Codec Needed?

Old January 18th 04, 07:25 AM
Copwriter

Default Codec Needed?

I have a series of MPEG clips I created in Adobe Premiere after capturing
the video output from a VHS recorder through a Matrox RTx10 card. At one
point, I could play the clips in Windows Media Player on both my laptop and
the dekstop where the clips were created. Now the clips will not play on
the desktop machine. I checked and I have the same version of Windows Media
Player on both machines. I am guessing that I lack a codec for the desktop
machine. Is this likely the problem? If so, how do I check and see which
codecs I have installed? If this is not the most likely problem, does
anyone have an idea what the problem might be?

Old January 18th 04, 07:29 AM
Rick

"Copwriter" wrote in message ...
I have a series of MPEG clips I created in Adobe Premiere after capturing
the video output from a VHS recorder through a Matrox RTx10 card. At one
point, I could play the clips in Windows Media Player on both my laptop and
the dekstop where the clips were created. Now the clips will not play on
the desktop machine. I checked and I have the same version of Windows Media
Player on both machines. I am guessing that I lack a codec for the desktop
machine. Is this likely the problem? If so, how do I check and see which
codecs I have installed? If this is not the most likely problem, does
anyone have an idea what the problem might be?

If you don't get an answer in this group, try posting the question
over in rec.video.desktop.

Rick

Old January 18th 04, 07:34 AM
Copwriter

Thanks. I am going out of town for a few days and may not be able to check
back for a while, so I think I'll post it now and risk the ire of the
crossposting police.

Old January 18th 04, 07:48 AM
Rick

Try a utility called GSPOT (search Google). Hopefully it will
tell you which codec was used to create the MPEG clips.

Rick

Old January 20th 04, 11:38 AM
Zaphod Beeblebrox

Yes. I was going to suggest GSPOT also.
Also do a search for TSUNAMI CODECS on google.
They are almost all the codecs you need for any vid file.