ZipZoomFly and DOA Hitachi SATA drives

Old January 26th 05, 10:10 PM
Albert Silverman

Default ZipZoomFly and DOA Hitachi SATA drives

A month ago, I ordered two 250GB SATA drives from ZipZoomFly.com. They
both arrived DOA with scratches around the case screws. One was dented
on the lid. I reported all this in my RMA request. After some delay, I
was granted a RMA number, and sent them back. That was over two weeks
ago.

They've had them for a week, and the only communication I've received
from them stated that the dented one was damaged by me, and would not
necessarily be covered by warranty. If Hitachi replaced it, I'd be in
the clear, but ZipZoomFly would not issue a replacement if Hitachi
considered the warranty voided.

Their communication was quite poor (and their customer service gives
the impression of being a shoestring operation.) They have not
confirmed that either is defective.

ZipZoomFly's packaging in shipping was more than adequate (and their
shipping fast). The drives were sealed when I got them. So one would
have to guess that they were damaged before shipment. But ZipZoomFly's
"customer service" approach has put me in a situation where I have no
evidence. As far as they are concerned I damaged the drive.

It frankly seems reasonable that they would wonder if I damaged the one
drive. They ship out new drives and if it comes back looking like
someone dropped it, well, the customer could have done it, right?

Except in this case there are three other customers who posted to
www.resellerratings.com who had the exact same problem, who placed
their initial order around the time I did mine. We're taliing the
exact same drives- the Hitachi one I mentioned above- and in each case
the drives were dented and DOA. One person said the drive looked like
it had been shot with a BB gun. another sent two back, ordered
replacements, and the replacements were similarly damaged.

In every case, ZipZoomFly is asserting that the buyers of these drives
damaged them.

I can only guess that if there are four cases like this at one review
site from such a short period as this, there must be others, and
ZipZoomFly must know that they shipped a large batch of bad drives to
customers.

At this point, I am looking for any similar, essentially identical
testimonies from other ZipZoomFly customers. While I feel there's
something seriously fradulent about all this, I really would be happy
to just get a full refund, and I'd like as much help as I can in
backing up my position with my credit card company.

Oh, and perhaps I should also add that I've done business with them
before. If they get it right the first time, they are an excellent
value. But clearly, I've ordered from low-cost online retailers one
time too many.

Please contact me at

Old January 26th 05, 10:33 PM
John Doe

"Albert Silverman" wrote:

A month ago, I ordered two 250GB SATA drives from ZipZoomFly.com.
They both arrived DOA with scratches around the case screws. One
was dented on the lid. I reported all this in my RMA request. After
some delay, I was granted a RMA number, and sent them back. That
was over two weeks ago.
They've had them for a week, and the only communication I've
received from them stated that the dented one was damaged by me,
and would not necessarily be covered by warranty. If Hitachi
replaced it, I'd be in the clear, but ZipZoomFly would not issue a
replacement if Hitachi considered the warranty voided.
Their communication was quite poor (and their customer service
gives the impression of being a shoestring operation.)

Probably an office/room with some computers in it.

They have not confirmed that either is defective.
ZipZoomFly's packaging in shipping was more than adequate (and
their shipping fast).

Second day air.

The drives were sealed when I got them.

What do mean by sealed? Do mean factory sealed? Was there damage to
the outside of the package?

So one would have to guess that they were damaged before shipment.
But ZipZoomFly's "customer service" approach has put me in a
situation where I have no evidence.

You mean asking you to return the drives? How could the approach
have been better?

[...]

Only the shadow knows.

At this point, I am looking for any similar, essentially identical
testimonies from other ZipZoomFly customers.

That's why I included the storage group.

While I feel there's
something seriously fradulent about all this, I really would be
happy to just get a full refund, and I'd like as much help as I can
in backing up my position with my credit card company.

I think you are covering the bases.

Oh, and perhaps I should also add that I've done business with them
before. If they get it right the first time, they are an excellent
value.

I noticed that with IBM hard disk drives, their prices are very low.

But clearly, I've ordered from low-cost online retailers one
time too many.
Please contact me at

Good luck.

--
I included the storage group since the original author is talking
about a serious issue with hard disk drives from a common online
Old January 26th 05, 10:39 PM
Larc

On 26 Jan 2005 13:10:43 -0800, "Albert Silverman"
wrote:

[snip]

| Oh, and perhaps I should also add that I've done business with them
| before. If they get it right the first time, they are an excellent
| value. But clearly, I've ordered from low-cost online retailers one
| time too many.

If you want service as good in dealing with problems as in filling
orders, buy from Newegg next time!

