DP35DP: fan header question

Old May 4th 08, 08:34 PM posted to comp.sys.intel
Ken[_8_]

Default DP35DP: fan header question

I have a DP35DP board in an Antec P182 case. There are two 120 MM fans
in the back and top of the case, each with a male/female Molex 4-wire
connector.

Using an adapter
(http://www.cyberguys.com/templates/S...productID=3317) can
I connect these either: 1, to the front and back 3-pin fan headers
individually, or 2, together on one fan header? ( fan Molex
connector----fan Molex connector---adapter---fan header )

I have tried connecting one fan already, but it did not begin spinning.
I am not sure if the fan header is thermostatically controlled--does
anyone know? How do I test it other than to allow the environment to
heat up?

Thanks, KK
Old May 5th 08, 09:06 PM posted to comp.sys.intel
Bob Bailin

"Ken" wrote in message ...
I have a DP35DP board in an Antec P182 case. There are two 120 MM fans in the back and
top of the case, each with a male/female Molex 4-wire connector.

Using an adapter (http://www.cyberguys.com/templates/S...productID=3317)
can I connect these either: 1, to the front and back 3-pin fan headers individually, or
2, together on one fan header? ( fan Molex connector----fan Molex
connector---adapter---fan header )

I have tried connecting one fan already, but it did not begin spinning. I am not sure if
the fan header is thermostatically controlled--does anyone know? How do I test it other
than to allow the environment to heat up?

Thanks, KK

I don't think you're allowed to use an old-style fan with a 4-pin Molex
connector on the 3-pin motherboard fan ports because these old-style
fans have only 2 wires for power and ground. The 3-wire fan ports
expect power, ground and fan speed (tach).

You can try going into the BIOS and changing the cooling method to
the most aggressive, but I don't think you'll get them to work, and they
definitely won't work at other than full-speed or no-speed.

120mm fans with the proper 3-pin connector and tach are commonly
available, even directly from Antec.

Bob

Old May 5th 08, 11:21 PM posted to comp.sys.intel
Ken[_8_]

Bob Bailin said the following on 5/5/2008 1:06 PM:
"Ken" wrote in message ...
[...]

OK, I will check with Antec. The case is brand new, so I will see if
they will swap out the fans.

Thanks for the responses by you both. If either of you could take a
look at my post from last week, I would appreciate it. I can understand
what a thermal margin is but it doesn't give absolutes, only the
"safety" margin, as I see it... I am a bit confused by it.

Thanks again.
Old May 6th 08, 12:44 AM posted to comp.sys.intel
Ken[_8_]

"Ken" wrote in message ...
[...]

No luck. Checked with Antec. Have to purchase new fans to replace my
new fans.... but many thanks for explaining what needs to be done.
KK
Old May 6th 08, 12:51 AM posted to comp.sys.intel
John Doe

Ken wrote:

Have to purchase new fans to replace my new fans....

Or maybe you can connect them to the power supply outputs.
Old May 6th 08, 01:00 AM posted to comp.sys.intel
Ken[_8_]

John Doe said the following on 5/5/2008 4:51 PM:
Ken wrote:

Have to purchase new fans to replace my new fans....

Or maybe you can connect them to the power supply outputs.

No problem connecting them to the power supply Molex connectors. The
interior of the case is rather cool at idle, and I leave the server on
all the time. I thought I would enjoy the peace and quiet until the
fans were needed by running them only as needed, controlled by the
motherboard. Or is there some way of connecting them that you are
alluding to which I may not understand???

Thanks
Ken K
Old May 6th 08, 02:26 AM posted to comp.sys.intel
John Doe

Ken wrote:

No problem connecting them to the power supply Molex connectors.
The interior of the case is rather cool at idle, and I leave the
server on all the time. I thought I would enjoy the peace and
quiet until the fans were needed by running them only as needed,
controlled by the motherboard.

Like Bob said, fans with the connectors you're looking for are
common. I recently purchased a Hydro Wave (Panaflo) bearing fan for
my new DP35DP. I know Panasonic is very proud of their fans, and I
wanted one. Newegg sells fans that include a fan speed bracket, so
you can adjust the fan speed manually (maybe in combination with
temperature sensing).

If you don't mind putting some research into the issue, maybe visit
the site (www.silentpcreview.com). I'm not familiar with it, but
they probably review lots of fans. Fans don't all make the same
amount of noise.

Good luck and have fun.

Old May 10th 08, 05:23 PM posted to comp.sys.intel
John Doe

George Orwell nobody mixmaster.it wrote:

On Sun, 04 May 2008 12:34:15 -0700, Ken noreply charter.net wrote:

I am not sure if the fan header is thermostatically controlled

If you look in the BIOS there are settings for Lowest System Fan Speed and
System Fan Control.

Not in my BIOS 413 there isn't.

Take a look at a DP35DP actual BIOS setup screen.

If system fan control is enabled, the fans will either
spin slow at low temperatures or not at all, depending on the setting of
lowest system fan speed setting, slow or off. If system fan control is
disabled, the fans will spin at their maximum rate or whatever rate they
adjust to if they have internal thermal control.

https://www.mixmaster.it

Subject: DP35DP: fan header question
From: George Orwell nobody mixmaster.it
Date: Mon, 5 May 2008 18:17:29 +0200 (CEST)
Path: newsdbm02.news.prodigy.net!newsdst02.news.prodigy. net!prodigy.com!newscon02.news.prodigy.net!prodigy .net!border1.nntp.dca.giganews.com!border2.nntp.dc a.giganews.com!novia!newsfeed-fusi2.netcologne.de!news.netcologne.de!newsfeed-hp3.netcologne.de!border2.nntp.ams.giganews.com!nn tp.giganews.com!feeder6.cambrium.nl!feeder1.cambri um.nl!feed.tweaknews.nl!38.119.85.90.MISMATCH!news-out.newsfeeds.com!prop.superfeed.net!news-in1.superfeed.net!nntp.idg.pl!news.newsland.it!new sfeed.freenet.de!feeder.news-service.com!newsfeed.xs4all.nl!newsfeed2.news.xs4a ll.nl!newsgate.cistron.nl!xs4all!news.wiretrip.org !news.dizum.com!sewer-output!mail2news
Newsgroups: comp.sys.intel

From: George Orwell nobody mixmaster.it
Date: Mon, 5 May 2008 18:17:29 +0200 (CEST)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.intel