Geforce FX 5200 Vs Geforce4 Ti4200

Old January 13th 04, 08:11 AM
John F

Default Geforce FX 5200 Vs Geforce4 Ti4200

Which is better and why? Geforce FX 5200 Vs Geforce4 Ti4200.

Old January 13th 04, 09:22 AM
Sith Lord

On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 02:11:58 -0500 in
alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia, "John F"
wrote:

Which is better and why? Geforce FX 5200 Vs Geforce4 Ti4200.

Better at what? g

The 4200 is faster, the 5200 does DX9 in h/w.

The 5200 is about as fast as the old MX, to get 4200 performance in
the FX class, go for the 5600.

Old January 13th 04, 01:42 PM
Dark Avenger

"John F" wrote in message ...
Which is better and why? Geforce FX 5200 Vs Geforce4 Ti4200.

Ah comedy, yes I like comedy allot! Really love the bob and tom show.
Also that ex-minister of information of saddam, now that was a great
comedian! I guess that if he asks at the bakery for a bread they laugh
untill lie crawling on the group!

On the serious side, the FX5200 isn't good enough for doorwedge, it's
truly a budget card, think of Unreal Tournament 2003 with 25FPS.. if
you are lucky.

The ti4200 though of an older generation is much faster! Sure it
doesn't do DX9, but since the few games that use DX9 only use it
for... 5% at max you won't notice!

So go for the GF4 ti4200 :-)
Old January 13th 04, 01:52 PM
dino

you need an FX5600 Ultra to beat a Ti4200. I replaced my Ti4200 with an
FX5600-256..major disappointment.Got rid of the FX for an ATI 9600XT..that
was a worthwhile upgrade

Old January 14th 04, 12:10 AM
DaveW

Ti4200 is faster and will give higher frame rates. FX5200 is DX9 capable
and will play newest games, unlike the 4200.

--
DaveW

Old January 14th 04, 02:40 AM
Yeremein

Ti4200 is faster and will give higher frame rates. FX5200 is DX9 capable
and will play newest games, unlike the 4200.

Sorry to nitpick, but do you know of any current or near future game
that absolutely will not run unless you have DX9-class hardware? In
every case I can think of, the game will run on DX8-class (or even
DX7-class) hardware, you'll just miss out on some of the special effects.

Any developer who requires DX9-class hardware automatically throws all
the unwashed masses with GF4 MX and Radeon 9000 cards out of their
market. I'm sure the time will come when you _need_ DX9-class hardware,
but I think that time is still a few years off. In the meantime, a
Ti4200 will perform better than an FX5200 in anything you throw at it,
including most DX9 titles, even though it can't run 3DMark03's nature demo.

Old January 14th 04, 10:25 AM
Darthy

On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 02:11:58 -0500, "John F"
wrote:

Which is better and why? Geforce FX 5200 Vs Geforce4 Ti4200.

http://www6.tomshardware.com/graphic...229/index.html

Read whole article.

Reason: SPEED

but there are very few Ti4200 left... The only ACCEPTABLE replacement
of the TI4200 is the 5600Ultra. About $120... Sometimes its slower,
still.

When 512K of video RAM was a lot!

Death to Palladium & WPA!!
Old January 14th 04, 10:30 AM
Dude

On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 23:10:12 GMT, "DaveW" wrote:

Ti4200 is faster and will give higher frame rates. FX5200 is DX9 capable
and will play newest games, unlike the 4200.

DUDE!! Will you get it through your head!

STOP POSTING BULL****!

Name ONE ****ing NEW GAME that doesn't run on the Ti4200, right here..
right now. Which NEW game on the market DOES NOT work on the Ti4200?!

Wish you would quit ****ing people up with your stupid bull**** posts!

Explain exactly how the **** a fx5200 is going to "play" a NEW game,
such as Half Life2 in 5fps?

GET A ****ING CLUE OR SHUT UP!

Old January 14th 04, 11:10 PM
Captain EO

Dude is right, and the GeForce FX5200 was basically nVidia's way of
discarding the cheap GeForce 4 MX card line, in that because of the poor
performance of GF4 MX cards being based over the ancient GeForce 2 line,
they performed poorly and many people began complaining. So nVidia upgraded
the GF4 MX line to the GF FX 5200 card. So basically the 5200 is the low end
FX card for the average general PC consumer, not ment to be used by a PC
gamer. And if you go to www.nvidia.com and look up the specs of the FX 5200
you would notice that the FX and the GF4 MX cards has mpeg2 hardware
decoding. In fact all the FX cards (5600, 5700, 5900) have hardware decoding
and only the GF4 MX series cards have hardware decoding, and the reason why
for that is, the low end cards like the GF4 MX and FX 5200 were designed in
the mind of the low end consumer. The consumer that might not have that fast
GHz or better PC, 512MB or higher memory. So for a low end PC user playing a
DVD, it might be pretty aggressive and rough on a slower computer. So NVidia
has helped out the low end consumer by including hardware decoding. On
another note the high end GeForce 4 cards (4200, 4400, 4600 both 4x and 8x)
dont have hardware decoding, and that's because of two reasons first of all
nvidia loaded these cards with alot of chips (high speed core cpu, memory)
dediecated for OpenGL and and Direct 3D processing and therefore there
wasn't enough room on the board to fit a hardware decoder, secondly these
cards being a high end card, so most of its consumer market are the PC gamer
that have faster clocked computers (a Ghz or faster) that would have no
problem playing back DVDs on there machine without a hardware decoder, and
Im living proof of that I use to use a AMD K6-2+ 533MHz computer with a
GeForce2 MX 200 card (didn't have hardware decoding) and my PC played my
DVD's sluggestly, I had to go and get a hardware decoder to play the DVDs
smoothly. I would later just go for a GHz cpu, a dualy to be exact and
currently I no longer need a hardware decoder. Now I know I've probably
gotten off topic, but I just wanted you to know that there are some good and
some not good things between the GeForce 4 Ti card vs teh FX cards.

Old January 31st 04, 09:43 AM
Peter Wilkins

On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 17:10:59 -0500, "Captain EO"
wrote :

Dude is right, and the GeForce FX5200 was basically nVidia's way of
discarding the cheap GeForce 4 MX card line, in that because of the poor
performance of GF4 MX cards being based over the ancient GeForce 2 line,
they performed poorly and many people began complaining. So nVidia =

upgraded
the GF4 MX line to the GF FX 5200 card. So basically the 5200 is the low=

end
FX card for the average general PC consumer, not ment to be used by a PC
gamer.=20

Well, You have convinced me. I have a brand new Toshiba Satellite P20
with a 3G P4 and an FX 5200 GO card with 64M, and from a side by side
comparison with my old Dell 733M P3 using a Geforce 256 with only 32M,
the Dell eats the Satellite on speed of video displays, opening and
closing programmes etc.. I'm not a gamer, but I'm still not at all
impressed with the FX 5200!!
--=20
Regards,
Peter Wilkins