Larc

Old January 27th 05, 12:49 AM
stealth

"Larc" wrote in message
On 26 Jan 2005 13:10:43 -0800, "Albert Silverman"
wrote:

[snip]

| Oh, and perhaps I should also add that I've done business with them
| before. If they get it right the first time, they are an excellent
| value. But clearly, I've ordered from low-cost online retailers one
| time too many.

If you want service as good in dealing with problems as in filling
orders, buy from Newegg next time!

Ditto!

Old January 27th 05, 01:11 AM
Albert Silverman

Thanks for putting this in the storage discussion.

The hard drives were sealed in a plastic electrostatic bag. I assumed
that these were manufacturer- provided. Maybe I'm wrong. The bags did
not appear damaged in any way. (Mind you, only one of the HD's was
dented. But both looked like they were refurbs, with a newer label
slapped on top of an old one, and scratch marks all around the corner
screws.)

When I said that " ZipZoomFly's 'customer service' approach has put me
in a situation where I have no evidence. " I meant that their telling
me I was at fault left me with nothing to show. I can't prove I didn't
do it. There's nothing I can offer except the truth.

Thanks for the followups. If I get my refund, I'll be looking at
newegg more- I believe I bought my camera from them.

AS

Old January 29th 05, 02:33 AM
Albert Silverman

How's this for nightmare service?

Call ZipZoomFly's "Customer Service" people on the phone, and they'll
tell they can't do anything, that you'll have to talk to the Returns
department. And this is the quality of interaction you can expect from
Returns. FYI, the fellow below who appears artful at the cryptic
non-reply is in charge of the Returns department.

All the below makes more sense if read in reverse.

Dear Sir,

As listed below will return to manufacturer to try get replacement for
you. As you claim product receive was dented.

Regards,
Andy
RMA Dept.

At 07:51 PM 1/26/2005, you wrote:

Andy,

Quite a few of your customers who have bought Hitachi drives from you
this month have had the same problem I have. We get dented, defective
equipment and after we return it, you blame us for it.

I shouldn't have to defend my handling of the equipment you sent; you
are in a position to know that you're selling a really bad batch of
Hitachi stock. Pointing the finger at the buyers of those discs is
dishonest.

For myself, a full refund for my full order is the only solution. I
am not interested in the possibility of getting more defective
equipment.

A quick refund would satisfy me and end my research into your other
dissatisfied customers.

Thank you,
Michael Weston

Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 11:10:44 -0800
From: Andy Huynh

Dear Sir,

We will return the 1 damage unit to manufacturer to try to get
replacement to process refund
for you. They will inspect the part that you claim receive damage
as the product was ship
out manufacturer seal brand new per manufacturer not possible to be
ship out this way. As
for the other 1 unit no damage will process refund for you first.
Regards,
Andy
RMA Dept.

Old January 29th 05, 02:56 AM
John Doe

(I changed the subject line back, otherwise Google puts the thread
in separate places.)

"Albert Silverman" wrote:

I shouldn't have to defend my handling of the equipment you sent;
you are in a position to know that you're selling a really bad
batch of Hitachi stock.

If the hard disk drives were in a factory sealed package and there
was no damage to the package as you said, ZipZoomFly might not have
known.

Old January 29th 05, 05:58 AM
J. Clarke

"Albert Silverman" wrote:

I shouldn't have to defend my handling of the equipment you sent;
you are in a position to know that you're selling a really bad
batch of Hitachi stock.

If the hard disk drives were in a factory sealed package and there
was no damage to the package as you said, ZipZoomFly might not have
known.

Zipzoomfly likely never had the drives in their possession--the normal
operating procedure for an online business is to pass the order through to
a wholesale distributer who ships directly from the wholesaler's warehouse.

Pointing the finger at the buyers of those discs is
dishonest.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Old January 29th 05, 06:54 AM
John Doe

"J. Clarke" wrote:
John Doe wrote:

If the hard disk drives were in a factory sealed package and
there was no damage to the package as you said, ZipZoomFly might
not have known.

Zipzoomfly likely never had the drives in their possession--the
normal operating procedure for an online business is to pass the
order through to a wholesale distributer who ships directly from
the wholesaler's warehouse.

Right.

I think some online outlets ship from the same warehouses.

Sometimes you can find real-time stock status which shows stock in
warehouses in various states.

One might also notice when orders ship from different states.

Old January 29th 05, 03:50 PM
jimbo

I have bought many items from ZipZoomFly without any problems. And if
you check the merchant rating at some place like PriceGrabber, you will
find the highest customer rating of 5 stars. I have seen a few threads
such as this before and I have to wonder about a deliberate attempt to
besmirch ZipZoomFly's reputation.

jimbo