Dell Optiplex upgrade path

Old January 24th 04, 01:12 PM
Pierre B.

Default Dell Optiplex upgrade path

I've got this PC that someone gave me - without any manufacturer
documentation whatsoever - that I started using as a server in my home
network. It worked fine for awhile, but nowadays, I am cruelly short of
memory on it (installed Oracle...). It's actually got 192Mb RAM, and I need
to upgrage it to 512.

The problem is that I don't know if it's upgradable 'cause I have no
documentation. I've been looking around on the Web to find answers, but
haven't found anything satisfactory. So I'm turning to Usenet.

All I know about the PC is what's writen on the box (a desktop casing) and
what the BIOS tells me.
The box says: Dell Optiplex Gn
The BIOS says: Dell Optiplex G1 600L

If I look under the hood, I see 2 memory banks. One's actually got a 128Mb
PC-133 84pin memory stick. The other has a (presumably) 64Mb 84pin memory
stick

Do you recognize this PC? Can you tell me it's memory capacity and type of
RAM. Do you know where I can look for these answers?

Thanks,

-- Pierre

Old January 24th 04, 01:35 PM
Pierre B.

I'm sorry, the memory sticks are actually 168 pins, not 84.

--
_____________________
Pierre Bergeron
news

Old January 24th 04, 02:56 PM
Gary

If you go to the Dell website and look that model up, it should tell
you what it capabilities are. There is no other identification on the
box? The Optiplex line is a high end line.

Good luck

Old January 24th 04, 03:57 PM
Pierre B.

OK, I went to Dell.com and found some information, but I'm not sure of how
to interpret it.
The documentation I found for G1 systems, states that the the boards accepts
pentium II's (up to 450MHz) and a max of 256 Mb RAM (2 x 128 Mb SDRAM
DIMM's).

So maybe, these are the real max configuration, or are they?

The system I have has a pentium III 600MHz installed, and it works. That is
beyond the limitation stated in the doc. Could it be the same case with
memory, i.e. the document would state a maximum of 2 x 128Mb DIMM's only
because 128 Mb DIMMs were the biggest DIMM's of the moment? Or is the 256 Mb
maximum related to another piece of the PC architecture? I note that the CPU
has this marking: "600/256/100/1.7 V", does that mean that this 600 MHz CPU
only accepts 256 Mb RAM at 100 MHz?

-- Pierre

Old January 24th 04, 04:23 PM
Mike Walsh

"Pierre B." wrote:

OK, I went to Dell.com and found some information, but I'm not sure of how
to interpret it.
The documentation I found for G1 systems, states that the the boards accepts
pentium II's (up to 450MHz) and a max of 256 Mb RAM (2 x 128 Mb SDRAM
DIMM's).

So maybe, these are the real max configuration, or are they?

450 Mhz is probably the fastest processor that Dell sold, and is not a limitation of the motherboard architecture.

The system I have has a pentium III 600MHz installed, and it works. That is
beyond the limitation stated in the doc. Could it be the same case with
memory, i.e. the document would state a maximum of 2 x 128Mb DIMM's only
because 128 Mb DIMMs were the biggest DIMM's of the moment? Or is the 256 Mb
maximum related to another piece of the PC architecture?

The DIMM size is limited by how much the motherboard can address. Motherboards are usually designed to accept DIMMs at lest one size larger than what is available at the time of manufacture. It is possible, but not likely, that your motherboard will recognize a 256 MB DIMM.

I note that the CPU
has this marking: "600/256/100/1.7 V", does that mean that this 600 MHz CPU
only accepts 256 Mb RAM at 100 MHz?

600 Mhz , 256 KB L2 cache, 100 Mhz system bus

--
Mike Walsh
West Palm Beach, Florida, U.S.A.
Old January 24th 04, 05:20 PM
Gary

Your correct with everyting you said, so I'm wondering if someone
swapped the mobo from a newer system and put it in an older box?

On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 10:57:04 -0500, "Pierre B."
wrote:

[...]

.. .

Old January 24th 04, 06:08 PM
Pen

The chipset will support low density 256Mb Dimms.
However, you should go to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell and ask
there for advice as to whether the mobo will work.
Many older Dells with that chipset seem to be able to
support 512Mb.

Old January 24th 04, 06:37 PM
kony

On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 17:20:59 GMT, Gary
wrote:

Your correct with everyting you said, so I'm wondering if someone
swapped the mobo from a newer system and put it in an older box?

Because it has a PIII-600 in it? It was a fairly common upgrade to BX
chipset based systems, putting a Coppermine CPU in it.
Old January 24th 04, 08:33 PM
Pierre B.

I took my PC (and my chances) to my local shop to do a little testing. Turns
out that the board accepted a 256 Mb double sided SDRAM. Put the 128 Mb
stick back in and now the system sees 384 Mb. So the system could
effectively handle more than the 256 maximum I saw in the Dell docs.

So much for that.

By the way, we also tried a (SD-DDR) hybrid 256Mb stick, and the system
wouldn't recognize that one.

Thanks everyone for your input into this.

-- Pierre

Old January 24th 04, 11:26 PM
~misfit~

Mike Walsh wrote:
"Pierre B." wrote:
I note that the CPU
has this marking: "600/256/100/1.7 V", does that mean that this 600
MHz CPU only accepts 256 Mb RAM at 100 MHz?

600 Mhz , 256 KB L2 cache, 100 Mhz system bus

Coppermine core.
--
~misfit~