CPU burnt or alive ?

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old July 7th 03, 11:31 PM
rim

Default CPU burnt or alive ?

Hi,

Today, when I switched on my computer, it did an explosion noise and let
out a (charming) little blue cloud from the PSU. With the corresponding
acrid smell.

Clearly, a capacitor had exploded inside the PSU. (I opened it to confirm
it. It *was* a small capacitor, but now it was all over the place...).

I swapped the PSU for another one, which is known to work properly.

The trouble is, that when I switch the computer on, the keyboard will
briefly flash its 3 leds once (as usual), the CPU fan start up, but the disk
LED will stay dimly alight. No beep, no image on the screen.
I tried to remove every card, disconnect all the drives. With the same
result. I even tried to switch to an old PCI low-end video card.

The best part is that if I hold the power button for a few second (3 or 4),
the computer will power down.

I wonder what it really means :
a) the motherboard has suffer from a voltage spike and is utterly fried;
b) the CPU was the victim for the surge.

Any insight/first hand experience will be appreciate !

--Richard.

PS : Any recipe to get rid of the acrid smell ???
:-))