI system to do this?

I have the impression from comments elsewhere in recent times that
modern IDE drives are perfectly adequate and SCSI is quite simply
over-priced, perhaps even over-rated, in comparison these days?

Lots of photographers run 100's of gigs and there
is nothing they can do to keep it smaller. Digital Pro
photography has been one application for RAID systems.

Yes, but thats a separate issue to expensive SCSI RAID5.

Only a very elite number of IDE models have "enterprise" tags

Mindless wanking. And a digital photographer is
nothing like a typical desktop system usage anyway.

- which means they are as close to bullet-proof
as an IDE drive can be in 2003.

Or its just more mindless wanking that
fools like you are stupid enough to buy.

Enterprise drives are nearly the same
cost as decent SCSI drives anyhow.

Yep, there are actually fools as stupid as you around.

It is simply that IDE works on more standard
and less expensive motherboards.

It is simply that anyone with a clue has noticed that IDE is the
only thing that makes any sense on personal desktop system.

SATA is another thing to look at. SATA Raid
is now making a strong appearance.

More wanking on those last two words.

As for the HD being more expensive than PC ......
it used to be the other way around and back then the
machines were nowhere as impressive as they are now.

All completely and utterly irrelevant to how much sense
those numbers make today for personal desktop system.

Old December 5th 03, 03:08 AM
Rod Speed

"Terry Collins" wrote in message ...
Phred wrote:

...snip....

You are not taking into account; the importance of the data, the reliability
factor and the sheer speed that RAID 5 provides.

I can understand your enthusiasm for a RAID system that provides data
redundancy, but do you need to run a SCSI system to do this?

I have the impression from comments elsewhere in recent times that
modern IDE drives are perfectly adequate and SCSI is quite simply
over-priced, perhaps even over-rated, in comparison these days?

For home and SOHO and SME, IDE is probably quite okay.

But IDE isn't SCSI and without SCSI, you can not do RAID.

That last is complete and utter drivel.

It really is a "business risk"
How much do you loose per hour when the computer system goes down?

Not even relevant for most personal desktop systems.