Can't fax with HP all in one printer

Old July 13th 07, 12:52 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
t8769

Default Can't fax with HP all in one printer

Just got a new HP All-In-One printer.. can't say its easy to use. Much
prefer the old models.

I've tried to fax, but every time I do, it scans, then just comes up
with this error message.

'The fax could not be sent The fax will be moved to the fax log where
ou can resend it'

Can anyone help with this, I've tested the fax function on the machine
and line, they're fine.

Also.. where is this Fax Log, I can't find it..

Thanks!

Old July 13th 07, 03:12 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Kevin

"t8769" wrote in message
ps.com...
Just got a new HP All-In-One printer.. can't say its easy to use. Much
prefer the old models.

I've tried to fax, but every time I do, it scans, then just comes up
with this error message.

'The fax could not be sent The fax will be moved to the fax log where
ou can resend it'

Can anyone help with this, I've tested the fax function on the machine
and line, they're fine.

Is the phone line actually plugged into the machine? Do you get a dial tone
on this line? Is the number you are faxing out to a good number? Have you
followed the setup instructions to the letter?

Also.. where is this Fax Log, I can't find it..

It's in the HP Director applet. The HP Director should pop up when you
choose the "Send A Fax" option.

Thanks!

Old July 13th 07, 09:17 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
t8769

Hi

Yes the lin'es plugged in, the no's good, I've tried a few.

When I tested the machine using the HP software, it connected to the
line - I could hear the dial tone - and all tested fine. 5610.

Thanks

Old July 13th 07, 09:18 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
t8769

When I click on Fax Log, nothing happens, even though there should be
a couple of scans in there..

I'm using XP

thanks

Old July 13th 07, 11:16 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Tony Hwang

t8769 wrote:

Hi

Yes the lin'es plugged in, the no's good, I've tried a few.

When I tested the machine using the HP software, it connected to the
line - I could hear the dial tone - and all tested fine. 5610.

Thanks

Hi,
If it is connected you'll hear beeping tone not dial tone.
Tried to receive? Dial in and see if fax reponds.
Old April 29th 08, 09:04 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
windsurferVP

I have an hp L7650. At one time, this machine did fax from the solution
center, but it doesn't now. The machine does scan the document, but does
nothing later, only displaying on the computer monitor: "The fax could
not be sent", and asking that the user refer to the log to send at a
later time.

As with the other users, now the fax log is not available from the
Solution Center (if you click on the menu item, the disk is obviously
cranking, but nothing happens). The fax log was once present.

I only use the fax occasionally for urgent authorizations to my
financial advisor, so a number of things I know of have happened
including XP updates, new firewalls (which aren't showing any alarms or
blocked programs).

The fax self test shows that the unit does work, and when the test
runs, I can hear the dial tone. However, when I try to fax from the
solution center, I don't hear the dial tone. I suspect, but don't know,
that the fax operation never got so far as trying to dial.

Have not tried to reinstall, based on comments from previous that that
doesn't work.

Scanning and printing functions seem to work fine.

Old May 2nd 08, 07:37 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
windsurferVP[_2_]

I'll spare you all the details that lead me to this solution, but the
solution worked for me, and solved 2 problems :

1.the inability to fax from the 'solution center', and

2. an error message that popped up when I just tried to print and
accessed the print properties menu --which said 'function 0x*********
failed from a protection error 0x0000005

After much thrashing, here is the solution to the problem. Somehow the
printer drivers lost coordination with the corresponding Windows
supporting programs. You would think that reinstalling the printer
drivers would fix the problem, AND IT DOES, but there are 3 tricks:

• Uninstall everything associated with this printer with the install
disk in the computer (this may really not be necessary, but it worked
for me). [This is also the solution when the a window comes up asking
for TrayApp to be inserted using a disk—they mean the hp install disk].

• After the un-install, MAKE SURE you ALSO delete the printer using the
control panel. This is critical. If this doesn’t happen, the
corresponding Windows software is somehow hooked to the wrong thing when
the reinstall happens. Then reboot the system.

• Install the new drivers with the printer off, and the USB
disconnected from the printer. Reboot the system [not sure the reboot
is necessary]. After the computer has booted, connect the USB, and
power up the printer. The computer will recognize the printer and put
the printer icon in the Control Panel.

It turns out that correcting the driver mis-coordination by BOTH
uninstalling the printer drivers and taking the printer out of the
control panel, then properly reinstalling solves BOTH the fax problem,
and the protection fault problem! Amazing such a little thing can make
such a difference!