Athlon64??

Old July 3rd 03, 12:17 PM
Majestic

Default Athlon64??

Coming soon is the new Athlon 64
I have a few questions about it.

I am thinking of upgrading my system can converting everything into a 64bit system

Hardware wise...
Besides upgrading my motherboard and buying a new athlon64
do we need to buy new graphics card? sound card? or harddisk? Ram?

or we just need a driver updater for 64bit system?
do we need to find hardware which are compatible with 64bit system?

Software wise...
Maybe i can get a copy of window xp 64...
what will happen to my data now if i migrate to a 64bit system?
will moives, mp3, document be affected?

athlon 64 can also be use in a 32bit enviroment
so what happen if i am using a 32bit software in windowxp 64?
can it work? or i have to stick to everything 64bit for window xp 64

Last question...can a 2.0ghz athlon 64 be faster than a athlonxp 2400?
Quite interesting to see that AMD has nothing close to a 3.0Ghz processor.
Old July 3rd 03, 12:27 PM
Strontium

-
Majestic stood up, at show-n-tell, and said:

[...]

What amazes me is that people seem to think that 64bit technology is Mecca.
It's been around, for a while, already. It's main usage being unix servers.
Why the general consumer would need it, baffles me. Yet another marketing
ploy, by the manufacturers. I doubt, very seriously, that you will have any
applications that will even use 64bit...regardless of whether the OS can
utilize it.

--
Strontium

"I thought I'd lost you, somewhere. But you were, never, really ever
there
at all.. And, I want to get free..."

Old July 3rd 03, 08:40 PM
JK

Strontium wrote:

-
[...]

It has been around in very high priced servers. Now for the first time
it will be available in affordable desktop PCs.

It's main usage being unix servers.
Why the general consumer would need it, baffles me.

Why do we need 32 bit processors? Why not use 16 bit processors instead?
Did you enjoy using 16 bit processors? :-)

Yet another marketing
ploy, by the manufacturers.

LOL!

I doubt, very seriously, that you will have any
applications that will even use 64bit..

LOL! Did you say that you doubted 32 bit applications would appear
when many were still using 16 bit processors?

Old July 3rd 03, 10:34 PM
Stacey

JK wrote:

Strontium wrote:

What amazes me is that people seem to think that 64bit technology is
Mecca. It's been around, for a while, already.

It has been around in very high priced servers. Now for the first time
it will be available in affordable desktop PCs.

With no usable software on the horizon..

It's main usage being unix servers.
Why the general consumer would need it, baffles me.

Why do we need 32 bit processors? Why not use 16 bit processors instead?

Because all apps now are 32 bit. It took years for apps to migrate from 16
to 32 bit.

I doubt, very seriously, that you will have any
applications that will even use 64bit..

LOL! Did you say that you doubted 32 bit applications would appear
when many were still using 16 bit processors?

But why pay a SUPER premium for a platform that has no software yet? I'd
give it a year or so and see where things are at and the prices to come
down.
--

Stacey
Old July 3rd 03, 10:36 PM
Strontium

-
JK stood up, at show-n-tell, and said:

Strontium wrote:

-
[...]

Nope, win95 sucked my ass. However, I was mainly using MAC's back in the
day, if you must know.

Yet another marketing
ploy, by the manufacturers.

LOL!

I doubt, very seriously, that you will have any
applications that will even use 64bit..

LOL! Did you say that you doubted 32 bit applications would appear
when many were still using 16 bit processors?

So, let me get this straight... You feel the the OP can benefit from
64bit technology, not knowing what ehey are even intending to do with it?
More precisely, when can you justify paying for 'server grade' hardware?
Are YOU running a server? Is OP running a server? If not, this whole
discussion about 64bit technology, is useless. It benefits noone but the
people that are logging onto THOSE servers. Case (no pun) and point..It's
really irrelevent for us small gamers/users. If you're planning on
running a big ass server, let me know. Otherwise, 64bit ain't gonna be
such a goldmine, for you.

Old July 3rd 03, 10:45 PM
Ed Light

Athlon 64 is a desktop cpu. Opteron is the server cpu.

Opterons beat Tbreds of the same mhz.

So, we can guess that Athlon 64's will do the same.

Opteron motherboards are kind of expensive.

Athlon 64 motherboards will replace the 32 bit motherboards of today, so
should be affordable after a short period.

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

-

-

Old July 3rd 03, 11:13 PM
Strontium

Read some more, Ed. You will realize just how far off that fantasy is...
Unless you have 5 grand to drop on a board and memory/processor. Then, be
my guest mr. money man And, then, you will have a 5 thousand dollar
box that does EXACTLY the same as MY box. Yet it 'supports' 64bit
technology. Don't hold your breath for 64bit winblows apps..... You'll
choke.

-

-

-

Old July 4th 03, 02:31 AM
Ed Light

"Strontium" wrote
64bit technology is
not NEW. It's been running our servers, for quite a while. I think OP2,
does not realize that.

You, from out there in the big big world!

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Old July 4th 03, 02:32 AM
Ed Light

"Strontium" wrote in message
Read some more, Ed. You will realize just how far off that fantasy is...
Unless you have 5 grand to drop on a board and memory/processor. Then, be
my guest mr. money man And, then, you will have a 5 thousand dollar
box that does EXACTLY the same as MY box. Yet it 'supports' 64bit
technology. Don't hold your breath for 64bit winblows apps..... You'll
choke.

Oh, you homebuilt a mac for the pc group. Nice going.

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Old July 4th 03, 02:49 AM
Ed Light

The Barton has come out in it's last and fastest, so if you want to go
faster you'll need the 64. Maybe the first one will be $450. But in a year
and a half it will be perhaps $65 (at newegg). The XP 3000+ has already
fallen from $450 to $250, and the 2600 is only $95; the 2000 is $65.

Motherboards won't be comparable to dual-opteron server units. Perhaps the
first ones will be $150, but soon the $60 ones will turn up -- at least by
when the second chipsets come out and make the first ones older. Rather like
The nforce2 does to the KT400.

Otherwise, how could they sell a bunch of them for desktops?

The XP Athlon in the 2nd half of '04 is listed in the roadmap as "as market
requires." So, if the 64 replaces it, then it will have to sell at
competetive prices. Perhaps not in its very first months when enthusiasts
want to grab them.

This has been the irrefutable wisdom of the great binary coded sage.
--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\