Can I get dual DVI output on one card?

Old August 28th 04, 10:45 AM
Jonathan E

Default Can I get dual DVI output on one card?

Hi

Probably a stupid question (I'm good at those!) but...

I'm thinking of buying two 17" TFTs for my PC. I'll need a new graphics card
which supports 2 monitors. All the ones I can find seem for have one
analogue VGA port and one 'digital' DVI port. I plan to get TFTs with DVI
inputs so would like to run them both DVI rather than one DVI and one
VGA/analogue.

I realise that you can get 'dongles' to convert the DVI port to VGA d-type
(I guess the DVI socket has digital and analogue pins) but I am presuming
that the standard VGA dtype does not support digital.

Does this make any kind of sense....upshot is how do I run two TFTs via DVI
from one graphics card?

Thanks

Jonathan
Nottingham, UK

Old August 28th 04, 11:11 AM
J. Clarke

Jonathan E wrote:

Hi

Probably a stupid question (I'm good at those!) but...

I'm thinking of buying two 17" TFTs for my PC. I'll need a new graphics
card which supports 2 monitors. All the ones I can find seem for have one
analogue VGA port and one 'digital' DVI port. I plan to get TFTs with DVI
inputs so would like to run them both DVI rather than one DVI and one
VGA/analogue.

I realise that you can get 'dongles' to convert the DVI port to VGA d-type
(I guess the DVI socket has digital and analogue pins) but I am presuming
that the standard VGA dtype does not support digital.

DVI-I has both sets of signals--most video boards have DVI-I outputs.

Does this make any kind of sense....upshot is how do I run two TFTs via
DVI from one graphics card?

Quick overview
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduct.asp?submit=property&DEPA=1.

Thanks

Jonathan
Nottingham, UK

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Old August 28th 04, 11:48 AM
Ken

On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 09:45:53 +0000 (UTC), "Jonathan E"
wrote:

Probably a stupid question (I'm good at those!) but...

I'm thinking of buying two 17" TFTs for my PC. I'll need a new graphics card
which supports 2 monitors. All the ones I can find seem for have one
analogue VGA port and one 'digital' DVI port. I plan to get TFTs with DVI
inputs so would like to run them both DVI rather than one DVI and one
VGA/analogue.

I realise that you can get 'dongles' to convert the DVI port to VGA d-type
(I guess the DVI socket has digital and analogue pins) but I am presuming
that the standard VGA dtype does not support digital.

Does this make any kind of sense....upshot is how do I run two TFTs via DVI
from one graphics card?

Matrox P750 have two DVI output.

Old August 28th 04, 02:53 PM
Time Waster

28 Aug 2004 09:45:53 +0000 (UTC), wrote:

I'm thinking of buying two 17" TFTs for my PC. I'll need a new graphics card
which supports 2 monitors. All the ones I can find seem for have one
analogue VGA port and one 'digital' DVI port. I plan to get TFTs with DVI
inputs so would like to run them both DVI rather than one DVI and one
VGA/analogue.

Look on Ebay for old Matrox G200MMS (including cables), mine was under
$50. Runs 4 Samsung 191Ts, and you will enjoy multiple screens so
much that not having the 'latest and greatest gaming video card' will
be unimportant.

The narrow Samsung frame is ideal for side-by-side placement, not to
mention their outstanding video.
Old August 28th 04, 03:40 PM
David Livingstone

In message , Ken
writes

Matrox P750 have two DVI output.

As does the cheaper P650

http://www.matrox.com/mga/products/mill_pseries/p650.cfm
--
David
Old August 30th 04, 04:14 PM
stealth

"David Livingstone" wrote in message
In message , Ken
writes

Matrox P750 have two DVI output.

As does the cheaper P650

Any input on when/if Matrox will provide dual DVI cards in PCI-E format?

Old August 30th 04, 04:42 PM
J. Clarke

stealth wrote:

"David Livingstone" wrote in message
In message , Ken
writes

Matrox P750 have two DVI output.

As does the cheaper P650

Any input on when/if Matrox will provide dual DVI cards in PCI-E format?

They've announced "by year end or later". Bet on "later".

Cheap dual port card? Vadim General 1 May 11th 04 01:04 AM
Dual Monitor & Gaming Video Card Sam Carleton Matrox Videocards 0 February 19th 04 06:56 PM
Dual Radeon video card with dual monitors in WInXP ?? J.Clarke Ati Videocards 0 October 21st 03 12:45 PM
Which make of ATI card has the sharpest VGA output? hg Ati Videocards 7 October 11th 03 08:39 PM
Which card for dual monitor, decent gaming, and AGP 2X/3.3v compatible jrubbles Ati Videocards 1 September 24th 03 03:32 AM