what's this noise if not the cpu fan?

Old September 5th 10, 06:26 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
GMAN[_13_]

Default what's this noise if not the cpu fan?

In article , RayLopez99 wrote:
On Sep 4, 1:11=A0pm, poachedeggs wrote:
oblem for a day,

What is this "oil" you speak of?

If you say something like WD40, then that's your problem.

No it was 3-in-1.

TROLL!

You're pulling our leg. If you think 3-in-1 can be used on a CPU
fan. I looked at one recently carefully, and with the 'brushless'
design I don't see where you can insert any lubricant of any kind
without shorting out the same. BTW, to those regulars reading these
threads, I did get a new heat sink and fan and replaced the old one,
and everything seems kosher now, with temperatures a lot lower on my
Pentium IV. I will post a link to what I found helpful in another
thread.

RL

On the top or sometimes bottom of the fan, there is a smal circular peice of
tape or sometimes a rubber stopper that when removed exposes the clip that
holds the fan in place to the fan motor. A single drop of 3 in 1 or sewing
machine oil works wonders to extend the life and to quiet a fan.

Old September 5th 10, 06:29 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
GMAN[_13_]

In article , poachedeggs wrote:
On Sep 4, 10:05=A0pm, RayLopez99 wrote:
On Sep 4, 1:11=A0pm, poachedeggs wrote:
=A0oblem for a day,

What is this "oil" you speak of?

If you say something like WD40, then that's your problem.

No it was 3-in-1.

TROLL!

You're pulling our leg. =A0If you think 3-in-1 can be used on a CPU
fan. =A0I looked at one recently carefully, and with the 'brushless'
design I don't see where you can insert any lubricant of any kind
without shorting out the same. =A0BTW, to those regulars reading these
threads, I did get a new heat sink and fan and replaced the old one,
and everything seems kosher now, with temperatures a lot lower on my
Pentium IV. I will post a link to what I found helpful in another
thread.

RL

No, I think I must just have read out of date websites/forum posts, as
I was following apparent advice. I was sort of relieved when the AMD
man said the fan did not need oiling, and had been baffled about where
to put the oil myself. Troll-spotting is as pointless and daft as
trainspotting, I think I and 99% of people who've been called one have
got better things to do than tap nonsense online.

http://www.zdnet.co.
uk/news/processors/2003/06/03/fix-noisy-computer-fans-with-a-drop-of-oil-21355
14/3/

http://www.techrepublic.com/images/c...603shu01_D.jpg

http://www.techrepublic.com/images/c...603shu01_E.jpg

Old September 5th 10, 06:29 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
GMAN[_13_]

In article , RayLopez99 wrote:
On Sep 4, 1:11=A0pm, poachedeggs wrote:
oblem for a day,

What is this "oil" you speak of?

If you say something like WD40, then that's your problem.

No it was 3-in-1.

TROLL!

You're pulling our leg. If you think 3-in-1 can be used on a CPU
fan. I looked at one recently carefully, and with the 'brushless'
design I don't see where you can insert any lubricant of any kind
without shorting out the same. BTW, to those regulars reading these
threads, I did get a new heat sink and fan and replaced the old one,
and everything seems kosher now, with temperatures a lot lower on my
Pentium IV. I will post a link to what I found helpful in another
thread.

RL

TROLL my ass. LOL!

http://www.zdnet.co.
uk/news/processors/2003/06/03/fix-noisy-computer-fans-with-a-drop-of-oil-21355
14/3/

http://www.techrepublic.com/images/c...603shu01_D.jpg

http://www.techrepublic.com/images/c...603shu01_E.jpg

terrible CPU or CPU fan noise on some startups - BIOS alteration? poachedeggs AMD x86-64 Processors 8 February 26th 10 06:04 PM
terrible CPU or CPU fan noise on some startups - BIOS alteration? poachedeggs Homebuilt PC's 14 February 26th 10 11:49 AM
cpu fan noise cupcake General 2 July 9th 04 05:16 AM
CPU Fan Noise Scott Gateway Computers 3 May 19th 04 09:17 PM
CPU fan noise! help! mioi General Hardware 4 January 25th 04 05:17 PM